Dining Plan changes 2020 - continuous updates being reported

I had this exact same questions for our trip in March. Hopefully they will get it ironed out by then.

1 Like

So hereā€™s an interesting little side story on this.
Apparently on the DIS, people are reporting that when their ā€œadult aged kidsā€ (over 9) want to order from the kids menu bc they donā€™t like the adult options, the system is rejecting it bc itā€™s not a kids credit. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
This is getting crazy now.

1 Like

Just another reason not to buy dining plan for kids who are ā€œadultsā€

Madness.

Yes.

So the system is now set up to require a child credit for a child meal and an adult credit for an adult meal.

That was always going to be the outcome with the separation of credits.

Of course, this doesnā€™t make sense, even for Disney, to not allow an adult to order a kidā€™s meal. I get why they wouldnā€™t allow a kid to order an adult meal, but not the other way around. Kidā€™s meals are worth less than adult mealsā€¦so if an adult wants to ā€œwasteā€ their credit on a kidā€™s meal, why not let them?

3 Likes

I have 2 Disney ā€œadultsā€ and we are definitely not doing the dining plan. When all 3 of my kids were under 10, the dining plan was very cost effective. Now, it is ridiculous. They need a junior plan to make it work.

3 Likes

You can order, you just canā€™t use the credits to order ā€œoutsideā€ of their category.

Itā€™s the simplest way to set it up, thatā€™s all. Saves time and cost in the changes required to the systems.

I donā€™t know, it seems like it would be simple to code adult credits to work on either meal, and code child credits to only work on child meals.
But then again, weā€™re talking Disney IT, soā€¦
:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

This is frustrating to hear. I have an 11yr ā€œadultā€ that will only eat chicken strips/nuggets. (Iā€™ve tried to introduce variety, but the other parents house doesnā€™t help)
With 6 of us, 5 being the adult credits and 1 child, this may cost us more. I have 3 adults that could eat 2 adult meals just on their own at one time! Growing, multi-sport athletic kids are always hungry. But, now it appears, Iā€™ll be spending money out of pocket for the 11DS child meal. Is that the new understanding?

FWIW, we were at Lotus Blossum Cafe a couple weeks ago and they wouldnā€™t let us convert an adult QS credit to snack credits. It was our last day and we were trying to finish everything off. We didnā€™t press it so not sure if it was just that CM or the location policy or what. They let us use both snack and QS credits there, just not covert.

For years the only TS meals I would do with my teenage son were at buffets. H & V and CP were very popular with us. He could eat chicken nuggets during those years and mashed potatoes and rolls during the ā€œlost yearsā€- plus dessert of course.

Same. We opted in until they were both 10+. Honestly that last year or two with my daughter (the older) was irritatingly expensive. My kids eat like birds. very picky birds.

Any others that have tested converting child QS to snacks since the new year?

Not a lot of info posted that Iā€™ve seen. Of the handful Iā€™ve read, the situation is mixed, with some being allowed and others not.

Perhaps things are still being sorted out, or it may be up to the manager of each location to decide.

I was allowed to convert child credits at pop- once for 2 snack and once for 3. It was a deluxe plan. This was last week

Thanks! I guess we play by ear.

I was at Beach Club on 2/1/20 with 3 child credits remaining on deluxe plan. They converted them to 3 snacks per kid credit in the store there, so we picked up 9 snacks on the way out.

FWIW, I did share credits with another family using adult credits for adults not in my room at Garden Grill, Cape May, Tusker House and Chef Mickey. No issues. I also used a kids credit for an adult ordering a kids meal at Sci Fi. No problem. We did not try to get milkshakes on the kids credit, so donā€™t know if that would have been permitted.

Before our trip, I spoke with a phone CM. She suggested that with the deluxe plan, the only place I needed to worry about kids vs. adult credit was at quick service and that for table service, the kids and adult credits were still the same. I didnā€™t test that, but if true could be why the deluxe kid credits converted to 3 snacks.

We picked our restaurants first (and happen to choose a lot of buffets) before I decided whether to get the deluxe dining plan. We came out ahead, but that is because dinner buffets are expensive. For our tween children who are considered adults, the dinner buffet is not a great value because they just donā€™t eat that much, but I prefer the buffets as they are very convenient and much quicker than a drawn out table service meal with appetizers and dessert.

3 Likes

Just to bump with another report in from Feb 15th of someone told that STK is not participating in the Dining Plan.

I think I noticed that it is no longer showing as a participant when you filter DS restaurants on the Disney website. It is rather amazing but those filters seem to be keeping pretty up to date?

2 Likes

Is it true that the 1 Ts, 1 QS plan is $78 per night per person? ( This is a number I found on line from last year reporting for 2020.)

If so, and after my wife and I planned out all our likely meals and snacks, the DDP comes out to be $300+ more than paying out of pocket. I am struggling to see how anyone makes this work.

1 Like