Disappointing things to happen

Continuing on my theme of vacation medical disasters, my 4 yo DD got a kidney infection on the way to Hawaii. She was potty training so we thought she was just using that as an excuse to get out of her seat every half hour while on the plane.

We went out for our 10th anniversary dinner, & thank God I kiss the kids goodnight, she was absolutely ON FIRE! Our nanny was young and just didn’t know. Anyway- we roll into the clinic on Kauai and they want to admit her to Queen’s Hospital on Oahu, where we were headed next.

Weeelllll… I noted it was July 2- and we said NO WAY was she going to a teaching hospital. (The new interns & residents start July 1) & we did not want her treated by someone who’d been a doctor for like, two whole months! So they dosed her up with IV antibiotics, and let her go with us, on the condition she must strictly take her antibiotics orally and if she didn’t, she needed to go in. That sounded logical.

So we were sitting around in a lovely penthouse apt. on Waikiki on July 4th moping and crabby because she couldn’t go out, when all of a sudden the windows began to shake!

We ran to the huge picture windows and Lo! & behold!- it was the Navy Thunderbirds swooping in to do an air show! I could see the pilot and the delicate feathering on the painted “wings” on his plane. We had front row seats to it thanks to a sick kid- and she loved it! Silver linings!

10 Likes

Sssshhhh- my two eldest, now 24 and 26, think they steered and docked the Liberty Belle. I am desperately afraid they’ll go back up to the Captain and talk to him again on our next trip. They really do still think they did.

5 Likes

I always though Pleasure Island was a super creepy name for that place, like something out of a dystopian NC17 scifi movie. I know where the name came from, but even then it had very negative connotations. I never understood why Disney did that.

3 Likes

Back a long time ago now, in the days before kids, DH and I decide to book a romantic week in Paris.

We’d decided it was time to start a family, and knowing these things take time, I stop taking the pill in around March. Trip all booked for May, nice weather, not too hot, perfect …

Yep, you guessed already. Got confirmation 2 weeks before I’m pregnant! Luckily I had a pretty easy first trimester, but was tired all the time. I actually remember napping on a bench in the Instituit de Sciences (or whatever it’s name was) whilst DH looked around. No Space Mountain or Pirates ride at DLP for me, had to order steak well done to ensure it was only pink in the middle - I was lucky not to be wearing said steak when the chef came out. Luckily I had already learned the phrase “Je suis enciente” from the metro seats by the door. Came in handy all the time lol!

So much for romance!

4 Likes

Because, Pleasure Island was a place to get drunk in the book, and it was the place to get drunk at Disney!

Seemed, in a weird way, appropriate. I am just surprised that Disney made such a connection, considering their alcohol free policy everywhere else at the time.

I think Disney was trying to appeal to the young adult crowd (20s). It was around this time period that we also saw the creation of the Extraterrorestrial Encounter…also meant to draw in the young adults.

1 Like

On two separate vacations, including one of our Disney trips, we found out we were pregnant. The Disney trip was especially exciting, since that was for our first child. (That same trip is when I started to grow my beard…and I’ve had it ever since.)

3 Likes

Sure, but it’s still creepy. Among other things, not every 20-something is familiar with Peter Pan. Then it sounds even creepier! Like something out of BladeRunner.

1 Like

True.

I think you mean Pinocchio. :slight_smile:

On our honeymoon, my wife and I went to Pleasure Island just to check it out. We started at this coffee place as you entered, where it was so loud, we could barely talk. But we decided to brave it a littler further, and went into one of the clubs that was themed after a 20s speakeasy or something. We lasted about 5 minutes there before we were bored. We then went back out, but they were starting this dance party that was even LOUDER than it had been before where we were lucky managing to read lips.

I’m not sure we lasted more than 30 minutes total. But, it is a memory, at least!

3 Likes

Haha, not every 50-something is familiar with Peter Pan!

1 Like

:wink:

It’s easy. Peter Pan is about the boy who grows up raised in the Jungle.

No wait. That’s not right. The boy who grows up raised in the Jungle is Moana.

No wait. Moana is about a girl who has super long hair and lives in a tower.

No wait. That’s Cinderella!

No wait. Cinderella is about a prince who turns has to kiss a sleeping girl.

No wait. The sleeping girl is called Ariel.

No wait. Ariel is in that movie about a prince who was turned into a hideous beast.

No wait. The hideous beast was a boy whose nose would grow when he told lies.

