Dining Plan changes 2020 - continuous updates being reported

Yep, that’s right. As I say, we did it in 2017 when we had free for at AKL and just paid £20 per child to upgrade their park tickets to adult tickets.

Just on Friday I called Disney to change my DS 6 park ticket to an adult ticket in light of the dining plan change. We’re at CBR this May so have free QSDP this time. I was very upfront about why I was doing it and the lady on the phone understood why I was doing it and had no problem amending his DOB so to change the park ticket. £20 added to my invoice and job done.

There’s a similar thread running on the DIBB and one woman was convinced they wouldn’t be able to do this as they need their child to be under 9 to use the 5th sleeper bed. I told her to call, explain why she wanted the change and get them to put a note on the system showing it wasn’t 5 ‘adults’ in the room in case anyone looked at the booking in future. She did, has no problem amending it and her kids now all have adult park tickets and the change was showing on her MDE account pretty much instantly.

I would just flag up, if you’re staying at Pop i didn’t think people got free dining at those hotels (am I wrong about them being value?), just breakfast? If that’s the case and you got free breakfast and have paid to upgrade to QSDP/DDP then I don’t THINK the ticket change will work. I THINK in that scenario you’d have to pay the dining plan difference.

1 Like

I would feel like Jabba the Momma pulling that on my kids! This change may be a blessing though, I may not need to take maternity pants with me now, lol.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m in the US, but a free dining promotion was recently released. For US customers, you can get the free QS dining plan when booking at POP on select dates (which is what we currently have). Prior to the changes in the dining plan, QS credits were all pooled together just like they were on the Deluxe plan. The fact you changed the date of birth in MDE though makes me feel better as it would read as 10 years old regardless of whether the ticket type or age on the reservation triggers the credit type (adult vs child).

2 Likes

I’ve replied in more detail to your other message just now but to add certainty for you, they changed my 6 yr old son’s DOB to suggest he’ll be 10 (an adult) at my request to change his park ticket to an adult ticket and so we’ll now have 4 batches of adult QSDP credits allocated to us, instead of 3a, 1c. Cost: £20.

ETA : Ignore me, I’ve just seen your reply to my other message!

Ah okay, well you’ll be fine then. Just contact Disney or your tour operator and ask them to change your daughter’s ticket and DOB and you’ll be set.

1 Like

Just called them and got her age changed. It was only $18 more on our four day park hoppers to upgrade her to an “adult”. They confirmed over the phone she would now receive adult credits on the QS dining plan.

Edited to add - THANK YOU!

4 Likes

Excellent news and you’re welcome. Glad you got it sorted and for $18, cheap too!

1 Like

I understand the situation you describe but I think it’s a little different than what I was asking, maybe?Idk.

Let me reword my question and see if the answer is the same: what credits will be taken off my dxddp allotment if our party orders 2 adult meals and 2 kids meals at a TS location, if one of the kids meals is ordered by a 10 year old?

If that’s what your party orders, then they will deduct 2 adult credits and two child credits.

I think the question is whether they allow a 10 yo to order off the kid’s menu. This was raised because an adult was told she could not order off the kid’s menu. If you have another child, then it’s fine because you’ll have child credits to use. I’ve not seen anything more about it though.

Absolutely. I have WDWMAGIC app and they release the news items that Disney sends out each day. You usually find the same news items on tp blog.

1 Like

Thanks–that’s what I was thinking but wanted “confirmation” from the knowledgeable ones :slight_smile: Evaluating whether the dining plan is beneficial is always an exercise in brain power.

One thing they have done in the past is allow a 10 year old to order an item off the kids menu but give them a larger portion and count it as an adult table service credit. San Angel Inn did that for my 10 year old when she didn’t like any of the options on the adult menu.

If you’re thinking of ordering off the kids menu because of choice and not portion size that could work.

2 Likes

Much debate on the value of DDP. We’ve gone both ways, but with adding alcohol it might be worth it. :wink: I hate that they’ve allowed booze in WDW but it’s nice to have a cocktail at lunch and dinner… and brunch ;p. But I have to say I’ve not observed any drunken behavior at WDW or DL and I have at Universal. Had the best Irish coffee at Lamplighter Lounge brunch in CA.

1 Like

Disney manages it really well, but visit Epcot on a Friday or Saturday night (esp during food and wine) and you will DEFINITELY see drunk people.

We have seen them as well during festivals.

I am heading next month and we are on the standard dining plan. A bit bummed on the change of credits as I would much prefer my kids eat better food than chicken strip or hot dogs for their QS meal at times.

I haven’t seen confirmation in this thread. Will I be able to convert a child QS credit to snacks? The only place I would do this would be in France or Norway anyway, not a huge deal, but would like to know.

1 Like

Not seen any updates on this.

There were early reports from The Mara and also a CM here who works at Epcot saying it was no longer allowed.

On the other hand, someone posted they were allowed to do it at the Poly on Jan 1st.

Nothing since that.

@pod4christ, is there any update on child QS converting to snacks? With the beginning of the Festival of the Arts, was there an update?

I’m quite curious as well. Seems like they could at least let them convert to 1 snack since that’s their approximate value.

We just converted our last two kids’ QS credits to 6 snacks at the hotel market/gift shop before we left for the airport (1/10). It was the CM at the register who told us to do it, when I went to use what I thought was my actual last snack credit. Not sure that would be standard everywhere, but it was done!

4 Likes