Credit Card Rewards & Points General Thread

Not on this one - Target doesn’t give you the Red Card 5% off on their own gift cards, so it will just be the 10% total.

So, you’ll want to use a non-Target card with a good points or cash back return.

1 Like

If I change from the regular Disney Visa to the Disney Premiere Visa, do I get to keep the current points I’ve earned? The Premiere one has a $400 statement credit right now. That would pay for two nights of my bounce back room in June.

2 Likes

Linking the post where I started to ask this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ill have to see if any cards get 3% to stack this. Since I already get 5% off Target purchases- and an additional 5% is nice- I don’t really have any big target purchases coming up. Might wait for the next one.
Im assuming you can’t buy other gift cards with target gift cards :joy:

You can’t buy other gift cards with target gift cards.

I use this time to buy gift card gifts. We have teacher appreciation week coming up so I’ll get a few cards for that and I stash some cards for kid birthday parties. For kids I don’t know well, they will get a box of candy and a Target gift card.

1 Like

I think you can!

1 Like

I am 99% certain that policy has changed

2 Likes

Statement credits are a sign up bonus for new cards, so you can’t change to the Premiere and get that.

But, if you have earned the previous DVisa bonus more than 24 months ago you can cancel it, wait a week or 3 and apply for the premiere.

Things to know:

• Before cancelling you will want to request all the $ on the card be sent to you on a rewards card. Pro tip: if you are actively earning Disney rewards on that card, when you request the $, leave at least $10 rewards in the account - then after you receive the rewards card and RIGHT before you close the credit card, login and transfer the rewards to the card you already received. That will happen almost instantly and you won’t lose even a few $. (Because you can’t transfer less than $10.)

If you are playing the game with a spouse/friend/family member, don’t forget to use their referrals back and forth to double up on the bonus. When I was only getting the DVisa bonuses, my wife and I referred each other back and forth every other year.

Regarding the 24 month rule: the clock starts the day you earn the bonus, NOT the day you opened the card, so make sure you count from the right date and leave a little buffer.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

So for others: you just need to play some mental math games to make this discount work for your Disney trip.

As in "I saved 10% on this target gift card and my regular household spending will be that much less, so I’ll mentally apply that savings to my Disney trip.

rodney math

4 Likes

Just popping on here to say that I’m so annoyed that I didn’t apply for the Marriott Boundless 2 weeks ago. I thought I needed more time bc those certificates expire but it just occurred to me that I won’t get the certificates until I hit the minimum spend…so it would’ve been fine. :sob:

Here’s to hoping they bulk up some SUBs in the coming months. :weary:

2 Likes

In case it’s useful for people, this totally worked. I signed up for the Believe Key (knowing that I had dates that I would absolutely be at the parks that were blocked out by lower tiers) and signed up for the Disney Chase in the purchasing process. The $1249 got charged to the new card. By the time the card had arrived to me, they had credited me the $400.
There is a $49 annual fee.
So my first bill was $898.
Plus I got the $129 in Disney redemption awards that I can use on the trip.
I recognize that this is a REAL specific case, but it worked out nicely for my situation.

3 Likes

Sorry, I slightly misspoke. Not $129 in Disney points, only $24.98. Still, it adds up ok.

2 Likes

Been a long while since I’ve posted a points summary update, so here’s my current status!

The monthly chart a the bottom of the image below doesn’t have all the earned Chase points yet from the last few months, but should be good enough.

Even taking a slight breather mid-year in 2023 while I waited to begin my DW’s Southwest Companion pass journey in the Fall, and my only sign-up bonus card since last October being the sorta OK 2nd Amex Blue Business Plus card, we still racked up a bunch of points. (I’ll be hitting the SUB on that 2nd BBPlus pretty soon for a cool 50K Amex MR.)

Also, you might notice that my current points values are pretty darn close to the total Bonus value even after taking multiple trips last year!

Using the Amex Gold for groceries and dining (4x points) and the Chase Ink Cash for many other things (5x by using gift cards bought at Staples) really keeps the points flowing in.

So, if you need inspiration: It is almost 2 years in to my decision to hit the points game hard. I’ve found that it doesn’t really take too much work once you get a system down to keep the ball rolling. And, an added bonus from up the thread: even playing this game I have hit Perfect FICO Score Nirvana™.

For the record: I am still counting the points in my totals for 3 placeholder trips I have booked in May, July & Sept (a wedding in NC!) since they are all cancel-able. Also, I am counting the 3 remaining Marriott free night certificates at their 50K face value even though they could be used for less than that. (The Dolphin booking I have made with them all were 48-49K.)

4 Likes

When Player 2 Starts Referring to your vacation destinations by their airport code… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Sometimes I think “how many points is too many?” Or “Am I being a point hoarder?” but your post inspires me to play the game more intensely lol

2 Likes

Reporting here to say that I tested something on my Sapphire Preferred this week. I’m pretty sure I did this last year too. You can get an annual $50 hotel credit when you book with cash through their travel portal. I booked a room in early March and didn’t see the credit. I realized that it didn’t start until April 1, for me.

I booked another room. Saw the credit hit. Cancelled that room and kept my March booking. I am about 90% certain that they don’t talk to each other and the credit will stay on the account even without the booking.

3 Likes

Nice tactic to catch that $50!

2 Likes

Posted this over in the referrals thread, so pardon me for duplication but seems worthy of adding here too for those not following that one.

Heads up to any who might be thinking of getting one or is reaching their 24 month window since earning the last sign up bonus (SUB).

Increased bonus offer for both Disney Visa cards!

Playing the 2 Player game with referrals, that’s $1,000 in Disney Rewards and statement credits.
Nice if you have a trip in your future and not playing the bigger points game.

For anyone who has their referral links in the spreadsheet, might be worth checking if yours needs to be updated there to see this new bonus.
(I received my latest link via email, but you can use the Chase Catch-All site to generate a new one too.)

2 Likes

Question - my last SUB for the Disney Premier Visa is dated on my 4/1/22 statement as being awarded 3/30/22. The payment for this statement was due 4/26/22. Am I currently good to cancel and reapply to get the new bonus, or should I wait until like May 1? Do we think the boosted bonus will be around that long?

Somewhat related other question - I was going to hit the credit card application/points game hard this year after starting to a little bit last year (and successfully getting my companion pass in Feb!). But in the last few months I’ve been debating whether I might want to buy a house in the next year-ish. So I haven’t actually done any new credit cards cause I immediately got paranoid about mortgage applications, etc. How far in advance do I need to be application free, and is there a number of cards or amount of available credit that’s too much?

Based on those dates, you should be good to go! I usually waited a little extra to be sure some weird Chase date math didn’t trip me up.

But I also, probably stupidly :face_with_peeking_eye: had a few where I closed the card and applied within a day, so I guess I was a bit inconsistent.

These days, I’d probably feel better myself waiting until May 1st. I’d be super surprised if the elevated offer didn’t last a few months, they just sent out the email to DW and I today. I looked in the email terms fine print for any reference of an end date and did not see anything.

I can’t speak to the number of cards open when it comes to a mortgage check, but I think it is likely more about credit utilization than number of cards.

I think a rule of thumb for newly opened cards is probably don’t open any within 90 days before application check so you’d have some time for any FICO dips to iron out and pop back up. Also 90 days after from what I read. I suppose a high number of inquiries in the last year might lead the mortgage broker to ask you some questions, but I don’t suspect you have enough for that.

In any case, I think the worst case scenario is they ask what the purpose of the card was for. Simple answer will remedy that - “business expenses, trying to keep track of them separately” or “travel expenses, needed a card with good benefits” seem logical answers to me.

3 Likes