Difficulty securing DVC Rental

Yes, I figure it will save me 1800.00 over booking a standard room at the Polynesian next May, there is also no tax on the dvc rental from what I understand. Hoping my rental request come through

2 Likes

Also, overnight parking is free when you book a DVC rental, if that matters.

2 Likes

ThoughtI would post an update in case anyone else is thinking about renting DVC points. I put in my request in June with DVC rental store for the week following Mother’s Day 2020 at the Polynesian, and still have not secured a reservation. I was told there is still availability but no member available to rent out points. I do have a back up reservation with Disney, but I’m hoping once the 7 month window opens in a few weeks I’ll have luck!

2 Likes

Are you hoping to book the whole week?

Hi, I’m looking for Sat 5/9 through Fri 5/15

Good luck to you! As I mentioned on another thread, I was on the waitlist at David’s for 10 weeks before I finally got my reservation for a 2BR at Beach Club filled.

One thing that should make you feel better is that David’s recommends that you book the Polynesian only 7 months or more in advance. In other words, it’s not one of the resorts they recommend booking 11 months in advance, so it’s unlikely to be fully booked prior to the 7-month mark. Fingers crossed for you.

Oh wow, that’s good to know. Thanks!

1 Like

Don’t give up hope! I put in my request for a studio at Beach Club for June and made that request at the 11 month mark in mid July. Yesterday, nearly 11 weeks later, I received word that we got the room. I hope yours comes through, too.

1 Like

How did this turn out? My sister-in-law and I are trying to get a December rental and in the same boat you were. Debating on getting a regular room just in case!

I got my request a day before the 7 month mark. I was staring to lose hope. It really depends on whether there is availability and if they have a dvc member who is renting out their points. So before that 7 month window opens you may not have much luck. But the cost savings was worth the wait . Once I was able to confirm the dvc rental reservation I cancelled my back up reservation

3 Likes

I definitely recommend getting a refundable room booked direct as a backup. As long as you don’t mind having a deposit on hold, it is great for peace of mind.

1 Like

Definitely, it’s only a 200.00 deposit for a Disney package and it’s fully refundable up to a month before. There won’t always be availability at the popular DVC resorts.

When I made our back up plans (which I eventually cancelled for Pop), I had to pay first night’s cost as deposit. For Pop Century, this was around $200…but for the Contemporary, this was $840.

Is it really only $200 if you get a package, regardless of resort?

I think another potential disadvantage is that, as I understand it, most of the DVC rental places make you pay the total at time of reservation and not closer to travel like when the room is booked directly through Disney. We are booking a large family trip and some family members did not like the idea of putting most of the resort fees down now.

1 Like

This was true for us. We booked WL and got our notification at Christmas in 2018 for a Thanksgiving trip in 2019. We had 24 hours to pay for it in whole or we would lost it (and to my knowledge lose our deposit as well, but maybe not). I went through David’s and it was as smooth of a process as I could have hoped for.

For a room reservation only the deposit is different than a package with tickets. The deposit for a package is $200 and for a room only is the first night.

Yes , I only paid a 200.00 deposit for a 6 night stay package at the Polynesian with tickets and it got fully refunded with a few days of me cancelling. Also, I used the DVC Rental store as you only have to pay a little over half down (deposit is 11.00 per point, I rented 153 points for 7 nights at the Polynesian, my deposit was about 1500.00 ) once they secure your reservation, and the remainder is due 45 days prior. You also avoid the foreign transaction credit card fee , which is another reason I went with them over David’s

One more thing that gives me peace of mind is that the DVC member who made my reservation only gets their final payment on the day I check in

Thank you everyone! We went ahead and booked a room at the Caribbean as a back up. I have so much more peace of mind now!

1 Like

I avoided the fee by using PayPal. I liked David’s and felt better since overall the price was lower and I had separate trip insurance in case I have to cancel my trip. But both outlets have their pros and cons. I recommend looking into both and choosing based on individual circumstances.