Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 4

https://www.fda.gov/media/155049/download

You just need a diagnosis of Covid now, not necessarily a positive test. Not sure the driver for this. Perhaps if you develop symptoms and know you’re had exposure (like a household member), It expedites the treatment? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think it expedites treatment. It can take days to test positive in a rapid.

3 Likes

Maybe there’s no longer a shortage, and they want to sell more.

1 Like

And for whatever reason somepeople just don’t test positive. My boss’s wife has had Covid twice and tested every day both times and different ways. Classic symptoms both times. She has long term Covid now. Both times her household has positive tests too. She has never tested positive.

4 Likes

So a co-worker’s 24 yo niece is in the hospital sedated and intubated with covid. She was feeling short of breath Wednesday and drove herself to the hospital. Within hours she was diagnosed with covid and then intubated. She had her original vaccination, but my coworker isn’t sure if she’s had her boosters. They are doing an mri today bc there isn’t any brain activity. It’s just tragic and unimaginable and a cautionary tale to everyone that this isn’t over yet.

7 Likes

That is so heartbreaking :mending_heart:.

3 Likes

How sad. That’s why I hate it when people say “Covid is only a cold”. :angry:

6 Likes

I know. It’s so scary because you just don’t know! Nobody does.

3 Likes

Worst “cold” I’ve ever had, for sure.

3 Likes

Awful. Was it you that also knew a young guy (40s) that had very serious Covid issues a year or two ago? Maybe I am mixing my Liners up.

2 Likes

That’s awful, so young.

2 Likes

That’s me too. He’s 41 and I actually had lunch with his mom yesterday. He’s been living with them since he got out of rehab and he is doing a lot better, but not enough to be self sufficient. They just sold his house finally bc if he does go through with the lung transplant (lot of working parts there) they will have to move to Duke for 6+ months and need the money. He is on oxygen full time, but is able to drive and work an administrative job twice a week. He is finally gave up his walker for all but the longest distances and is able to navigate stairs so he has moved up to a guest room vs taking over their primary suite. He still has to use a chair in the shower bc he just doesn’t have the strength yet to stand for the whole time. He’s been diagnosed with ptsd on a level equivalent to a war vet and is under psychiatric care too. It’s still a very long road for him to be on his own again.

9 Likes

That’s horrible! sending prayers for the family. She must have tanked fast! I thought they were doing everything they could before intubating. What a tragedy.

3 Likes

These stories are all so :broken_heart:. I really struggle that we’ve decided this level of suffering is acceptable. Prayers for both families.

There was a a really interesting interview about Long Covid with Eric Topol on In the Bubble today. Worth a listen. I’ll try to circle back in a couple of days once they put out the transcript and pull some highlights if I have time.

3 Likes

I think she hadn’t been feeling well, but her trouble breathing got bad enough for her to drive herself to the hospital and within hours she was bad enough they had to intubate her.

5 Likes

How horrible.

2 Likes

Keep those bingo cards handy…we may need a special “locations of Chinese spy balloons” round…

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Ok, apparently these are the locations to :white_check_mark: so far…
Alaska
Canada
Montana
Kansas
Missouri
*Costa Rica
*Columbia
*Venezuela

*Path not confirmed?

Coming up:
https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hypub-bin/trajresults.pl?jobidno=196391

ETA: Ok, @LTinNC82 , here’s what you are looking for… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

That’s so mundane looking. I would probably just disregard it if I saw it in the sky. This is very bold of China to try to get away with this. :grimacing:

2 Likes