Couples trip help - What to do?

So I’m making some significant 11th hour changes to the plan, because DH is TIRED. He’s on his feet from 630a-at least 630p most days, and worked last weekend with overnight call, so tmw will be day 11 with 3 overnight calls w no break. The plan I had worked well for me, but I can just see that it is not going to work for him. FOMOm over here trying to eliminate things, while park reservation issues are limiting how much I can do.

So here is the old plan:
3/26: Late AK with Nomad, FFF, FOP ILL, to HS with stacked ROTR, MMRR, ToT, TSM, uber to Jiko 915 res
3/27: Keys to the Kingdom 930-230, in line for Trader Sams, break 7-845, Bull & Bear dinner 915
3/28: Flower and Garden, 1pm Le Cellier until time to go to MCO at 4p

New, more relaxed plan
3/26: Late AK with Nomad, FFF, FOP ILL, break from 3-6ish HS with stacked ROTR, MMRR, TSM, find dinner on BW after park close at 9
3/27: late A&C breakfast, either MK or EP strolling, in line for Trader Sams at 2, Enchanted Rose and/or break, Bull & Bear dinner 915
3/28: Flower and Garden, 1pm Le Cellier until time to go to MCO at 4p

This eliminates Jiko :sob:, KTTK :sob:, probably MK entirely :sob:
But it allows us to sleep in all but day 1 (cause no G+) and to not rush from place to place.

I haven’t actually cancelled Jiko or KTTK yet because I keep thinking I’ll find a way to make the plan work AND not have a very, very exhausted DH, but in sitting here for 3 hrs, I haven’t yet…

5 Likes

Like, an obviously better plan is to move the AK morning to Sunday if we are skipping KTTK, but guess what… no park reservations.

2 Likes

Sometimes it says sold out, but it’s really not. Only bad thing isnyou have to cancel your reservation for that day to try.

Yeah, I just got a reservation for a client doing that. But I’m nervous to cancel.

I would be too. I think skipping KTTK is actually a good idea. You can go at your own pace vs being herded around for 5 hours straight. It sucks to miss Jiko, but maybe Shulas is open late at Dolphin.

1 Like

You gave me the kick I needed to cancel KTTK, MK reservations and pick up AK, which was easy. THANK YOU!

2 Likes

Yay!

Calling in more liner assistance. @Bubblez what is the least fancy thing we can get away with wearing at bnb? Can he do a collared shirt and shorts and me black pants and flats?? I mean i wanna go in my sexy new clarabelle cow tee but

3 Likes

:joy::joy:

DH only went in polos and cargo shorts iirc. And I was in jeans and a nice sweater and both of us were in sneakers.

I saw a guy UBER dressed down in sweats and a ball cap. Like I was surprised they let him in, but he was with a table in a private part of the restaurant. So with enough money, I don’t think there is a dress code.

I also had a very pretty young lady in a quinceañera ball gown at the table next to me on my second visit so /shrug.

The food and the experience lended itself to be a few hour long dinner. We never felt rushed or looked down on, despite our theme park attire. So I would say first and foremost, dress comfortably and bring your appetites.

I also recommend the smoked old fashioned for DH if he’s a drinker, if not the lady that smokes the drinks is really sweet and kinda rad so she might have some fun mock tails in mind if you ask!

Lastly, DH near melted in his seat when he had the Pasta Explosion appetizer. He loved it so much he ordered it again for dessert. Just a heads up it might be worth trying though I was more partial to the carpaccio.
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Also, I’m so incredibly excited for your trip!!

2 Likes

Yay!!! Thank you!! There will definitely be smoked beverages for DH. Ok im happy i wont be under dressed in jeans. I like to pack light and a whole extra outfit for one meal bothers me more than it should

1 Like

I’m also going to throw in that my DH is exhausted too. Disney was great for me, but he still worked every day. He’s super grumpy and always tired so even though they’re in different fields, I get having a tired as f hubby and bigger than life Disney dreams/plans.

Honestly, besides eating, our favorite couple thing to do is walk World Showcase. Next is HS/MK and lastly AK.

He finally just admitted that he doesn’t give a crap about Disney itself (meaning he’d never think to take a trip without us), but it’s his favorite place to go with us because of how much joy (pre-13yo) DS and I get/got out of it. He just loved me not being stressed and watching me run around like a kid screaming in all the rides.

No matter what you guys do, he’ll love it. Especially if RD is off the table it seems :joy: He’s just going to your happy place to share in the moment with you. Yes you! So don’t stress. Take a deep breath and enjoy yourself.

5 Likes

Ok this post deserves more than 1 heart. Are you sure we arent married to the same dude? Cause literally everything you wrote is either a) true about my DH or b) things my DH has said almost verbatim

The whole reason he suggested this trip was because he wanted to share in my joy. He could care less if he ever stepped foot in the world again, but he just likes seeing me happy.

For realz @Bubblez you are a gift. Thank you. Im so excited to get going now!!!

3 Likes

Jumping in late to ask if you’ve considered splitting up sometimes, even though it’s a couples trip? My DH is similar; he only does Disney because he likes how happy it makes me. He also has the opposite idea of a vacation than me–I want to go, go, go and he wants to sleep and relax. We’ve discovered we do WDW best if he sleeps late while I go to the parks early and then we meet up for lunch. Often he takes a break in the afternoon and I stay in the parks, and he joins me for dinner and stays through park close. This way we get time together, he gets rest, and I get all the rides!

3 Likes

This is exactly what DH and I do. DS loves the parks as much as I do, we typically rope drop and meet up with DH either back at the resort or later in the morning. All three of us head to the parks together, then, for the evening.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I would do, I think, but it’s hard to get him not to feel guilty. I also haven’t had the chance to have a conversation with him all week. This morning, he was like “what are we doing this weekend?” and I’m like uhhhh well I have plans for us and he’s like “I want to have FUN!” meanwhile he got home after I had gone to bed last night and has been home late most nights this week. So who the heck knows!

2 Likes

@FOMOm_VA :heart: I get you.

For me, he puts on a brave face and let’s me plan like a maniac, then during/after I can totally tell when it’s too much.

So we started doing what @baemax said. I sneak out while he’s still asleep/relaxing/working in the room. He joins me when he’s up to it, usually for lunch and light walking around. He goes back for work/relaxing/nap, then meets up around dinner time and then spends the rest of the night with me/us.

This way, he gets much needed sleep/work in and I don’t have to sit in a room standing over him while he sleeps.

I’m kidding. -ish.

Seriously, me sacrificing my park time to while he rested just put me in a bad mood, which then put him in a bad mood.

This is your first time (I think) in the world, just as a couple, after kids. It’s a very different dynamic and you’ll feel it out and make adjustments as needed. Maybe the late nights aren’t his thing, but maybe he’ll rope drop and do his relaxing later on.

3 Likes

Wow a lot of us are married to the same guy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Mine used to just tolerate Disney because he enjoyed seeing me and our kids enjoy it immensely. Now that we are local I think he likes in more because it’s more relaxed and I don’t make him go for several days in a row and cram everything into one day!

2 Likes