Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

DW tested negative today, day 11. DD and I are on day 9, still positive, but line is fainter and we’re all feeling better, thank heaven.

11 Likes

Yay for DW! And I hope that you and DD follow soon.

:astonished: I’m so sorry! Isolating for that long must have been so difficult. I’m glad that you’re both doing better now!

3 Likes

Whomp whomp.

My para has had cold-like symptoms all week - but has refused to test.

I tested Monday - negative. Last night - negative. Had a scratchy throat and felt “cold-ish” all day today (and also an achy lower back which I thought was how I slept partly sitting up last night but I have since learned is one of the main symptoms of Kraken) - so I put in a pick-up order for some cold medicine and a couple of tests at Walgreen’s. Got home and tested and before the 15 minutes was up it was clear.

Home until at least Wednesday. The DoE’s policy is “5 days from test and then back as long as you are not symptomatic or your symptoms are improving wearing a N95/KN95 mask for 5 more days”. No need to “test out” - but if you have 2 negative tests 48 hours apart in the 5 days of masking you can take off the mask.

Hoping I have as easy a time as I did in January 2022.

9 Likes

Ugh that sucks. Really hope it’s mild for you.

4 Likes

Hope so too. Feel better.

4 Likes

Really? I’d be fuming :rage:.

4 Likes

Bingo card check: Eggs are the new toilet paper

(And what would your 2019 self make of that statement? :joy:)

7 Likes

Honestly I’d probably think kids egging houses was making a come back.

4 Likes

The common joke here in AZ: A man in the check-out line sees the person ahead of him with a dozen eggs, and ask, “Gee, what’d you do - rob a bank?” Eggs are about $6 per dozen at the big grocery store, $5-something at Walmart.

1 Like

I was NOT happy. When I coughed yesterday (I didn’t really start feeling ick until right at the end of the day) and she said “You’re not sick are you?” I just glared and said “Who’s been here all week sick??” She did get my point - and when she called after I texted her to let her know I was positive she said “Maybe I spread this to everyone”.

She did wear a mask (I was anyway), but still.

4 Likes

Well, at least she admitted it, but still.

The new variants seem to be much more contagious. Wearing a mask doesn’t seem to help much.

I hope your case is mild. It sure sucks.

3 Likes

Yeah…Kraken seems to be slippery. (based on sore throat and lower back pain being the first niggles I really felt - and they seem to be topping Kraken’s symptom list I’m guessing that’s my variant)

So far still just like a bad cold.

Instacart order placed for groceries (of course, I’d planned to do my mid-month grocery shopping after school today) and a delivery order from Target of a few things Wegman’s didn’t have. I’m good to go.

5 Likes

Instacart is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? I selfishly am glad I work from home. I do have to venture out here and there, but I’ve been wearing my N95 when I do. I’m sorry you are going through this and that there isn’t anyone to nurse you back to health. :people_hugging:

5 Likes

Thanks! My dad is like “I wish we were closer!”

Merida has done her morning check on me. I think she’s napping in the back room now. HAHA!

Edit: She’s at the end of the bed. I just stretched my legs out and feet felt cat belly.

6 Likes

Day 11 for DD & me: our 1st negative.
Day 13 for DW: her 2nd negative.

Symptoms essentially gone although I cough or sniffle occasionally. We pray there will be no long COVID :pleading_face: We are going back to the same precautions we took before (N95 indoors, unless uncrowded and well ventilated).

This was our 1st experience with rapid tests. Previously, we only used PCR, as we weren’t sick and we wanted the maximum evidence of that. But I’ve come to appreciate the value of rapid tests to detect when you stop being positive. I didn’t stockpile rapid tests before, but I’ll keep a couple months’ supply on hand going forward. Our health insurance will cover 8 tests / person / month.

8 Likes

Help less but they should still help.

3 Likes

Hooray, we all three tested negative yesterday at the clinic. We had mostly been without symptoms for a few days, just working out the residual cough. On the whole, it wasnt much worse for us than a typical cough, but thank god for vaccines because i can imagine it might have been a lot worse.

8 Likes

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is some data that initial viral load exposure has some correlation to severity. So those that catch it despite being masked at the time are statistically likely to have milder illness.

Unfortunately, there is a downside to that. There is also a lessor volume of data that ongoing exposure while you are infected might increase severity to some degree. So the whole “oh, we’re all infected, so no reason to keep isolating/masking” might not be completely valid. (FWIW, in our household we’ve so far made zero attempt to isolate positive cases from each other. In a household with more vulnerable members, it might be worth continuing some precautions though.)

4 Likes

Viral load is so true and worth considering.

2 Likes

First, the not-so-good news.

Ok, imagine this scenario. You get Covid and lose your sense of smell. You go to the doctor, who tells you there are no proven targeted treatments available and you may or may not regain your sense of smell over time. After a few follow up visits where you still have no sense of smell and the doctor throws a few different medicines at it that make no difference, you stop seeking treatments. The doctor assumes this means your condition has cleared.

That’s basically a significant component of the design of this study, so I wouldn’t put to much stock in it, unfortunately. There was zero confirmation from the study subjects that their symptoms were resolved. Absence of further records was designated resolved. Even for more serious symptoms, many people are going to give up seeking treatments if there are none available. :woman_shrugging:

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/12/long-covid-symptoms-study

Now, for some good news. Keep in mind this is from a pay-to-be-verified Twitter account that I only encountered today. They report having Long Covid from SARSCoV1 in 2003.

More details:
https://twitter.com/mindovercolor/status/1612918948584095745?s=46&t=e6fAs92mcf_oCo9wV5JKwg

Even if it doesn’t pan out for many when put into larger trials, someone that’s been suffering for 20 years is having some relief! :partying_face:

4 Likes