Credit Card Rewards & Points General Thread

Okay - looking for some thoughts here…I just made my first eBay sale :partying_face: but my profit is only $115.

Does one sale qualify me for application of a business credit card? This is the piece that I’m still a little shaky on - I don’t want to violate rules but the sign up bonuses are better and don’t count against the Chase 5/24 rule…

4 Likes

Yes. You have made a profit (but even a loss can make you a “business”). You are a sole proprietor. It’s up to you if you want to include only your profit as income or your total income as income. I’ve been looking at a couple business cards myself. But I haven’t gone through the process yet of applying. I wonder if it specifically asks to only include business income.

4 Likes

You are good to go! I believe there is an income and profit line. Income would be the Income amount you put on a personal application. For profit, just be honest. If you sell a little bit, you could put a small amount. A lot of businesses don’t earn profit for a while anyways.

4 Likes

I believe the rule is “intent to make a profit”, so actual profit is over and beyond. You also don’t have to form an actual business and all the complications involved

5 Likes

I summon to the Travel gods that no one ever need this info, but a good report from the Miles Earn & Burn blog on using the Chase Sapphire car rental insurance with a National car rental accident.

7 Likes

Anyone with a Delta Skymiles account (which you should have, just in case) - there’s a new Starbucks partner deal getting e-mailed out to people:

Runs to 9/12 and you just have to make 2 Sbux purchases of at least $2 each in a single week.

I haven’t flown Delta in years and am currently burning SW points, but if you weren’t aware, you can link your Delta Skymiles account to your Starbucks Awards acct and get Skymiles every time you buy something at Sbux. I get a coffee every day for my commute to work, so pick up a few Skymiles every day on top of my Sbux rewards.

It’s not a lot, but costs me no time or effort after first linking - and who knows, few thousand miles I earn over time might put me over the top one day when booking a flight.

7 Likes

Thanks! We generally fly Delta exclusively (not that we fly often) since Detroit is the main Delta hub.

1000.extra points for the cost of buying my wife a couple coffees (she will appreciate) is easy enough!

4 Likes

After I registered the confirmation told me I had until 8/30 to buy the coffees target than the 9/12 end date, so you might want to double check that on yours too.

2 Likes

Yeah…when you signed up, it “warned” me that the week to buy the two coffees in started at the moment you linked the deal.

1 Like

I just did this, but I’m going to leave it open.

2 Likes

With a very great ending!

3 Likes

I’d be significantly more concerned about annoying my boss switching my direct deposit. Or is there some other secret to trigger direct deposits for the credit?

1 Like

I think earlier up it was mentions that deposits from bank to bank could be considered a direct deposit (manybe Zelle?? not sure on that one though).

2 Likes

Yes - in this offer at least, people reported that a normal bank to bank transfer from Chase triggered the direct deposit.

I too would not mess with my salary direct deposit for this. :smiley:

4 Likes

@ryan1 FYI, if you haven’t bought the 2 Starbucks yet: once you hit it they send you an email confirmation that tells you you are automatically registered to do it again - this time 3 purchases for another 1x points.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I bought two Starbucks, but haven’t seen any indication that it went through. Did you see the Skymiles points credited right away?

1 Like

I’ve only received the email so far, haven’t checked Delta. Will do in a sec

2 Likes

Yep I see 1003 miles after yesterday’s Sbux purchase

2 Likes

I did realize that if you wouldn’t already have bought the coffee, the 1000 pts isn’t really worth it, since the value of 1000 points is only about $10…which is the cost of the coffee!

But…I would buy a coffee drink for my wife from somewhere (lately Panera) so getting the 1000 pts from Starbucks was easy enough…as long as it actually works!

2 Likes