Covid vaccine and you

I think it will be more. I have a friend who works in healthcare at a hospital. She expressed concerns to me about getting the vaccine. I talked with her about it and told her I would take it as soon as I was eligible. She informed a couple of weeks later that she’d had her first dose. I think people just need to work through it in their minds but many (I hope most) will decide to move forward and get it.

5 Likes

Good news - DH was able to move up my appt to Feb 1. I believe that’s the first day they can actually give the shot to us 65+. And he got one for himself, I think using the health issues reason.

So, like FPP or ADR - keep checking and move up! Lessons from Disney…

2 Likes

I agree that some people need to warm up to the idea. I did. If you’d asked me last spring if I wanted one as soon as possible (thinking summer??) I wanted to wait for a longer, better track record. I had no urgent reason for one then, I could afford to wait. But now, I have a lot more confidence in it. And as widespread as it is, feeling it’s closing in on us (extended friends and family had it and had it rough), I’m very ready.

4 Likes

Well not long after I posted, 65+ and those with certain medical conditions can now get the vaccines. And smokers are on the list, but those with asthma are not. This already is causing an issue from what I can see.

However, there are not enough vaccines at this point.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s what it comes down to. It doesn’t matter if it is handled by doctors, or the army…there just aren’t enough vaccinations available yet to meet demand. It comes across as a mess…but the fact is, we have the limited numbers we have already due to efforts early on to speed the process.

We are all tired of this pandemic, and want it over…but we just have to remain patient. Eventually the vaccinations will happen. But states and local governments are trying to prioritize a handful of vaccines, relatively speaking.

This initially makes me a little upset, but then I need to just tell myself to cool it and not get worked up over every little moral squabble I come across. Just as ER’s can’t and shouldn’t discriminate and prioritize care based on whether the patient created the need for care by their own questionable choice, vaccine distribution should work the same way and be based solely on medical risk as much as possible, and not involve the ethics of why a group is at higher risk. Everyone wanting to be vaccinated will be, and quite soon.

Vaccine distribution has been a lot like RotR. Soooo much demand early on that supply couldn’t keep up. RotR kept breaking down because it was new and complicated, and WDW was scrambling to figure out the right system to give people the fairest chance at riding. We were all here complaining about it and trying to figure out the right strategy. The several rounds of adjustments have been improvements (I think), and the whole thing has approached an equilibrium to some extent. Same will happen with vaccines after a rocky start of trying to balance priority with speed on a supply that trickles in and isn’t available all at once. I have to cut both the fed and the states somewhat of a break, because an operation on this scale under this timeline is pretty unprecedented. We’ll get there.

9 Likes

Wow, you are so wise (this is not sarcasm!) :+1:t2:
Thank you for the perspective.

1 Like

Well put and nice analogy. I will try to practice patience:roll_eyes:

What drives me bat-poo-crazy is the vaccines that are wasted because not enough of the ‘right’ people show up. Glaring at you Cuomo.

Seems like they could do something like an express pass line. Anyone from the targeted group(s) goes into the express pass “line”. Anyone that just really really wants one can get in the other “line”. When there is no one in the express pass line THEN they do the regular line. The reason for this is that vaccines have to be tossed after 6 hours.

7 Likes

I was talking to a hospital group here today and they said they decided early on that they would not waste a single vaccine. They said they have gone beyond the current ‘phase’ at times because they aren’t willing to waste a single one. He said ‘Our CEO said he will stop people on the street if he needed to’ - I think that was a bit of an exaggeration, but I appreciate the sentiment. I applaud them for this stance and their efforts to go outside the box.

11 Likes

They actually are starting to do this in NJ. When you get on a list for a site, they ask you if you live within 15 minutes of the site, and if you do, if you’d be willing to drop everything at a moment’s notice to come in to replace a no show.

8 Likes

FL News: Beginning tomorrow you will have to show proof of FL residency to receive a vaccine. Those 36,000+ vaccine tourists that received a first dose will be allowed to get their second dose but DeSantis is shutting down the new vaccine tourist industry.

4 Likes

Same!

There is a hefty fine if distribution does not follow the phased plan in NY. This is causing wasted vaccines unfortunately.

What are people’s thoughts on the Norwegian results of the very frail dying after they got the vaccine? It makes sense that if you are frail, you may not be able to fight off even a small attack, but how do you determine whether your mother or grandfather, etc should get it?

Here, they are giving the vaccine to all the LTC facilities first. I can’t imagine all of them are in good health. And for some, they may be looking at this as a life saver, when it might make them worse.

If someone’s debunked this already, please let me know. My DMIL is one of the frail ones and is supposed to get the vaccine in the next couple of weeks. I’m worried, but also afraid to say anything to DH. I don’t want to be the bearer of a conspiracy theory.

The requirement is laughably lax. Those who occupy a Florida address seasonally or part-year are still able to get a vaccine from Florida’s allotment. Apparently a utility bill or other document showing the recipient’s name and a Florida address is sufficient.

1 Like

Still, it should eliminate random folks visiting FL just to get the vaccine. And if someone is a resident elsewhere but spends enough time in FL to justify owning a home there too, it could be helpful to FL residents to have that non-resident homeowner vaccinated. (If I was a resident I’d probably want to be ahead of them in line, but still, it seems to me that the new requirement gets rid of most of the people who provide no local benefits to Floridians to vaccinate.)

4 Likes

You are correct. Snowbirds are allowed in line. But they can no longer just show any state ID w/ their DOB to qualify. There were many many FT Florida residents complaining about nonresidents and Canadians getting inline ahead of them.

And I’m still one of them. I’ve been trying for weeks to get a spot for my 81-year-old mother. I live in a county with close to 800000 permanent residents. Eighth largest in Florida. More non-residents in Florida have gotten both vaccine doses than total doses have been allocated to my county, and that includes the public hospital group.

5400 doses were released to the county this morning at 9:00 AM. They were gone by 9:03, at least in the sense that more than 5400 people in the phone queue, so calls were no longer accepted. I dialed 40 times in two and a half minutes.

Why is your area not being prioritized?