Defunctland: FastPass A Complicated History

Fastpass A Queue Story: Fascinating documentary by Kevin Perjuror and Defunctland with our own Len Testa as a contributor. Definitely worth the whole watch to think about where we are headed going forward with Genie. Curious if anyone else watched and had any thoughts.

5 Likes

I saw this on Twitter and clicked on it to see how long it was, thinking like 3 minutes vs. 13 minutes and I would watch now or later. But 1 hour and 42 minutes was not what I was expecting! I will definitely watch but will need to be over a couple of evenings lol.

3 Likes

That was such a great video! @ryan1 you’re going to enjoy it. The change in attendance over the years blew me away.

One of my takeaways is that Chapek isn’t really any different from those that came before him. It’s all just louder because of social media. In the 70s and 80s articles were written in newspapers, and people talked amongst their friends. But now, it’s a billion times easier to react in a louder voice to what executives at big companies say and do.

3 Likes

Just finished it! Very well done. It confirms what we all “know” around here, but it’s great to see it with data. Getting the confirmation that G+ / LL is following the FPP model (80%+) via Disney Dish today gives an even more sad conclusion to how this Monster is already sneaking out of its cage.

1 Like

That monster came out the minute we figured out how to “hack” the system to stack G+ rides. There’s really no easy answer for this.

2 Likes

Yes, this!! People are also forgetting that G+ WAS announced under the beloved Iger

3 Likes

Just got to the attendance part. Wow! No wonder I have such fond memories of my visits from 2002-2005! I figured it was just selective memory downplaying the bad parts, but there actually likely were much less crowded parks then!

2 Likes

I think one of the biggest variables is trying to predict the behavior of unpredictable humans with human brains. Like in their demographics of guests, my DH is clearly an AP holder that will skip a ride if the line is too long. I’m an AP holder with him, and we go multiple times per year, but I still want to ride every ride and do all the things as though I’m a once in a life-timer. People are complicated.

2 Likes

So I am very much like you and since the parks reopened and I’ve gone back I’ve had to become more like your husband to enjoy it. First trip back I was so unhappy I almost canceled my other trips. 2nd trip was with a friend and I very much altered my plans and way of touring and it was much better. Now that G+ is in action I’m afraid it’s going to be more like that 1st trip so I’m already tempering my expectations.

1 Like

Yes, there was a bit of watching this, thinking “Am I the one that broke this?”

2 Likes

I am working on this too as I’ve been going more often of late. I don’t have to do everything. I will enjoy myself more if I temper my expectations ride stuff early/late and enjoy other stuff during the crowded times. But it sounds like it’s gotten really bad since October from during covid times and I’m afraid to go again plus the prices are much higher now without the sales on hotwire, disney sales and being able to easily pick up rental DVC points since everything is booked out and full price. I was looking for next Christmas for Festival of the Holidays which I’ve never done (Since I’m going to DLR this year next month I figured I try for a Dec 2022 FotH for Epcot) and Boardwalk wants $900/night for a regular room. I’ve never seen that in my life. I am pretty darn sure that’s about what I paid for the Club Level extended room that slept 6 in 2020.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to watching this! I saw it teased several weeks ago and the content is right up my alley. I started it last night but given the length I will have to take it over a couple of nights. (Paging @OBNurseNH for a setup.)

4 Likes

I basically planned my trips around confirmed reservations I’ve picked up from DVCShop.com. I agree the pricing is getting out of hand and I just can’t see myself paying for a regular Disney room again without a Hotwire type deal.

I’m definitely worried about the crowds. I’m also not a morning person or early riser so I’m going to be selective about my early mornings and park reservations. I hate how much of the Disney I loved is gone.

1 Like

That one has a lot more than David’s and the Rental Store…I am bookmarking that site. Those are reasonable prices and tons of availability. Thanks!

1 Like

Here I am!

TWSS :smirk::smirk:

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I’ve spent less than $200/night on all but 1 of the reservations I’ve booked with them. They’ve been very quick to respond to any issues I’ve had as well. I definitely plan to continue working with them.

1 Like

Yes, these are extremely reasonable prices

2 Likes

And is there really that much more ride capacity now?

1 Like

if you guys like this you’ll love my 17 part series on breaking down encrypted fields on html hotel sites narrated by pee wee herman

18 Likes

I would watch it!

2 Likes