Disney Dining Plan Relaunch - 2024-01-09

Our own Christina is in the parks testing out DDP rules and loopholes.

Here’s one money-saving tip she’s confirmed already. I think one of the drinks she ordered was around $22. Got it for a snack credit.

24 Likes

But was it drinkable?

Good intel - I think it worked like that in the past too but good to see it still working

Will you be updating this thread all day sharing these details?? I’m hungry…

10 Likes

The QS plan, with alcohol, and in-park dedicated meals, seemed to have potential. I can’t wait to see what Christina discovers.

8 Likes

Literally the first question Laurel asked. :rofl:

13 Likes

I am a little ashamed to admit it but on the free DDP in 2019 I would grab a large can of beer if getting breakfast at the resort. I would save it for an evening poolside drink. I would use my resort mug for morning coffee with breakfast. They were around $10 If I recall correctly.

10 Likes

Might want to change the year in the thread title. :wink:

2 Likes

Good catch, I knew there was something wrong :joy: I’ve updated it.

4 Likes

Actually, this is brilliant if you plan on using a QS credit for breakfast!

2 Likes

Weren’t the mugs free on the plan? Or was that the deluxe plan? Are they included in the new plans?

2 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

More examples of DDP loopholes from in the parks today.

At the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, toppings are free on the DDP but cost $0.69 each if paying cash.

This Brownie Sundae with 8 toppings is considered a DDP Snack:

The cash price of the Brownie Sunday is $9.36 and the cash price of the toppings alone is $5.88 (totals with tax), for a total cost of $15.24. That’s not a bad value for snacks.

Receipt:

15 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. Mugs are included on both DDP. The large beers were around $10.

Yes I was using a QS meal credits for breakfast.

5 Likes

Did she order a brownie sundae “with everything” or “loaded”??

4 Likes

I think she called out the toppings she wanted.

5 Likes

I just removed the dining plan from my May trip. I felt too much pressure to make it worth it. I decided to do a Monsieur Paul dinner and we will pay for our meals out of pocket for more flexibility to share meals & snacks.

9 Likes

This is my type of research :joy:

3 Likes

This is my thought. On our last trip before covid I kept track of all our food spending. Over a 8D/7N trip for two adults the dining plan would have cost about $400 more than we spent pay-as-you-go. Note that we don’t do character meals, I don’t recall my husband buying any alcohol, and I drink only water so no soda costs.

3 Likes

Same for us. Never can make it worth it. But I get the appeal.

Still, if you have to work so hard at making it worth that you end up having to eat 1000+ extra calories per day to make it worth it…then it wasn’t worth it! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I could see the appeal with the old plan and rate. But not this one. 1 less snack credit, no QS for 3 snacks (great for festivals as snack credits can be maximized) and 2 TS credits for places that used to be 1. Oh, at a higher cost. The higher cost was expected but not for a diminished product.
I would rather just pay out of pocket anyway for most trips. There was 1 where we were able to make the free dining work. 5 in a room with 3 children at adult prices. Other then that, math wasn’t mathing.

2 Likes

When we had 2 rooms and kids 3-9, I found value in the DDP when purchased for 1 of our rooms. But even then, it was often too much food when an app, entree, and dessert were included. Now that my kids are Disney adults but still often prefer to order the kids cheeseburger or chicken tenders, it is not worth it. Especially b/c I don’t want to work to try to get our money’s worth. It’s vacation, I want to eat what I want.

But I do see the appeal in finding all the loopholes and the ways to get more value…for research sake of course.

3 Likes