5 Likes

I have to confess, I was never into classic Disney. I thought all the Princesses were seriously wimpy. I never “got” Mickey and Minnie, Donald Duck was too Goofy and Dumbo made me cry.

I did like Cruella DeVille, though. That woman at least knew her own mind. I have a Cruella costume I wear on Halloween when I’m not Rey or Leia, which is highly ironic since I’m such a sucker for stray dogs & cats and have several- not for their coats, either! So I do love Lady & The Tramp as well.

The Disney Renaissance was more my style, I loved Belle in particular, the first nerdy girl who was also cute. After being raised on Scooby Doo and Velma, she was a breath of fresh air for nerdy girls everywhere. Leia could also shoot better than Luke & wouldn’t take orders from Han, but still wore dresses and looked like a lady. I appreciated that as well.

The more recent Princesses don’t seem to have Princes, I miss the romance of the earlier movies. Disney Renaissance is really just perfect for me.

4 Likes

January 2017 we went to WDW with our 2 sons (early 20s). The day we left, a major winter storm was approaching Richmond VA. Earlier in the day, we got a message that our flight had been delayed by an hour and then an hour later it was moved back to original time…I guess not everyone got the 2nd email, including the gate!!! So we boarded the plane for original time and waited an hour because some folks still weren’t on (gate still said flight was delayed even though it wasn’t). By that point, it had already started sleeting/snowing, so we had to wait another almost 2 hours to have the plane de-iced. Not good to make an older lady sit for almost 3 hours with no access to bathroom! It ended up being a great trip, although I wore my winter coat to EPCOT the following day

4 Likes

Well, nice of them to let you nap! I was also expecting on a trip to DC and was really light-headed at the Smithsonian, so I laid down on a bench- and the security guard came around and told me “No loitering!” :astonished:

It was kind of, um, obvious that I was actually loitering for two. :roll_eyes:

What a jerk.

3 Likes

OMG my mom lives in Heathsville!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! You just confirmed all my worst fears about FOP. :sweat_smile:

We’re going to AK on a Sunday, and leaving the next day. My DH thinks I’m nuts but I told him I wanted to keep that morning open in case we have to RD FOP or use an anytime FP on it.

2 Likes

Oh wow! I don’t think there was any way to prepare for that happening. Glad everything turned out okay.

1 Like

On our first trip as a family, we were staying in a Royal Princess room at Riverside. I’d been telling my family that the rooms were decorated with gifts from the princesses to Tiana. Unbeknownst to me, DH had been telling DD4 that there were going to be gifts left for her in the room by the princesses. Needless to say there were a LOT of tears. I’m still not sure how the misunderstanding occurred.

Always plan for the worst case scenario with these things!

1 Like

Nearly 20 years ago my family took a trip to London where my youngest sister was doing her semester abroad. We finished the trip with a long weekend in Ireland - I think my dad and middle sister went ahead of us and were there for St. Patrick’s Day.

Anyway, we all meet up in Kilkenny at the family home of my middle sister’s boyfriend (they eventually married…and divorced). Heating in the house - especially overnight - was minimal and it was cold. My sisters and I were all sharing a bedroom with one double bed and a twin. One side of the double bed was closest to the heater so it was premium real estate.

The night it was my turn to have the spot my sister kept waking me up all night, complaining that she was cold. Ha ha, no way sis! It’s my night with the heat. She finally went downstairs to her then BF. He thinks she’s there for something other than comfort and tries to shoo her away. She breaks down crying. BF goes to comfort her and realizes she’s burning up with fever. Meanwhile, I’m snuggled up to the heater, happy as a clam.

I wake up the next morning to half the household missing. Come to find out BF had whisked my sis off to the hospital overnight where she’d been admitted with a UT infection. Oops. Put the brakes on the rest of our trip and she even had to check herself out against medical advice to catch our flight home. Lesson #1 in why I don’t travel abroad without trip insurance.

5 Likes

Yes, yikes! It’s a little cost to pay (if your CC doesn’t offer it, and even if it does one has to read the fine print). I think things are MORE likely to happen to people on vacay, we all burn the candle at both ends when we travel. Sometimes we do things we don’t normally do. All of which adds up to a higher chance of getting hurt or sick, IMHO.

And as I mentioned above, I have gold-plated medical evac insurance that will bring me right back to my hometown, not even just to the nearest capable facility. And will do it for my kids who are away at college, too. I buy it separately on a subscription basis. I got off lucky the last time that happened to me, not going to tempt fate again.

2 Likes