Disney Refugee officially Universal Addict

My parents used to live in Collierville until they retired to east TN.

2 Likes

Oh my! Aren’t we fancy!! Living with all the NBA players and FedEx Executives! :crazy_face: :money_mouth_face: :innocent:

I’m only kidding… I know there are plenty of “normal” places to live in that area.

2 Likes

This was a long time ago when it was farm country. Not fancy at all.
Now their FedEx executive friends lived in Germantown back then.

2 Likes

I grew up about 2 miles from Fred Smith’s house (FedEx founder)
I can’t pretend I’ve never lived anywhere “nice”…lol!!

2 Likes

Today is 100 days until my trip!!

I work out most days, but after I came back from Six Flags I had some dental work done. It didn’t go well. I should’ve called the doctor for help, but was stubborn. The pain caused me to not want to work out and I sat around all May. (I got it corrected this week…Whew!)

Now, I’ve got to get walking again! Does anyone else try to get into “theme park shape”? I know I’ll be walking at least 10 miles everyday and don’t want my legs to be jelly!! Plus, I don’t feel so guilty eating all those treats if I’m already in good shape. (Let’s not forget I have to look good in swim wear at VB too !! :rofl:)

I’ve been checking hotel / flight rates. The sale I had on the flight is going to be hard to beat. (It was a big motivator for booking!)

I have been feeling a bit “guilty” about this being such a long trip. However, I swear, every time I try to trim it down by 3 - 5 days the overall hotel price only goes down no more than $400. I see that and my mind says, “I’m losing value by not booking my whole trip!”

$400 is a nice chunk of cash, but the flights are typically around that these days. By going for longer I’m “saving” money on a future flight! :wink: (at least that’s how I justify it!)

The only way I can REALLY save money is to go back to Dockside. While I highly recommend Dockside, I’m so looking forward to a longer stay at Aventura. I want to see if it was a one night wonderful stay or if it’s always that nice. (Plus, if it is that nice all the time the extra $40 / night is worth it easily)

At the end of the day, I’m just trying to find ways to make myself feel better about splurging on this entire trip. I told myself I wasn’t coming back for 2 years and I only lasted 100 days before renewing my AP!!

I’m glad I’m breaking the trip up with a MNSSHP. (I’m starting to get mildly hyped - although reading Trip Reports today about BGs & such have stressed me out!! Even though I know I don’t have to deal with them!)

I would like couple another “excursion” or something to enhance the trip. If I had a partner, I’d suggest doing the BttF Escape Room. I’m definitely planning a very late final night singing at Catch a Rising Star. (I figure I can be a little hungover on the plane the next day!)

If anyone has thoughts on how to either cut days or save a large amount of money on a short trip versus 10 days, let me know. I don’t have a budget, I just feel sheepish about spoiling myself!!

My DW is so low maintenance, introverted and doesn’t LOVE these places so I feel a bit uncomfortable planning ANOTHER vacation. TBH - She’d rather be at home reading than anything else on Earth. She’s excited for me too, but that doesn’t make me feel less like some mean husband that keeps his family at home while he’s out partying!

(I mean DD is going to Italy in a month w/out us. So I guess I can’t feel too bad!)

7 Likes

I do the same thing! I was walking 10,000 steps a day before my trip and it helped me tremendously. I’ve been able to mostly keep that up post-trip. Starting it is the hardest part!

I understand this too! I always feel guilty splurging on myself. However, if you can afford it, you should treat yourself! If your wife wanted to go on a reading-only trip, you wouldn’t be bothered one bit and would give her two thumbs up to go :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you been to SeaWorld? They have awesome coasters including a new standing one that just opened. You can normally find good discounts on tix.

I have! I added it to my February 2022 trip. It was fun. I thought about going to Howl-O-Scream, but it’s only happening on the weekends. These are the best HHN nights. They are staffed fully on the weekends for more scares and the vibes are a little more like a party versus a Wednesday night.

Plus, I’m leaving those weekend nights flexible for Hagrid’s night rides and Dark Arts/Death Eaters in Hogsmeade

1 Like

I have a decision I need help with…

I have to check in on night #1 at a hotel then transfer to Aventura the next day.

Currently, I have room at Dockside for a total of $97.99 tax & fees included…

I found a lower rate today at Dockside for a total of $73.63 tax & fees included…

However, the rate at CBBR is a total of $107.68 tax & fess included…

I don’t love CBBR for a long stay. However, it is much quieter than Dockside at night. Plus, and most important, that check-out day I am going to Volcano Bay all day. I don’t hate CBBR either though…

I would already be right there at VB that morning and it would make the move to Aventura a little easier…

I would be paying about $20 more total than I currently am to go to CBBR. My logistics, the next morning, are easier or I could save about $25 and stay where I am… (That’s a couple Butterbeers and a snack!)

What would you do for one night? (especially for those that have followed my UOR TRs before I know my thoughts on CBBR…)

• Stay at Dockside and save $25
  • Move to Cabana Bay for $10 more

0 voters

2 Likes

I went ahead and grabbed the CBBR rate…

It’s really about $20 more than I previously booked because I know I’ll be too lazy to walk my bags. (I’m staying long enough that this trip I’ll have two full bags instead of my usual one)

The ease of being able to sleep in a little more and then walk back to get my luggage immediately after VB made it the smarter choice. Besides this will be my third stay at CBBR. I think that will give me a qualified opinion on it going forward. I will try to go into it with an open mind though!

