CPAP and Flying

DH will be bringing his CPAP machine with him for the first time on an airplane. He wants to cushion it with his clothes and send it with his check in luggage. I think it’s a bit fragile to send it through check it. Thoughts?

Also, it will need just a bit of distilled water, less than 1 cup for the week we are in WDW. Anyone know how easy it will be to get distilled water in the WDW area? We have a car but I don’t want to drive to a number of stores looking for distilled water. We have issues getting distilled water at home. Or should we just bring some distilled water with us. Then, I’m wondering how to transport that water without contaminating it… HELP!

1 Like

I, personally, would bring my CPAP with me rather than put it in checked baggage. Not because it’s that fragile, but because I want it with me. Lost baggage is a thing, and the last thing I would want is to lose my CPAP.

4 Likes

I am pretty sure you can get distilled water in the resort gift shops.

Also I don’t think medical equipment can count against your carry-on limits. I’d bring it with vs check it

6 Likes

Good point!

4 Likes

I would recommend carrying it as well. That being said, my husband puts it in his checked luggage every time. If the luggage was lost and I have to deal with his snoring, I will scream.

7 Likes

Didn’t know this! Very convenient.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find distilled water at CVS nor Walgreens over Xmas week in Orlando. The Walgreens said there was a shortage. If you don’t need a lot, it might be better to bring with you.

2 Likes

That would be me also!

1 Like

The shortage of distilled water is problematic at home.

How would you suggest bringing some without it getting contaminated in a plastic bottle? Empty out a water bottle? I love the resort option. But, but …

2 Likes

How about something like this?

Resway Distilled Water | Travel Bottles for Resmed, Respironics Machines, Personal Humidifier | Medical Supplies for Vacation | Travel-Friendly, Clean | 16.9oz H2O (12 Pack) https://a.co/d/8K89qjO

1 Like

I don’t know. Some casual googling suggests any clean bottle will do, but I don’t have an authoritative source.

Amazon sells some travel size distilled water packs.

1 Like

And @DWJoe

The travel sized bottles are awesome! So convenient. We don’t have to spend time looking for distilled water when we fly.

I didn’t think distilled water came that small! Thank you!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Happy to be of help.

1 Like

My stepdad carried his CPAP with him. He did have to check with the airline because he would be using in enroute, but thats it. At resorts you may have to ask a CM for distilled, it’s not always on the shelf.
Also allow extra time for TSA screening, they may want to swab the CPAP.

1 Like

It definitely doesn’t count. Bring it on!

1 Like

Thank you for all the advice!

1 Like

Just to echo everyone - CPAP can definitely be carried as extra bag but be ready to have it swabbed (extra time).

Pre-shortage the resorts always carried it but the CM usually kept it behind the counter to make sure it was available for those who specifically need it.

We frequently put my DH distulled water in one of my Takea water bottles I carry. I wash it in the dish washer (sterilizes) and then add the water.

1 Like

Same!

My DH doesn’t use water. I’m not sure why.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t either. He’s had it for about 12 years and never used it.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Interesting. DH’s is about 5 months old.

1 Like