Dining Plan changes 2020 - continuous updates being reported

Chef de France is still not showing as being on the Dining Plan.

I believe most other restaurants were added sometime overnight (US time). Will be interested to see if that is a permanent change or just a late confirmation for 2020.

Are they owned by an outside company?

I’m not seeing Les Halles Boulangerie on the list. Anyone heard if it’s no longer included on the dining plan?

It took me a while but I think I just found that Chefs, Monsieur Paul, and Les Halles are all owned by the same company? It must be that contract?

Ugh! Hope it gets straightened out for our March trip. Les Halles is our favourite lunch spot in Epcot.

I feel bad for the front line cast members who are asked to enforce this without being given the tools they need to do so

4 Likes

Following for this. If this has changed it will really change I approach my meals during the Arts Festival.

We have the Deluxe Dining for our April Trip. We were planning on using a few adult quick service for the kids at BOG Breakfast and Lunch (Who doesn’t want a French Dip!). We also booked the Pirate Cruise for the kids so we could do our anniversary dinner at Yachtsman, that cast member even suggested that would be a great use of their dinner credits for the day. I have a very old man for an 8 year old and he is on a high calorie/high protein diet due to meds, So he is gonna need more than Mac & Cheese and Corn dogs and the deluxe dining plan gave us that flexibility before. I understand it was a loophole but I when so much dang work (and money) goes into planning a trip you get pretty frustrated!

Drop it or keep it?
Naturally as the planner type most of us are, I began frantically researching and spread-sheeting to see if it would be worth it for my fam or if we should just OPP. I came up with it still saving us a few hundred dollars but it is not the clear choice it was before. We are keeping for now, if we run into any issues I will take it up with the concierge.

Kids need to stick to kid meal, not really a change, right?
Kids were always supposed to order from the kids meal yes, but with deluxe you pay for an app and a dessert also as well as a beverage even Mocktails and Milkshakes. It now appears based on new language that the kids are only entitled to a kid combo which includes the drink, “app and dessert”. So this will mean they get carrot sticks as an app and a fruit cup as a dessert! No Mocktail or Milkshake no cake or creme brulee, unless it is a side option on kids menu. This will not go over well when I am crushing dessert and my 8 year old is like what the heck parents, so I will likely be sharing or ordering an extra and just paying for it on some meals, kinda annoying when you paid for deluxe.

Hang on Math Coming…
The child cost per day is $47.50, looking at most menus a typical kids meal for breakfast. lunch and dinner is $10.00 and the commonly established value of a snack credit is about $5.00 as the child can order no additional items the child plan is ON AVERAGE a negative value at $40.00. For us this is the first time taking our spawn so we are doing lots of character meals and therein lies the value for us.
Additionally, looking at the menu at Tony’s and Jiko, two meals we have planned, a child mac n cheese is $10.00 at Tony’s and $9.00 at Jiko but Jiko is still gonna cost you two kid credits, DON’T DO THAT!

Should We Adjust Our Plans?
We did make a change as a result and dropped our yak and yeti res in favor of the whole family getting kids meals at Satuli Canteen (They have the adult bowls in kid sizes FYI, get a few and eat it family style is our plan). I took a look at some of the kid meals where we are eating at this is what I found especially for moms and Disney adult kids with little siblings trying to make sure we use our kid credits and save adult credits for signatures or the occasional kids want to split an adult meal:
Satu’li Canteen as mentioned
BOG Breakfast and Lunch have some good options (again we plan on ordering 4 kids meals and eating it family style, 3 scrambled egg meals and a french toast.)
Coral Reef has a child size shrimp and grits, fish of the day and steak
Skipper Canteen has a steak dinner that reportedly is enough for an adult also shrimp and tofu.
Sci Fi Dine In has a beef kabob
50’s Prime Time has good options

I am not sure how much they will let adults order kids meals at table service but I really don’t see why anyone would care. You are using a child credit for a child meal. I can also say I would not be doing the dining plan if it wasn’t a first visit for my kids. If we didn’t have Tusker, Ohana, Garden Grill and Boma on the list this would quickly not make sense for us. The real victim in this change is the servers, if people are now pinching pennies and looking for kid meals on the dining plan tips are going to go down but the wait staff still has to put up with the same over stimulated tired kids and adults.

I received permission from pod4christ to take a screen shot of an update he just posted.

2 Likes

Same thing happening at Caseys from what i hear, but someone reported that they are adding a “kid meal” button on their registers.

Not for nothing but this bs should have been handled by execs BEFORE the rollout. I feel bad for everyone involved - the frontline workers, the guests completely blindsided by this, and all the people who are planning who now are in a holding pattern on what to do.

3 Likes

Pod4christ works food and beverage at Disney I believe. He is a CM.

1 Like

Oh i am not saying that pod4christ isn’t right, just saying that its not limited to Westward Ho. He is one of the people i feel bad for- they have no say in how things are carried out, but they get the worst of the fallout.

3 Likes

I’ve read that they are adding a kid’s meal to Casey’s, but this hasn’t yet been confirmed. Unless it’s been posted last night.

My post was to clarify who pod is! I don’t think @Nicky_S would know the info was from a CM. He did say he will be off for this week but he checked with a few coordinators and that is how he knows that they are still waiting about the snack conversion.

4 Likes

I don’t have kids and your post still pissed me off. How can they justify charging more for the dddp for kids and not be set up to give you additional value!
I think it’s worth a call. It just not right.

I am Food & Beverage for Epcot Festivals. The situation is definitely fluid right now as the leadership is trying to figure out the details. Like others have said, please don’t take it out on the poor register CM. We have no say in it. You can’t imagine how mad guests can become with us. We’re just trying to do our jobs and keep smiling. I love being a CM and wouldn’t trade it for the world. The vast majority of guests are very understanding and appreciative of what we do. They make it all worth it.

26 Likes

Thank you for stopping by!

5 Likes

Well the deluxe plan costs more because you have three TS credits each.

I know this is frustrating for people who have planned to use the loopholes that existed before, but they haven’t actually changed any of the rules. So I don’t see this as “unfair” as such.

What they have done is put in place a system to ensure that people follow the rules, ie: children order from the children’s menu. Other than the hiccups at Casey’s, that is what has happened.

The trading of QS into snacks isn’t written anywhere, it’s something that has been available at some places, at the manager’s discretion presumably.

2 Likes

I think you have a typo. The deluxe plan is three TS each. With an adult credit it also includes an app, I am unclear with the child?

2 Likes

I guess. I hear what you’re saying, but the dessert thing just kills me. They have to work that out.