Difficulty securing DVC Rental

How do you go about renting points from a DVC member?

You can go through a DVC rental site such as

Or

Or go to a rental board at MouseSavers to find a private rental.

Is it actually cheaper to rent DVC points to get a room than it is to rent the room through Disney themselves? From what I can tell using the two links you provided, that is the case. I’m probably missing something because it seems too good of a deal.

There are positives and negatives. The major positive is that you can get much more for less renting through DVC. (Nicer resort, much cheaper price.)

The MAIN downside is that you lose out in flexibility. Once you are booked, you are booked. There is generally no cancellation allowed unless you pay for travel insurance. So, if something happens, you are out the money, where as with Disney direct you can generally cancel easily (particularly if more than 30 days out).

2 Likes

It is much cheaper. As @ryan1 pointed out, you lose flexibility and cannot cancel. Many times of the year you have to lock in the rental close to 11 months.

2 Likes

It’s thousands of dollars cheaper!

Yes, I figure it will save me 1800.00 over booking a standard room at the Polynesian next May, there is also no tax on the dvc rental from what I understand. Hoping my rental request come through

2 Likes

Also, overnight parking is free when you book a DVC rental, if that matters.

2 Likes

ThoughtI would post an update in case anyone else is thinking about renting DVC points. I put in my request in June with DVC rental store for the week following Mother’s Day 2020 at the Polynesian, and still have not secured a reservation. I was told there is still availability but no member available to rent out points. I do have a back up reservation with Disney, but I’m hoping once the 7 month window opens in a few weeks I’ll have luck!

2 Likes

Are you hoping to book the whole week?

Hi, I’m looking for Sat 5/9 through Fri 5/15

Good luck to you! As I mentioned on another thread, I was on the waitlist at David’s for 10 weeks before I finally got my reservation for a 2BR at Beach Club filled.

One thing that should make you feel better is that David’s recommends that you book the Polynesian only 7 months or more in advance. In other words, it’s not one of the resorts they recommend booking 11 months in advance, so it’s unlikely to be fully booked prior to the 7-month mark. Fingers crossed for you.

Oh wow, that’s good to know. Thanks!

1 Like

Don’t give up hope! I put in my request for a studio at Beach Club for June and made that request at the 11 month mark in mid July. Yesterday, nearly 11 weeks later, I received word that we got the room. I hope yours comes through, too.

1 Like

How did this turn out? My sister-in-law and I are trying to get a December rental and in the same boat you were. Debating on getting a regular room just in case!

I got my request a day before the 7 month mark. I was staring to lose hope. It really depends on whether there is availability and if they have a dvc member who is renting out their points. So before that 7 month window opens you may not have much luck. But the cost savings was worth the wait . Once I was able to confirm the dvc rental reservation I cancelled my back up reservation

3 Likes

I definitely recommend getting a refundable room booked direct as a backup. As long as you don’t mind having a deposit on hold, it is great for peace of mind.

1 Like

Definitely, it’s only a 200.00 deposit for a Disney package and it’s fully refundable up to a month before. There won’t always be availability at the popular DVC resorts.

When I made our back up plans (which I eventually cancelled for Pop), I had to pay first night’s cost as deposit. For Pop Century, this was around $200…but for the Contemporary, this was $840.

Is it really only $200 if you get a package, regardless of resort?

I think another potential disadvantage is that, as I understand it, most of the DVC rental places make you pay the total at time of reservation and not closer to travel like when the room is booked directly through Disney. We are booking a large family trip and some family members did not like the idea of putting most of the resort fees down now.

1 Like