Difficulty securing DVC Rental

This was true for us. We booked WL and got our notification at Christmas in 2018 for a Thanksgiving trip in 2019. We had 24 hours to pay for it in whole or we would lost it (and to my knowledge lose our deposit as well, but maybe not). I went through David’s and it was as smooth of a process as I could have hoped for.

For a room reservation only the deposit is different than a package with tickets. The deposit for a package is $200 and for a room only is the first night.

Yes , I only paid a 200.00 deposit for a 6 night stay package at the Polynesian with tickets and it got fully refunded with a few days of me cancelling. Also, I used the DVC Rental store as you only have to pay a little over half down (deposit is 11.00 per point, I rented 153 points for 7 nights at the Polynesian, my deposit was about 1500.00 ) once they secure your reservation, and the remainder is due 45 days prior. You also avoid the foreign transaction credit card fee , which is another reason I went with them over David’s

One more thing that gives me peace of mind is that the DVC member who made my reservation only gets their final payment on the day I check in

Thank you everyone! We went ahead and booked a room at the Caribbean as a back up. I have so much more peace of mind now!

1 Like

I avoided the fee by using PayPal. I liked David’s and felt better since overall the price was lower and I had separate trip insurance in case I have to cancel my trip. But both outlets have their pros and cons. I recommend looking into both and choosing based on individual circumstances.

Are you sure?

I looked into this, and even through PayPal, according to their terms, you’ll still pay a foreign transaction fee.

ETA: When I priced out using PayPal with David’s, as a result, it actually came out to be more expensive than using the Rental store despite the extra $1/point rate through TRS.

Also, if your dates are even a little flexible, search for confirmed/dedicated reservations. That’s how we got our poly studio, then just booked the final night through disney.

Yes - I just checked my credit card statement again and I paid exactly the amount on the invoice, no extra fee. The verbiage in PayPal and on my card was very ambiguous so I was bracing for potentially having to pay the fee, but I didn’t. It was about 5.6% less than my DVC Rental Store quote, so unless the foreign transaction fee is over 5.6%, I think it’s worth the risk.

I have to pay a transaction fee when receiving payment from David’s. Now whether it’s a foreign transaction fee or just some Pay Pal fee, I don’t know. It cut the payment by about 7% I think. Hefty but not enough to stop me from using them.

1 Like

Maybe it depends on the credit card you use in regards to fees? I’m not sure Ryan1…

From PayPal:

Canada is included in the list of countries.

So, at a minimum, there would be a $4.99 fee if you funded directly from your bank account to PayPal. If you fund the PayPal account, you should have also paid a 2.9% fee.

I’m curious how you managed to avoid it. Perhaps this is a case of PayPal having something in writing that they can enforce, but don’t necessarily do enforce.

1 Like

My theory for why it wasn’t charged is because David’s may have a PayPal account accepting the transaction so maybe it bypasses the fee? Otherwise your explanation is as good as any.