Credit Card Rewards & Points General Thread

Wanted to add that since Cap1 has a no-fee Venture (One?) card, I’d wait until the $395 posts for year 2 and then call and ask to downgrade to the no-fee card, rather than cancel. Keep the credit history and the low credit usage %, and ditch the fee. You’ll be eligible for the Venture SUB at some point, or maybe already. I’d also ask if there’s any “offer to make keeping the Venture X more enticing” before you downgrade. I have no specific data points for Cap1 but some banks will give you a retention offer of X miles for Y spending, or X statement credit for Y spending to offset the annual fee.

What do you do with your brand new Venture One card? Put one recurring charge on it, something small and something that only happens 1-2 times per year. That way there’s activity on it and it’s actively reporting to the credit bureaus, but not taking away from the everyday spending you’re using to work towards a new SUB.

I just upgraded from Venture to Venture X last month, and they gave me the benefits right away but I’m still only paying my annual fee on the 12 month mark (8/31 for me) which means I got at least an extra month of benefits for free. I plan to keep it for now, with the $300/year travel credit it’s a better card for me than the $95/year Venture. My husband used my referral link for a Venture and we will likely downgrade him to Venture One when we hit 12.5 months for him.

2 Likes

Just extended to 9/4. Hoping against hope for a little longer extension since timing this for 3 days (Dec 1-3) will be super tricky. Not that it’s not doable, just tricky.

If anyone’s interested in the rather advanced strategy to use this card to get Companion Pass for most of 2024 and all of 2025, this is a great primer.

3 Likes

How much time needs to elapse between canceling a Southwest card and applying for a new one? I currently have both a personal and business card, but it’s been more than two years since the business card so I’m ready to cancel that one and get a new bonus. I just never know how far in advance of reapplying I need to cancel.

2 Likes

I think in general the rule of thumb is a week or two to allow time for the systems to reflect the old card isn’t in your account.

With the Disney Visa I’ve done same day turnarounds years ago, but I don’t think I’d tempt the Chase gods like that any more. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just got a refer-a-friend bonus offer from Disney Visa, which I didn’t know existed.

ETA: Originally posted it here but I moved it to the thread/spreadsheet JJT linked.

1 Like

Howdy, Doesn’t come up much these days, but TP years ago asked that we use a dedicated thread and spreadsheet for referral links - Think they didn’t want referral links to start getting posted in various threads.

5 Likes

Ah, okay, didn’t know that. I’ll move it! Thanks for letting me know.

2 Likes

:+1: Yeah, No way to know until a party pooper like me shows up. :smiley:
Think there started to be a steady stream of referrals way back, so they asked us to consolidate.

I’m going to make a mental note to remind people about that thread and sheet once in awhile - and looking at it today I think the Google sheet has a LOT of old referral links that are probably dead by now. Probably needs to be cleaned out.

5 Likes

BTW, the link in your spreadsheet update isn’t working for me.

2 Likes

Thanks! Very weird - when I noticed mine was old today I generated a new one and updated the link.

Coincidentally minutes later I received one of the usual DVisa email offers telling me I could refer people with a different link. Wonder if the system criss-crossed.

4 Likes

Anyone here have experience with the Avios system? I believe that the points are valued fairly high and can be used on American via the One World alliance.

2 Likes

My boss accumulates American Airlines points. Its tricky when another airline is involved. Sometimes he can use the points, and sometimes not. Not sure what the rules are becuase I haven’t looked into it. These flights have always been for over seas AA flight 1 leg with a One World partner on the other. Sometimes it just wants the taxes paid and then sometimes it’s hundreds of dollars for the travel partner.

2 Likes

I have not yet, but I’d go check out Frequent Miler blog and search to see if they have any in depth posts on them.

3 Likes

I’m not interested in it at the moment, as I’ve just started a chase churn, but one day I might want to look into this system. Still trying to figure out how to maximize UR :slight_smile:

1 Like

My first redemption of Points is going to be for our upcoming Disneyland trip in Oct. We are staying 3 nights and the place we have currently booked is about $1,300. We are now going to use our Chase points to stay at one of the Hyatt hotels and either pay nothing or just $200. Very excited to have gotten in the game.

4 Likes

Looks like the ending date on the website is back to 8/28

But if I get a link for a direct referral, this verbiage appears

Earn 50,000 bonus points with any Southwest Rapid Rewards personal Credit Card. For a limited time, business owners can earn up to 120,000 bonus points with the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card. They must apply by 9/4/2023.

2 Likes

Yep, it still works from referrals until 9/4. DM me for a link and use it on 9/4 exactly and follow the instructions from the link I posted above. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, i got a link from DH, and applied for the card. I have the strategy I’m going to use to get the pass. It will work for this 2023-24, and we’ll work around 2025 and beyond later.

2 Likes

A small tip but you can add your Chase cards to your digital wallet apps from the Chase App after being approved. I did this so i could use it right away since it takes a bit to get the physical card in.

3 Likes

Not sure exactly where to post it so if there is a better thread please let me know.

Sams Club has Southwest digital giftcards at an 8.25% discount. It is the $250 cards, limit 3. ($229.38 each). My online Sams purchases code as merchandise so I’ve only found a way to get 1.5% cash back on them.

5 Likes