Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

4 Likes

5 Likes

^Last week

This week:

5 Likes

So we are going on a two-week trip in a few months that will be a week in the parks and then a week with DCL. What are the top tips for staying well during that time? (Not just from COVID, but also flu/RSV/noro/whateverthefunk.)

I got the obvious ones:

-Wash hands often, especially before meals
-Avoid buffets whenever possible but if you must buffet, use a napkin to touch utensils and wash your hands before eating
-Eat outdoors as often as possible
-If confined indoors for an attraction or other event, n95 up
-Carry hand sanitizer and use it periodically
-Try to touch as little as possible, including your face

Any other more creative tips? Like someone on a DCL group just mentioned peroxide wipes, for the hotel and boat, because I guess thatā€™s the only thing that can kill norovirus (?), so Iā€™m going to get some of those.

Iā€™ve not heard this before :woman_shrugging: I would think clorox wipes would be easier to find.

Clorox makes them as well. But apparently regular bleach wipes donā€™t kill norovirus? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

hmmmā€¦ I need to do some more reading :wink: First up from Cleveland Clinic about using bleach to kill it. They donā€™t say anything about Clorox wipes, but they do mention alcohol as being ineffective, the main disinfecting ingredient in hand sanitizer. How to Clean Up After Norovirus ā€“ Cleveland Clinic.

ETA: (now packing clorox wipes in her overnight bag for resort)

Apparently hand sanitizer does not work for noro primarily because the gel form of it protects the capsule that surrounds the virus? I am not a medical professional. :smiley: But I added some peroxide wipes to my Amazon list for further research.

1 Like

(Now, going to get a zip lock bag to put Clorox wipes in to carry in my purse for the parks. Good for using after the disgusting practice, that wonā€™t go away, of finger-printing at tapstyle :face_vomiting:)

Yeah, as always, the best thing is to just wash your hands. As it was explained to me early in COVID, any kind of disinfectant may or may not leave the virus/bacteria on your hands and render it inert, but soap and water remove it from your skin altogether, which is why washing your hands is always preferable if you can manage it.

And bleach wipes arenā€™t the best for your skinā€¦ take it from someone who once took a CPR class and forgot to rinse off the dummy after sanitizing it and ended up looking like Bozo the Clown from a mild chemical burn. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh dear, thatā€™s awful!
It never hurts to be reminded that washing hands is the best. Iā€™m always surprised, in public restrooms, by those that ā€˜just rinseā€™ and cheered by those that suds up and scrub for a good length of time as I do (singing happy birthday twice to myself).

:nauseated_face:

1 Like

I will be the first to admit that I donā€™t always lather up my hands for the full 20 seconds. I need to get back in that habit. But just rinsing? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Or not even doing thatā€¦ people can be grody.

1 Like

You may also want to mask in crowded outdoor areas, especially if there isnā€™t a good breeze and/or situations where youā€™ll be in close proximity to the same people for an extended period of time. We have a neighbor that is pretty sure she caught it at an outdoor cafe where the tables were packed together. :confused:

2 Likes

I keep a mask on at WDW at all times unless Iā€™m eating.

1 Like

A few ideas:

Socially distance as much as possible, especially in places where youā€™ll be lingering for a while. Go during off hours, to less crowded locations/venues, for shorter durations, via less crowded routes.

Pay attention to ventilation - sit near exterior window or door if possible.

If you have a balcony cabin, open the balcony door to ventilate the cabin after the room steward leaves. Cabin ventilation can also help prevent spread within the traveling party. If you have an air purifier with you that can help with that too.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

So after 3 years DH and I tested positive. We just back from a long weekend at a lodge. I feel extremely tired but thatā€™s the worst. Kids are negative so far.

5 Likes

Hope it stays mild!

2 Likes

Hope itā€™s short, mild, and kids donā€™t catch it!

2 Likes