Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Wow! Not quite that bad here…if there are any on the shelves…it’s been really picked over…

And…my uncle that lives nearby may have just given me 6 dozen from his chickens… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Um. Do I need to start driving south for groceries?

1 Like

Now look at the rabbit hole you sent me down!

3 Likes

Wow! I’d call that a lot of variation for stores that aren’t that far apart. That’s $.59 a dozen difference between the south side of Houston and the northeast side.

I’d you want 5 dozen at once, Costco next door had them at $15 (or 15.99 more likely).

Sadly my fridge is organized to only hold 4 dozen at a time.

3 Likes

We went to Marketbasket this morning (usually the cheapest prices). A dozen eggs were $3.99, both store brand and premium. Our issue is most of our recipes have been planned with extra large eggs (which we cannot find) and around here “brown eggs are local eggs” and those too are hard to find.

2 Likes

I just saw a meme They we’re going to be painting potatoes for Easter.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, I struggle to find room in my fridge for more than 3 dozen. (We pound through things like milk so space can get at a premium. And “only” use about 2 dozen eggs/week.)

But when 6 dozen eggs appear on your counter, hard to say “no”. I made room but things were balanced a bit precariously after each of the next couple of grocery runs trying to make it all work. :sweat_smile:

:hatching_chick:

4 Likes

Kraken is no joke.

The cold-like symptoms are definitely worse than my round with Omicron last January. And the COVID brain thing is real!! I tried to do 2 different WW zoom workshops today with coaches I LOVE and I could hardly focus for more than a minute or so. Taken a couple of naps through the day.

My sister’s boyfriend (he’s in culinary on the Dream and he’s from India) told her to tell me to drink only hot things like hot water, hot tea, etc. She said she told him I wouldn’t do it, but she’d tell me. My inner toddler is like “Oh yeah??” so it’s been a day of hot green tea or hot water with honey. Only exceptions being when I needed to take my Coricidin because I can’t do meds and hot drinks. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do - and may be a cultural thing - but I figure it can’t HURT, so…

6 Likes

I’m so sorry :crying_cat_face:. Does kraken have the horrific sore throat?

3 Likes

Thank you!! Not horrific - but my throat did hurt a bit Thursday morning. It’s more in my nose and sinuses. And just being tired and fuzzy-brained.

The one symptom that I would NEVER have put with COVID was an achy lower back. Apparently that and the scratchy throat are some of the first symptoms of Kraken. In hindsight I do remember my lower back was being really achy on Wednesday afternoon (I was still testing negative Wednesday night) but I’d chalked it up to sitting in kid chairs to work with them.

5 Likes

Hope it’s mild for you. I’m day 10 today and had a temp of 100.6 sometime today. My work requires you to be less than 99.6 for 72 hours before return to work . . .

7 Likes

Long Covid is still a lot of guesswork, but there is a strong sentiment among many patient-advocates that pushing through the fatigue makes it worse. They are pretty adamant about trying to get extreme rest during the acute phase of the disease. Easier said than done, obviously, but resting when you are obviously ill doesn’t seem like it could likely be a bad idea. Praying for you to recover well!

7 Likes

Oh I’m not doing anything more active than walking between the bed and the bathroom - or the kitchen to get food.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s good. Keep it up! Just watch out for mental exertion too. It counts.

4 Likes

I just don’t understand why on occasion I still hear supposed public health “experts” talking about how close we are to herd immunity. Whenever I hear this, for me their credibility always goes down substantially.

Herd immunity is when there is enough immunity to prevent transmission within a population. It is not how many people are prevented from having severe disease in the acute stage of the infection. Herd immunity is supposed to be about what is necessary to protect the entire herd, not about protecting enough of the strongest members so the herd survives.

Herd immunity is clearly not happening regardless of the number of people infected. If so, it would have happened after the first huge Omicron surge.

8 Likes

And the biggest problem is that the variants keep changing. Kraken in particular they have found to be able to get around antibodies and vaccine protections. Illness due to it is still not as bad in those with vaccinations or antibodies, but in a lot of cases (from what I was reading once my test got its second line) definitely more symptomatic than earlier variants.

4 Likes

Hate the virus, but like these twitter made-up names like Kraken. Maybe we could name future variants after Disney villains. Scar, Ursula, Hook and the snot inducing variant Oogie Boogie.

7 Likes

There was a fairly pointed medtwitter debate last week on whether it was appropriate to use unofficial nicknames. “Convenience” vs “fear mongering”. Whatever. :roll_eyes: I fall on the convenience side. :woman_shrugging:

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

It’s definitely easier to use Kraken than “XBB1.5”

3 Likes

A couple useful graphics to visualize the continuing evolution of the virus. (Source: latest BCM update)

Evolutionary tree, to help see the major variant families (the fact Omicron did not evolve from the more severe Delta has definitely been a blessing, putting the immune-naive IFR of the Omicron variants roughly on par with the original variant of Covid rather than the higher IFR of Delta…hoping our luck holds out that none of the new variants randomly pick up the mutations that caused Delta to be more severe, which is unfortunately possible).

And here is a graphic where the distance represents the number of mutations from the original variant and other variants/subvariants.

So, even though current strains are all part of the Omicron family (thus the lack of new official WHO names), the mutations within Omicron are just as diverse as between the other named variants, thus the need to differentiate them.

4 Likes