Covid vaccination

My county in Michigan is doing really well getting all the vaccine they get into arms, and the state overall is doing fairly well, but my group (1C, “16-64 with pre-existing conditions”) isn’t up yet. My roommate, who works at Costco, is is the current group (1B, “other essential frontline workers”, which is behind 1B the other categories of 1B, like >75 but not in care, first responders, and corrections, school, childcare, food and agriculture workers) but hasn’t gotten an invite. She doesn’t have a primary care doctor, so she’s only registered with the counties where we live and where she works and at Meijer.

I certainly hope you qualify as a teacher. You have been working in person since the beginning of the pandemic.

3 Likes

Yes, it is all staff! Our cafeteria staff, bus drivers, and custodians have not stopped!

6 Likes

I am super excited for you!

3 Likes

DH just told me that the CVS web site for their vaccine appointments, used by several states now, works much better with some browsers than others. So be sure to try other browsers or computers if you have trouble with it, such as it saying there are openings but not actually showing you any slots.

6 Likes

I am getting my first dose on Sunday!! Illinois has been vaccinating teachers for awhile now, and Missouri teachers can register through WalMart and get the vaccine in Illinois. So, I’m driving an hour to cross the River and get my first dose. A few teachers in my building have already received their first dose in Illinois.

7 Likes

I too am getting my first does on Sunday! I really cannot believe it!

17 Likes

I’m seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel :heart_eyes: FEMA sites are up in FL and the state finally got their act together :face_with_monocle: and created the necessary forms for ppl under 65 w/ med conditions. Hopefully I will have my first shot by the end of this week. sigh :partying_face:

Here’s the link for anyone else in FL that might need this form: EO-21-47-Form.pdf (state.fl.us) I called my Dr.'s office and am going now to drop the form off for her to complete and sign :smile:

11 Likes

@PrincipalTinker and @vcka This is great news. I’m so happy for both of you!

9 Likes

Experts now say there’s a simple reason why Nevada’s COVID-19 vaccine allotment has seemed low for months.

Fast-growing states have been disadvantaged due to the federal government’s reliance on old population data.

Weekly vaccine allocations are proportional to each state’s estimated adult population recorded in the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2014-18 American Community Survey. The 2015-19 estimates show Nevada with a 1.9 percent larger adult population, one of the biggest increases in the nation.

“We get a smaller share of the vaccines compared to what we should have because we’re using kind of older data, and Nevada has grown since then,” UNLV epidemiologist Brian Labus said. “The farther back you look, the greater the gap is going to be.”

White House COVID-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said Monday the allocation method will continue as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine comes online.

“If a state represents 2 percent of the U.S. population, it receives 2 percent of the Pzifer allocation, 2 percent of the Moderna allocation, and will now receive 2 percent of the J & J allocation that is made to states tribes and territories,” he said.

However, Nevada officials have said for weeks that the math doesn’t seem to be adding up. A Review-Journal analysis based on more recent estimates and published in late January found that the state appeared to be allocated doses at a rate lower than most other states.

2 Likes

I’m getting my first round tomorrow! Technically, we are supposed to open to Essential workers (me) on the 10th, but I got an email today that there are some appointments available tomorrow, and I jumped on it. Kinda sucky timing because we are going to the aquarium about an hour away and our appointment time is 11:30, and my vaccine is at 2:30, but I will make it. I picked 11:30 because I wanted to get my favorite Indian food afterwards, but oh well.

7 Likes

I got my second dose today! I am very relieved- now if only DH could get it, we would feel good about the possibility of a summer trip!

8 Likes

Yay, and fingers crossed for your DH.

Also, I cannot stop ogling your avatar pic!!! It is breathtakingly perfect.

2 Likes

Yes it almost makes up for the fact that I can’t be there to see it myself! :cry:

1 Like

DD22 got her second dose of Moderna yesterday. She woke up today with chills, stuffy nose, and body aches. She was supposed to get it on Saturday but they ran out of vaccines. Most of the state ran out. Thankfully, they rescheduled her for 4 days later.

4 Likes

Meanwhile up in Canada… I’m two years shy of qualifying to get the AstraZeneca one this month🤪 But, my mom and her husband will be able to get Moderna or Pfizer later this month. The way things are going, I figure I might qualify for something in April. They extended the timeline for giving the 2nd dose to 4 months, so plan is to have every adult vaccinated with at least one dose by end of June. (Of course, that’s every adult willing to be vaccinated. We have our fair share of anti-vaxxers) My Grandma though sticks with previous timeframe, so she’ll still get her 2nd dose in a few weeks. Currently it’s public health and pharmacies giving the vaccines to qualified people.

3 Likes

Dose two symptoms are no joke! I have nausea, chills, a fever, joint pain, body aches, and a major headache. Staying home from work today to sleep it off. I will add that I’d still choose these side effects over covid any day!

7 Likes

This is great news! Happy to see teacher friends getting vaccinated. Happy to also be among that number!

I am relieved to be eligible for vaccination ahead of the J&J being widely available. As someone who is at lower risk for covid complications, it becomes a bigger moral issue. If it’s the only vaccine available for my kids, I will pass on it until they can receive something else. But I truly believe it is not a cut and dry decision.

2 Likes

I’ll be getting dose 2 of Pfizer in 2 weeks. Not looking forward to the side effects but I agree, better than Covid! Hope you feel better soon!

3 Likes

I agree it’s not cut and dry, especially when a person’s religion / faith is involved, and I don’t judge someone for making a decision consulting with their conscience on that basis.

That said, I personally have no reservations about taking any of these vaccines from a moral perspective. The vaccine itself does not contain fetal tissue. It was produced in the lab-grown cells that were descended from cells taken from a fetus in 1985. So using this vaccine is neither injecting actual fetus tissue, nor is it encouraging or requiring the performance of abortions. It is simply making use of resources that already exist. There are lots of analogies you could make there.

Barker adds that viruses and viral vectors can’t be made in a test tube (like the mRNA vaccines are), so they have to be made in some kind of cell. “PerC6 cells are the commonly used cells in the adenovirus vector field for making viruses and is known for being safe and reliable.” Also, human cells have to be used for this process, because they’re the only ones that contain the correct sugars to add to the proteins.

Anyway, just providing these insights in case it is useful to anyone as they make their decision!

8 Likes