Credit Card Rewards & Points General Thread

All good to know, thanks. I might just book a flight for DS with points then for Memorial Day weekend. I do have my flights through September booked with points for me but I added DHs companion pass for a June trip and I am worried that will sell out before I can readd him after Memorial Day. But I’ll have to look at all the options.
Thank you!

1 Like

Anyone who has credit card referral links in the forum Google sheets might want to take a look at their links and make sure they are active.

Chase and Amex change the links as offer change, so even some of the fairly recently added Disney Visa referrals in the sheet are no longer active since that card reverted to the lower bonus again.

Some links go to a page that has a “Offer Not Available” popup - which USUALLY means the referral link is dead, but they’ll still let you apply without anyone getting a referral bonus.

There are some instances however (SW card referrals?) where it pops “Offer Not Available” but the page still references the referral. I SUSPECT but have no data to back it up, that the referral is actually dead in that instance as well.

@drvillarejos Your SW link is one of those weird “not available” but still mentions the referral, so you might want to refresh your SW referral link and update the sheet.

1 Like

Oh, lol, I just did before I saw the tag. Thanks for looking out!

1 Like

We had a weird thing happen with our SUB. My husband applied for the Chase Ink Preferred - so that is $8k for 100k points. We had a medical bill mishap so we paid $1800 twice on this card and one got refunded. But the SUB calculator didn’t notice the refund and his 100k points are pending even though we’ve only spent $7k. I know we will hit $8k by the deadline with the next daycare bill so I’m not worried. I mostly found it interesting that it didn’t catch the refund.

1 Like

Yes, you see that kind of thing often in the points groups. The system will only seem to catch you passing the spend in one direction - but at some time in the future (months? maybe even a year?) the system will likely notice, so your subsequent spend will keep you in good graces. :slight_smile:

What you usually hear in the groups is someone gets a refund after the spend deadline on something they bought before and want to know what to do. The advice is usually “spend that same amount or a little more” just to even out the missing amount before the system catches up.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. That makes so much sense!

1 Like

I called to cancel the free card that I’d had since 2017. The rep said I could have kept the free card and still applied for the Premiere one. I wish I’d known that before so I could have gotten the bonus SUB. Boo…

3 Likes
parrot Update, only a few weeks later: Paypal Bill Pay appears be a dead option.

I went in today to pay one of our semi-annual life insurance premiums and our life insurance company is gone from options. I can still see past payments for it from the last few years, but no way to add them back.

Searching the PP forums - looks like a few months ago they purged a huge number of large companies from their Bill Pay system. No announcement, do not pass Go, do not collect $500.

In one of the April threads a PP support person says they “know of the situation” and essentially tells everyone to open a support ticket to help get the vendor payment done. But, that is followed by a few dozen user responses of “support doesn’t have a clue about this and doesn’t even understand what Bill Pay is”. One person said support told them they were going to refresh the system to fix things - 2 months ago. :person_shrugging:t2:

Too bad - was nice to be able to use a few thousand $ in life insurance payments to meet credit card sign up bonuses. rain
1 Like

Another round of CLEAR 3 month trials arrived in my DS20’s account if anyone wants to give it a try.
Haven’t received them in my own yet, but if I do, will add the link here later.

Get the Free Trial Here.

Note: Theoretically that link is good for up to 5 uses - BUT for each person that uses it, it will cover your family and friends so if you want to use it for more than one person, you do not have to use the link multiple times.

1 Like

Does the 3 months start when you checkin at the airport? I’m assuming it would. I got an email this morning.

You know, I think so, but not sure if it starts then or when account created? I’ve never used a free trial, I just signed up with my Amex Plat credits to start.

1 Like

And now my own account received the share link, so if the first one I posted runs out of shares here’s another!

1 Like

I bit the bullet today and signed up for the Target Red Card. The one and only reason? To buy Disney Gift cards for 5% off!

5 Likes

That was my primary reason but I do shop at Target often and getting the 5% my regular Target haul is nice. I got the Target debit card/the credit card. The Circle Bonuses add up too.

1 Like

Which airline credit card is the best option for getting elite loyalty status and easier business class/first class upgrades?

(Feel free to link previous posts if this has been discussed before)

Edit: interested upgrades for international flights. Options are AA, United and Delta.

1 Like

Good question! Following…

1 Like

I think the answer on that one is complicated and don’t think I can do it complete justice.
I’d suggest looking for Frequent Miler blog posts and podcast episodes on Delta in particular, they do a great job of going into the nitty gritty of everything.

For example:

2 Likes

This seems to be the consensus on Delta (screenshot from the guide you linked):

1 Like

I have read, listened to, and watched more content than I care to admit about points and miles. Most people say not to chase elite status because you’ll put a lot more $$$ into the system than you’ll get out of it…just book the seats you want with either points or cash to start with. None of the three airlines you mentioned will get you the best deal for your points, which is why most points and miles geeks prefer transferrable points like Chase UR or Amex MR. I also like Capital One miles.

3 Likes

Yes, people call their miles program “Sky Pesos” because flights cost so many points. :smiley:

But, it still might be a good play for international travel especially, because the various airlines are all members of one of the Alliances - so you can often use points from one system to book deals on another airline.

Again, can get complicated, but many deals to be had if you learn the details. I’m hoping to hit Ireland and the Czechia one of these days to see family, so plan to figure it all out one of these days.

You might want to sign up for the notifications/newsletter at Roame to see what deals are happening:

3 Likes