Disney confirms two major expansion projects in Florida "Beyond Big Thunder Mountain" at MK and "Tropical Americas" at AK

Disney confirms two major expansion projects in Florida themeparkinsider.com

Disney confirms two major expansion projects in Florida

Scott Gustin on X: “NEW: Walt Disney World is currently in the process of filing permits for development work behind Magic Kingdom that will prepare the area for a future expansion expected to be the largest expansion in the park’s history. https://t.co/nGmn78ZkH7” / X (twitter.com)

BREAKING: Disney Begins Initial Work for “Beyond Big Thunder Mountain” Expansion at Magic Kingdom blogmickey.com

BREAKING: Disney Begins Initial Work for "Beyond Big Thunder Mountain" Expansion at Magic Kingdom

Looks like Indiana Jones and an Encanto Dark Ride are a definite go at AK.

10 Likes

Yay! Excited to see more details on this at D23!

Imagineer Neal Emery on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5VCtYNvesr/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

5 Likes

OMG that could be freakin amazing if they do it right and nobody screws with their funding!

7 Likes

One thing I was thinking about when looking at the concept art, and now this video…is this will be the THIRD step pyramid we have on WDW property. One at the pool, one in Mexico, and now this one. I hope they do something that sets this one apart.

3 Likes

Yeah this one you do monetary sacrifices to the Disney Imagineers at the top.

(Glad to see they are going the way of Asia/Africa and not Movie-themed-Land like Pandora)

10 Likes

:100:

5 Likes

So does that mean the river will now consider the “ocean” :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah. It would be dumb if they did an Indiana Jones land, or Encanto Land, or Coco…

Ahem.

:grin:

But seriously, I agree that I am glad they are doing a Tropical Americas theme. I wish they could pick up Pandora and move it to HS…seems like a better fit there. But it is what it is.

4 Likes

Obligatory note that AK was planned to include the fantasy beasts section, so Pandora just took that spot.

6 Likes

Concept Art for Tropical America

From the Points Guy website story

TPG goes behind the scenes as Disney unveils $60 billion toward future of theme parks

7 Likes

Tropical Americas cool! But why is water lappin at my big thunder mountain?

3 Likes

I feel like they don’t need to lean into Mayan or Aztec culture/architecture/myths here. There is plenty to work with without that.

And pleaese, please I hope theu expand the zoo part to include appropriate enclosures and some animals from this area.

Up! Also fots in here but they seem to be skipping on that.

3 Likes

I’m correct that this is BTMRR at DL, not MK right?

2 Likes

Looking at Google maps satellite views, it looks more like MK to me.

2 Likes

This is critical. The bean counters botched New Fantasyland with all the cuts and years later it really shows.

I’d add that I hope WDW doesn’t drag out this process for 5-7 years where we hear lots of hype but the new land doesn’t open until the 2030s. The process should have started earlier so the AK land could open in 2025 and the MK land could open in 2026 in order to compete with Epic Universe.

6 Likes

Universal manages to do years of construction without actually telling people what is going to be in the land!

3 Likes

Looking at pics from Coastergallery.com It looks like WDW

Disney Parks (coastergallery.com)

WDW

Disneyland

2 Likes

Yep - you are right. For some reason my memory places the hot springs at DL not MK. But I am wrong!

3 Likes

I also hope if AK brings in Coco and Encanto, they do it well. And then choose something else for beyond Big Thunder. I don’t want the same IP in every park. Aside from the Fab Five. I’m trying to think if there are examples of IP repeated across the parks…

2 Likes