DAS qualification question

Hi there -
Planning 2 days at MK in March (CL 10 and 8) with DH, DD13, and DD8. We are planning our days around DD8’s interests and needs. I am considering asking for a DAS pass and wonder if you could chime in on whether that is the appropriate solution for the following situation:

DD8 can walk and move in a basically typical manner but tires easily. She cannot tolerate standing in one spot for long. As an infant and toddler she had rickets (soft bones) in her orphanage. Standing still on her wonky feet is terribly uncomfortable.

She does not have any cognitive or behavioral disabilities. She’s not confined to a wheelchair at all. In fact I’m sure people at her school have no idea that she needs some TLC in certain circumstances.

When I read the DAS guidelines, it appears to me that the system was designed for people who cannot tolerate standing for long periods. But then I’ve read on these forums and elsewhere that it’s for people who may have cognitive/emotional/behavioral difficulties (and similar) in long lines.

I don’t think we want to do a wheelchair pass for her oversized stroller because it it hard to navigate a large stroller through some of the lines. I am not trying to skirt the system but it is not going to be a fun trip if she has tears running down her face as she is in pain standing for lengthy periods.

The only other time she’s been to WDW she was too small for many of the rides, and we carried her on our shoulders in line.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.

2 Likes

It sounds like she’s exactly the kind of person it’s designed for.

Give customer services a ring, they are really helpful, and should be able to clarify for you

5 Likes

She has a need. Let the system meet it. Just because it’s hidden doesn’t make it less of a challenge. Everyone here and at Disney that matters wants y’all to have whatever assistance your family needs to share in the magic!

2 Likes

So, you don’t have to be specific; just tell them what she needs. She cannot wait in line for long periods of time so she needs to wait elsewhere. What she has is not a mobility issue.

1 Like

I would consider designating the stroller as a wheelchair. Some of the attractions have lengthy walks/waits even when using the FastPass line which DAS typically utilizes.

I was there in September with our son who has a similar challenge with tiring/pain due to issues with his legs. We were able to navigate all of the queues very easily in a wheelchair. There were a few attractions that had separate access points assumably due to the lines being more narrow or because steps were involved. It was nice to eliminate even the shortest of walks to save what I referred to as good steps/standing since we never knew what the threshold was that could be achieved without pain.

3 Likes

I agree that it sounds like this is a reasonable use of DAS. Just be aware that the CM might still ask if the situation could be controlled using a wheelchair or designating her stroller as a wheelchair. Just be firm in emphasizing that it’s not a mobility issue but a standing/waiting issue.

2 Likes

We have used DAS for my son on our two trips to DLR. He has autism and doesn’t tolerate standing in line - he cuts and gets in others personal space, and eventually refuses to stay in the line. I occasionally had a pang of guilt as he appears to be a “normal kid” (and at DLR, you don’t use the FP line for many rides, you get to go in at the exit or the front of the line when the return time comes so people looked at us with questioning expressions).
But, you should not feel like you are “skirting the system” as your wait is the same you just don’t have to do it while standing in line. You get a return time based on the current wait time and then come back to the FastPass line after the allotted time has passed. Then you are free to go get a snack or wait on a bench or do another shorter line attraction. It’s nice to not wait in line, but isn’t really a huge advantage as far as wait times.
Simply check in at guest relations and they don’t need a diagnosis. Just let them know she can’t tolerate lines due to a medical condition and they will ask you what will happen if she waits in line. Explain she will have pain and fatigue and be unable to stay in line. That should take care of it!
Your daughter has an invisible disability. It’s okay to advocate for her and to utilize these programs! This how we get equality for our kiddos. Hugs to you mama and have a great trip!

2 Likes

I think it’s worth giving it as hot, but my son and I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease with the major issues being fatigue and pain while standing. They directed us to rent a scooter or wheelchair.

For him, we kept him in a stroller until age 9. That helped a lot. He refused the wheelchair so we typically cut our days short when our legs get tired. He’s getting leg braces for the first time next week, so we’re hoping that will help him. But we never make it a full day.

1 Like

Can an adult get a DAS?

Yes, anyone with a disability that prevents them from waiting in line, as long as it’s not mobility related.

Thanks

1 Like

They may be a little more relaxed with the qualifications for a child, but for an adult it has to be cognitive for the DAS. Mobility does not count. DW is a disabled veteran and has issues with standing in line due to her ankles and her knees from combat related injuries. This did not qualify her for DAS. Their solution was to get a wheelchair as all rides are ADA compliant. However, her anxiety and PTSD did qualify her for a DAS because she struggled with standby lines were she felt trapped, especially when she could not see the exits. We know for sure mobility is not eligible because we asked AK guest services first because of mobility and it was denied. Only when we asked for it based on her cognitive disability did they grant it. I had to get a supervisor involved to get it solved.

1 Like

Please be ready for the CM to ask what your concerns are for the lines they do not care about DX. Things like walking to much, standing too long, are concerned mobility and a wheelchair or a stroller would be best. The DAS dose not do give someone a place to sit while they wait. Some lines even the FP lines are very long walk and some have pre show that you have to stand and watch. I would really think about what your son needs are and what would be bet for him and it sounds like he needs a place to sit