Disney Food You Made At Home

Why the heck is this Golden Malted stuff so friggin expensive?!

It’s.
Waffle.
Mix.

$10+ for a box of waffle mix? $20 if you go through amazon? What the what? (when Williams Sonoma has the cheaper price, you know you done messed up!)

Oh…and just to contribute to the thread beyond just a whining complaint about expensive waffle mix:

10 Likes

On your next trip to WDW, you must eat Mickey waffles everyday for breakfast instead of having BOG for breakfast almost everyday. That way, you will remember what they taste like.

4 Likes

That’s fair.

And I would too if there was some place that offered waffles that gave me PPO abilities.

(Course there is also the issue of “Does ANYONE know how they actually taste?” After all, you douse them in syrup and butter, masking the flavor. And what are the odds of having the same syrup and butter combo at home?)

2 Likes

I just had the last piece and it was better, but just nothing like it should taste!

1 Like

I just made waffles (not Mickey shaped) using Golden Malted last night after reading about it here.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Bag is stupid. Hard to tear open, and then the “zip loc” on it didn’t work at all, no matter how hard I tried. I had to place the leftover package inside a separate zip loc baggie.

2. Taste was definitely much better than what I get from other waffle/pancake mixes (including when I made it from scratch), so the malt, barley, and corn flour in it definitely adds to the flavor.

3. Texture was probably the biggest difference. Much more crispy than other mixes.

BUT, I will say, overall, it isn’t QUITE as good as the waffles I’ve gotten in hotels. (Honestly, never had a waffle at Disney, so I can only go by hotels.) Part of that might be the waffle iron itself. Typically, it takes about 2 1/2 minutes to make a waffle in a hotel waffle iron. With my waffle iron, it takes more like 5 minutes…so I think part of the problem is that it just doesn’t get as hot.

Overall, though, I was much happier with this mix than anything else I’ve tried.

2 Likes

I actually agree with all 3 of your points, as well as your overall summary. Wow…

I eat my waffles pretty plain. They are crispy.

I’ve only had Mickey waffles once in my life (Does that tell you anything?) at Disney. I just wasn’t wowed by them. I’m not a big breakfast eater on vacation, and there are there other breakfast foods I would rather eat that have more nutritional value than just starch. Bring on plates full of bacon (which I only eat on vacation), omelettes, and sunny side up eggs. I love GF Cafe’s Egg Benedicts (drooling here).

I thought I would be wowed by the waffle mix. I wasn’t. I bought 3 bags last year and I still have one of them. To us, they are just waffles. Mickey shaped makes them cute.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah no. They’re straight awful 90% of the time. Either overcooked, dry, or tastes bland. Same with the bacon. It’s the setting that makes them delicious. :laughing:

Though once in a while you’ll get a good batch. Oddly enough, best batch I’ve had to date was at Chef Mickey’s

1 Like

This explains everything!

Yes, it’s just waffle mix, but it is delicious waffle mix. I’m not a breakfast or waffle person, but we order the mix and it is spot on minus the whole being at Disney part.

Oh and BTW we have that same exact Mickey mug!

1 Like

We order the canisters directly from the Golden Malted website. Much easier to store than a ziplock pouch. I think the vanilla also adds to the good flavor aspect, but they are perfectly crispy.

:heart_eyes:Freaking love my Mickey mug. I’m sad they don’t make them anymore. Would probably pick one up as a backup should calamity strike.

Though the new skyliner travel mug has currently replaced it as my go to. But it helps cause it keeps The coffee hot longer.

And you may be interested by the new one they have out. @JuliaMc informed me today that there is now a Star Wars one. Which has Luke and the droids on it ( not Rey, shockingly enough)

1 Like

Ooooh I will have to check that out when we go next. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Ooookay. My iron arrived today (only 3 days late, thanks ups) and I just made a batch.

I think the egg is your issue. Use a real one. Mine tasted just like they do in the parks… well after I figured out that you almost need to burn them first. Disney way over cooks the waffles In my opinion, so once you match the cooking part, yeah they’re identical in taste.

However it’s still not a 1:1 to what’s in the parks. The ones in the parks are thicker. These are only an 3/4 inch thick where as the waffles in the parks are 1-1 1/4 inch. But this is above and beyond what eggo has, so it’s really not a big deal. Actually, almost helps. Cause you wouldn’t want them to be exact otherwise you’d have nothing to look forward to once you get there.

Now I’m gonna take an after-waffle nap. I earned it. :yum:

5 Likes

Awesome! I’ve actually made Mickey Waffles every Saturday morning since I got the iron. It is now a family tradition I guess…

I agree. And I’m looking forward to the real thing in 60 days!

1 Like

Hey, I thought you didn’t remember how those Mickey waffles tasted?

1 Like

I truly thought I didn’t… till I ate one. Then it was instant recognition. And the first one was too “under done” and I realized it needed to be more cooked, and then that one was spot on.

3 Likes

What Disney cookbooks are best for the newer, current items over the last few years? My daughter and I would love to start trying things at home!

1 Like

Best. Purchase. Ever.

9 Likes

They look like the parks!