Disney Food You Made At Home

Over the summer I made a peach cobbler and had more peach mixture than would fit in the pan. I poured the leftover “juice” which was thick and cooked with sugar and a bit of lemon juice into a jar and saved it for when I had champagne. It sunk to the bottom and all of the champagne was slightly peachy, but most of the flavor was at the bottom.

1 Like

I will try cooking the strawberries then, it sounds like maybe that is the right track! Also, that champagne drink sounds so good, I might have to try that too!!!

2 Likes

Today’s Disney food at home is Mickey Rice Krispie treats.

16 Likes

My wife got me the “Unofficial Disney Parks Cookbook” for our Anniversary a couple weeks ago. (I couldn’t remember / find the thread where others got the book too.)

I decided to crack it open and randomly pick one dish. Turns out it was Matterhorn Macaroons! (Very simple to make)

I was pleased with them, especially for a first attempt. I’ve never had any macaroon before, so I have no frame of reference. Sadly (?), I’m the only person in my home who likes coconut. It made a dozen, so I’ve got some work to do!

5 Likes

we just got a cookbook in metrics and there are some great online grams:cups converters (me trying to calculate it was a nightmare!). now if i could just remember to write it in the book so i don’t have to do it every time!!!

3 Likes

I was using online converters. And then liner provided conversions. Nothing I’ve made has turned out anything close to right! I don’t know where I’m going wrong. I’m a good baker!

1 Like

One big difference is when you aren’t using weights for measuring flour, in particular, HOW You scoop out your floor can make a huge difference.

Ideally, scoop the flour INTO a measuring cup, and SCRAPE the excess off the top. If you scoop the flour directly with the measuring cup, you can compact it and end up with too much.

2 Likes

I don’t think that was the issue, but I’m at a loss to say what was so it’s worth a try. How do you get a cup of butter? I struggled with that one.

1 Like

In the U.S., sticks of butter are packaged such that you have 1/2 cup per stick. There are gradations for each tablespooon as well on the wrapper. So a cup is a full stick of butter. Not sure how butter is sold elsewhere!

1 Like

Oh that would be easy. Ours is sold in 250g blocks.

1 Like

Other helpful things to know:

3 teaspoons (tsp) = 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp)
4 Tablespoons (Tbsp) = 1/4 cup
An egg in a recipe is approximately 1/4 cup. If you have significantly less or more than a 1/4 cup from an egg, you might need to compensate.

The size of a CUP in the US is equivalent to the volume that 8 ounces of water takes. So if you measure out 8 Fluid ounces of water, that is exactly 1 cup.

1 Like

I have proper US cups - Disney ones in fact - that lovely @eeeevah bought for me. I just need to get used to using them!

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with online converters. Maybe you are using a site that doesn’t let you choose which type of flour or sugar? That could make a difference.

Another option. Maybe the provided recipe isn’t precisely right. A friend of a friend is a chef with a restaurant and a TV show. He said he never precisely demonstrates his recipes, and that he isn’t the only one that does that. He’ll do things like chop the veggies to a different size or leave out an ingredient. Then when people say “I made XYZ and it wasn’t like yours” he’ll shrug and say “Well, I’m the chef.” Maybe the recipes do the same thing?

A third possible option. If the ingredient has a nutrition label and isn’t flour or sugar I’ll use that. For example, sour cream. Maybe those types of things are off for you.

I thought of a fourth option with baking. Fat content of the butter. That can make a difference and more fat isn’t always better.

2 Likes

The sites I used for conversion did have different types, but using the cups didn’t work out either. I’m using the official WDW cookbook so I would hope it’s close to correct! I’m sure it’s not far enough away to be intended to produce what I have made :joy: I’ve only done cakes. What I made were not cakes. I had never even considered that different butters might have different fat contents. But since I don’t know the preferred fat content for the recipes, I’m not sure how much that helps. Then again I had trouble getting a cup of butter. It’s probably a mixture of all this stuff. It’s very disappointing!

3 Likes

I totally agree with all of @shawthorne44 points.

Have you tried moving to weights instead of volume from some things? I use weights often because it is just easier sometimes. And believe it or not, I use metrics more often than English!

I consider myself a good baker. Yet, I can’t tell you how many treats have ended up in the compost!

1 Like

I moved to cups because nothing was coming out using weights and I couldn’t find the recipes using weights.

2 Likes

I use online converters for weights for common items like all purpose flour and different sugars, that I have put on a cheat sheet.

Maybe it’s English flour? Is it the same as our all purpose? Sometimes for baked goods, we use bread flour or cake flour too! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I was using online converters. And sites that explained what the flour or sugar was - all purpose is plain I think, I assume cake flour is self raising, it wasn’t used in any of the recipes I’ve tried.

1 Like

Cake flour isn’t self rising, but has lower gluten content. There are ways you can add corn starch to all purpose flour to make more like cake flour. I almost never use cake flour for cakes, but they will turn out better if you do.

ETA: Swap out 2 Tbsp of flour for cornstarch for each cup to convert all purpose to cake. Whisk it together well!

2 Likes

See https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/baking-guide/flour-101-guide-to-different-types-and-uses

Well, I think you have spent enough time trying to trouble shoot the recipes. The solution, then, is for you to visit WDW more often and enjoy the goodies already made! Perhaps invest in one of those portable vacuum sealers @OBNurseNH tested successfully so that you can enjoy the baked goodies once you are home, too!:wink:

3 Likes