I will say that it does show that you can $65 / night at Dockside if you look for it!

6 Likes

In my daily checking on rates I found that I could book CBBR for my ENTIRE stay for LESS than anything I currently have booked. No moving & saving about $100 overall…

I couldn’t do it. It would be so convenient for my arrival and such. However, that campus is too big!! I reread my previous TR about my CBBR stays and it really helped make the decision. I’d rather pay the $100 more & have to move hotels on day two in order to be able to walk right into the hotel lobby and get into the elevator to my room those 9 other nights.

(I recommend doing a TR just for that reason alone! You’ll be surprised at how often you use it as a reference for the future trips!)

I don’t like a lot about CBBR - as a adult solo traveler. I can’t stay there that long. One night is fine - especially at no significant price increase.

I’ve only seen the price at Aventura go up & up. I’m going to keep searching though! Maybe I’ll finally get to arrive & stay in one place! :rofl: :wink:

7 Likes

Yeah that’s not worth the savings. Vise move.

2 Likes

I’ve officially booked flights for the last week of October and I’ve loved reading through this! I’m actually torn on what hotel to book for two adults and a 4 year old. Cabana Bay seems more family friendly but Aventura looks more me friendly LOL. I’m considering doing the 30% off room and 5 day ticket deal… and the hotel options they give are Cabana Bay and Aventura. I don’t know what to do! I’ve never stayed at either. I’m missing my AP right about now…

4 Likes

Your 4 year old won’t really care and know if (s)he’s missing anything. You would probably appreciate the low-key Aventura if you’re used to a busy/large hotel.

All the “family friendliness” at CB means is crowded pools and louder hallways. :wink:

The Water Taxi would be very handy at Aventura also.

4 Likes

The pool is nice, but the other activities like bowling, arcade, bonfires might be too much for them. However, the atmosphere, dining and rooms are designed with families in mind.

If you are planning on making Volcano Bay a part of your visit, especially if you go twice or more, then I would consider staying at CBBR.

Aventura, IMHO, has a very “sterile” vibe. It’s like sleeping inside an Apple Store. It’s all metal, white paint and glass. It’s the opposite of “family friendly”. It looks like a business travelers hotel. That’s what I like about it though…

If the prices are the same, I don’t know what I’d do either!!

There are lots of good things about CBBR. I’ll gladly go back and look at my past TRs to find my thoughts on the resort if you want to hear them.

This is one of the big positives are CBBR. The floors are carpet. IME - You don’t hear other guests anywhere as much as other resorts. It’s one of the things I do love about CBBR. It’s one of my biggest reasons for staying there versus staying at Dockside for $40 less…

Have you looked into the Buy 2 Days Get 3 Free ticket and then doing the hotel separate to see if it saves you more? I don’t know if it will, but it could!

5 Likes

I have checked before and that Prime Value hotel package promotion is a great deal. A good bit less than the tickets deal and room separately.

3 Likes

We plan to do one day at volcano bay! Not sure about two yet. We’ve never been so it might end up being a game time decision on whether or not we want more time there! Otherwise we will just be taking it slow at the parks since we will have our 4 year old son with us (not ideal, but the only way we could be gone for a week, haha!)

I haven’t committed to book the deal yet because i’m still considering a split stay between disney and universal… i’m just being indecisive! I know my kiddo would have more fun at disney but my husband and I just love halloween horror nights so much! How much were the multi-day passes last year? Or is that listed in your old trip report? I should prob just go back and read that again haha.

If they would just announce some disney after hour events for the fall then i’d book the universal deal and do one of those instead of a possibly split stay! I guess there’s Mickey’s Not So Scary party I could consider…

1 Like

That’s OK. I had to go look it up this year when I decided to go back to HHN. I got and am planning on buy again the “Rush of Fear” pass. It lets you go the first four weeks of Sept. for $129.99

There are three other tiers of HHN multi-day passes that will let you go in Oct. for week nights ONLY for $179.99 another for all the Oct. dates for $219. and the “ultimate” for all nights in both months for $329.99

None of these passes come with Express Pass (UXP). When I added that to my Rush of Fear it was another $300. So, my total cost for a Rush of Fear Pass with UXP was $500 with tax & etc…

Which resort gives you the better rate? Or are you wanting to stay at each for on-site benefits? (Some people stay at Dockside to save money when going to both theme parks!)

1 Like

My DW just surprised me with an early Father’s day gift! DD21 is going with me to HHN!! (for the first few nights!)

I had mentioned that SW has 40% off flights and the Buy 2 Get 3 Days Free UOR ticket recently. (She got value out of the AP her first trip, but I’ll save $150 on this ticket)

Overall, I’m saving $500! (Plus, I’ll be able to “double dip” on HHN Express Pass queues like I did last year using her Express Pass after she goes home!)

I’m so glad that HHN has become our father / daughter “tradition”!!

21 Likes

What a great gift! You really wanted this!

6 Likes