Disney mask change

I think that is what I’ve experienced most of the time anywhere I have been with masks optional in the past several months. People aren’t worried about what other people are doing, especially when it comes to wearing a mask. Hopefully that sticks around. If someone wants to wear a mask, let them be.

5 Likes

I should add that I am a germaphobe. The pandemic has made it much, much worse.

3 Likes

When I went to a WalMart in South Carolina in May 2020 (!), I was wearing my mask and no one else was. I passed by one woman who muttered “sheeple” as she passed by me and my wife. I just had to laugh. :joy: Such a silly judgment to make.

7 Likes

I guess… :man_shrugging:

From Universal:

Here are the latest safety updates for your visit.

• Face coverings are optional for fully vaccinated guests. For guests who have not been vaccinated, face coverings are encouraged while indoors - including restaurants, shops and indoor hotel public areas.
  • We do not require proof of vaccinations

FAQ:

If I am fully vaccinated, what guidelines do I need to follow?

Guests who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear face coverings while indoors or outdoors.

1 Like

:frowning:

I’m sorry

1 Like

You were in a Walmart… that should tell you something.

6 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t because they overheard you making your points about Hagrid’s vs RotR?

(Obviously this is awful, you were probably smart to ignore and move on.)

7 Likes

A lot of people have had to wear masks in public waaaaay before this pandemic for various health reasons. My SIL wore one for 2 years before Covid became a thing. No one thought anything about it. The ones that heckle are surely in the crowd that equate masks with political standing.

3 Likes

This is a little bit interesting because I thought it was a federal mandate on public transportation. But I am so far behind the times on this whole thing WRT that level of detail

1 Like

It is! Because that term can be turned right back around on the accuser :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

it is but not enforced in FL… well on buses anyways…

1 Like

Those general guidelines seemed to be aligned to what is being put into place in many communities. There is just usually an additional “masks are required on transportation” (also medical settings here). As we lift masks in schools, masks are still required on our buses per federal rules.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the federal mandate for transportation was just extended until mid-March.

1 Like

My departure day from Universal was the first day of no masks. I didn’t go into the parks, but stood near the bus pick-up at Dockside as I waited for my Lyft for about 30 minutes.

The day before they wouldn’t let you on without it. That first morning the policy was removed only about 10% of people were still using them as they boarded.

2 Likes

DD7 (at the time) was very sick in January 2020 and her Dr.'s office required anyone with flu like symptoms to wear a surgical mask inside. She was in tears/mortified to put it on, whereas now it’s second nature for her to wear one. If the past 2 years has does anything positive, hopefully it de-stigmatizes masks for those that need to wear them.

8 Likes

When I was there in July the requirements were what they are moving back to. Me and DD wore masks indoors. No one harassed us. Ocassionally I made her wear one outdoors in crowds because she wasn’t vaccinated yet. We weren’t the only ones.

Transportation compliance was decent, and about the same as when we went in December: an occasional family purposefully ignoring the rules, an occasional person who didnt realize their mask was under their nose or simply forgot to put it on.

2 Likes

Regarding the difference In mask usage on Disney versus universal buses. For universal, the buses are completely private, but since reedy Creek is actually a government entity and Disney is a municipality in Florida, I wonder if they are subject to the federal mandate. While Florida itself may not enforce it, I imagine Disney will stay with the CDC guidance and only drop it on buses and transportation once the CDC lifts that requirement everywhere else.

5 Likes

Just got back from WDW on Sunday. The worst mask (non)compliance was on the monorail, so it’s interesting to me that they’re still keeping that “rule” in force.

Personally, I don’t care whether people wear masks or don’t wear masks. But if there’s a rule in place, and some people are following it and you choose not to, it’s just downright disrespectful to those who are.

12 Likes

It’s interesting how soft the new wording is for those who are not vaxxed. No use of “required.” (Words bolded by me.) Between that and not asking for status, hopefully there won’t be many strong showdowns.

Universal: For guests who have not been vaccinated, face coverings are encouraged

WDW: We expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated

2 Likes

That’s a good point and common decency. It’s not even just between pro-mask and anti-mask. Someone against masks and blatantly breaking a rule because of it is also a slap in the face to someone else who is just as much against masks but sucking it up temporarily because it’s the rule even if they disagree with the rule.

14 Likes