Credit Card Rewards & Points General Thread

I had the thought to log into my cc account, and there is a new thing on Chase where you can pay yourself back for Disney purchases (or airline purchases). I may try that after booking, just for research.

2 Likes

While that works, technically it is not a good redemption. If you have a Sapphire Preferred I think you get 1.1 cents per point?

But, if you instead transferred those points to Hyatt you can get 2, 4 or even more cpp etc., or similar with some airline deals.

Of course, transferring to Marriott tends to be just OK as well (0.8 - 1.1 cpp), but I’ve done that because, hey, mostly free stay!

So, TL;DR: if you don’t have plans for other stays or flights, could be a nice tool - if you do, definitely do the math so you don’t shortchange yourself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This card is a premier signature. I’m not sure about transferring points, but I’ll dig around in there to see what’s available. Thanks for the tip!!

Ack, my brain immediately thought of Pay Yourself Back as Chase Ultimate Rewards, not these Disney Rewards. (That’s new-ish for Disney Rewards I think?)

Doing that with the Disney Rewards is a no-brainer to me if you have eligible Disney spend! :slight_smile:
(You can’t transfer DR anywhere like UR.)

2 Likes

It does seem to be (says New above it :rofl:). Idk–I’ve never seen it.

I went ahead with the booking–sounds like I have 90 days to apply it if I decide to go that route. Either way it’s good!

3 Likes

Anyone who has been waiting for a sign to get started with Chase Ultimate Rewards points - it may be here!

They’ve just elevated the sign up bonus (SUB) on both their Sapphire Preferred and Reserve cards to 75K Chase UR after hitting $4K spend in 3 months.

Untitled

For reference, here’s a chart of the previous SUBs over time:

The usual points blog sites seem to have their links upgraded to the new 75K offer, but when I checked my personal ones, they were still at 60K.

So, if you have a card and want to refer your P2 (spouse, friend, etc) - maybe wait a week or two and check again to see if your referral increased too. (Sometimes they do, sometimes they ain’t. You might need to use the Chase Referral Catch-All generator to update your links.)

If you don’t want to wait, you should be able to find an elevated bonus link pretty easily.

Also, don’t forget to check the TP forum referral spreadsheet - links to it in this thread.

1 Like

Came here to say this, and you beat me to it as per usual. Thanks for keeping this thread neat and tidy, @JJT !

3 Likes

I did this for my spring break Disney trip. I had a lot of rewards on my Disney card since my last trip. I was able to pay myself back for any direct Disney expenses. My rewards covered part of my room, almost all of my food and souvenirs. And you have 3 months after the chrge posts to pay it with rewards, so i am accumulating rewards for the next couple of months to pay off my couple remaining expenditures. Worked great!!

1 Like

I think this is the thread that would appreciate this.
Yesterday evening I decided to play consolidate all my little SW travel funds lines for DH and myself to 1 lump and transferable fund. I must have booked and rebooked 20 flights to get it done. And it cost me a couple of dollars (that converted to travel funds). But the end result was worth it. Lol.

4 Likes

It worked! Very easy.

2 Likes

Updating to report that personal Chase Sapphire card referral links can now be updated to include the 75K elevated SUB.

If you need to refresh your own or P2’s referral link for the Sapphire, use the Chase Catch-all form.

Advanced Tactic

If you already have either Sapphire, you can get the bonus again IF it has been 48 months since you last earned the bonus. That is important: they do NOT start the clock on the the date you opened/applied for the card. (Most other Chase personal cards have a 24 month window before you can get the bonus again. Business Ink cards may have 24 month terms for their cards, but they do not seem to enforce the time frame on those.)

You can close your Sapphire, wait a few days and apply for a new one - BUT, there’s a better tactic: ask Chase to product change your Sapphire to a Chase Freedom with Ultimate Rewards card. The name of that card matters: there are a few flavors of Freedom cards and this particular one is an old card that cannot be applied for anymore. BUT, you can still get the card with a product change (PC).

By PCing to this card, it:

• Retains your card history from the Sapphire account, which will be helpful in keeping your average card age up in your credit reports.
  • Retains the open credit line - remember, more available credit helps keep your overall % usage low.*
  • By choosing this particular otherwise un-gettable card, you keep the possibility of getting the sign up bonus on the other Freedom cards open in the future if you choose to get one. (Usually there are better bonuses to go for to use one of your Chase 5/24 slots, but keeping your options open is always a good thing.)

*Of course, if you are doing things right, you do not carry a balance from month to month. So you’re probably always near 0% usage in general, so a larger amount of available credit may not have much effect. But still, good practice.

2 Likes

How long do I need to wait after cancelling my free Disney Visa to switch to the Premier Disney Visa in order to earn the bonus? It’s back down to $300 bonus vs the $450 or whatever it was before so I’m a little sad about that. But I’ve calculated how much more I’d earn and it would be worth the switch.

1 Like

It depends on when you opened your free Disney. You have to wait until 24 months after you got the SUB to be eligible for the premier SUB.

Also, you don’t have to cancel your free. You could keep both open if you wanted.

It’s been 5+ years that I’ve had the free Disney card.

So I could still get the SUB on the Premiere one even if I still have the free one?? I wish I’d known that when the higher SUB was offered. I was waiting until my closing date to pay my balance and close the card.

1 Like

I’m pretty positive you can but someone else should weigh in.

1 Like

I think your right. The only time you have to close and wait is if your trying to get the SUB for the same card.

1 Like

I agree - people have reported you can get SUB for both and hold both at same time, but I personally haven’t tried it and have only seen a few data points.

I don’t think there is any harm in going for it - if Chase doesn’t think you are eligible for the bonus on the other card, they won’t approve the applications, so no harm no foul.

1 Like

“Yesterday evening I decided to play consolidate all my little SW travel funds lines for DH and myself to 1 lump and transferable fund. I must have booked and rebooked 20 flights to get it done.”

Okay, I’m intrigued but a little confused. How/what did you do???

1 Like

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday SW offers the low fare sales.
I found that Houston and Austin where the cheap options out of MSY. You can only use 3 travel funds per flight. You can use 2 travel funds and 1 credit card if needed. But if it’s not a Wanna Getaway Plus fare, the balance you pay on the credit card will get wrapped into the travel fund when you cancel. If you can use 3 travel funds almost fully, I did that. Took a little math and finding the best options. A couple times I had to let a very small amount grt wrapped back into the travel fund. I just made sure my last one was a WG!+ that way when I cancelled it would be transferrable. It that’s not important you can book a regular WGA fare.
Normally the taxes and fees I have to pay is minimal. But before I was booking points I would have like $4, $6, $8 credits from when the fare dropped. When I booked flights for Cancun (for 2) the cost after points was much higher ($125 total iirc) and I had about $90 left in travel funds but I had them over like 8 credits.

1 Like

I would make sure you do that the day of check in, or call beforehand. Last time I went and stayed on a cash room, they would not take my rewards card to refund the room and use that for payment ( I cannot remember when exactly I talked to the front desk about using my rewards card to pay for the room). I was given some 1-800 number by the manager to call and sort it out. Needless to say we just used the rewards card to pay for food instead.

1 Like