Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Because I like you all, I sincerely hope everyone on this forum knows about both.

2 Likes

I think it depends on how effective.vaccines are against Omicron. The vaccines were by and large effective against bad outcomes for Delta, which is why I think that they let cruises continue.

The good news is that both Pfizer and Moderna said that, if it is indeed necessary, they could have an Omicron-specific booster shipping in 100 days - so maybe just a brief suspension if needed.

Hopefully that won’t be necessary though and current vaccines will still be effective enough (or vaccines + booster).

4 Likes

I’ve followed this thread for a long time but rarely post, I find allot of useful info! One question I have is about the spacing of pediatric Vax. DD8 had her first dose November 13 and the pharmacy scheduled her second for December 4. Is 3 weeks too soon? DW and I both had 4 weeks between doses.

4 Likes

Pfizer is three weeks. Did you have Moderna (4 weeks)?

7 Likes

Still too early to even make an assessment of this. Supposedly there were flights to Frankfort from the same areas of South Africa around the same time and there were 0 positives (can’t recall where I read that). While the 61/600 sounds really bad (and it might be really bad), it is possible that it is mainly the result of clusters of people who were together before boarding like tour groups, a few large families, people who attended the same event, etc. And then there is the question of how many of the 61 are Omicron and how many are Delta.

5 Likes

Pfizer is 3 weeks between doses, Moderna 4. I had my Pfizer dose back in April, and then my second dose 3 weeks later, while my DW had Moderna and then her second dose 4 weeks later.

4 Likes

Pediatrician here. Three weeks is the correct interval for Pfizer. Thank you for protecting your child. Strong work!!

14 Likes

DD6 said that the kids in her first grade class get excited when another kid shows up with a vaccination sticker. We know of 14 kids in her class of 22 that have already had their first dose. The total is likely higher than 14 because DW and I don’t know the parents of the remaining 8 … likely at least some of those 8 have had their first dose too.

7 Likes

That is awesome!! Truly makes my heart sing.

3 Likes

My take on the omicron articles: 1) Freak out! Freak out! Freak out! 2) We don’t know anything. But, we’re going to freak out just in case.

7 Likes

I have (many times rescheduled) tickets to a concert from a musical group from South Africa. It’s now in Feb. I’m wondering if I should skip it, should it actually take place. Oddly I wondered the same thing around the beginning of the pandemic when there was a different strain becoming problematic in South Africa, but that fizzled out, I think.

Unless you’re planning to be a groupie and try to get into their dressing rooms, I wouldn’t let them being from South Africa factor in much from an attendance standpoint (although it could factor into whether the event happens).

The bigger risk concerns are the protocols the venue has in place and the community transmission rates of the rest of the audience. Which could change completely between now and then.

We really won’t know much at all about the real world impact of this variant for at least a week or two.

The professionals need to get a lot of prep work in motion just in case.

For the rest of us, it’s pandemic business-as-usual. Get as many people around you as you can vaxxed and boosted. Make decisions based on your current level of community transmission. Do what you reasonably can not to be part of a transmission chain to vulnerable people.

2 Likes

The venue currently has a 100% vaccine requirement. Masks not required but encouraged. I fully expect this to fluctuate before late Feb. I’ve been there before and I know that there is a large amount of empty space surrounding the stage area, so if I’m willing to sacrifice seeing the performers for awhile I can “escape” to a less crowded place.

1 Like

Latest update from WHO:

Basic blocking-and-tackling for us commoners…
Recommended actions for people
The most effective steps individuals can take to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus is to keep a physical distance of at least 1 metre from others; wear a well-fitting mask; open windows to improve ventilation; avoid poorly ventilated or crowded spaces; keep hands clean; cough or sneeze into a bent elbow or tissue; and get vaccinated when it’s their turn.

2 Likes

It is very comforting to me that all we have to do, at the moment, is keep on doing what we were already doing. However, I really do want to go on my cruise next June. And I want to go see House of Gucci. Sigh. I did also promise my kids we’re going to Six Flags Christmas here, but it’s so cold this time of year that that’s a short lived affair on a good day…

1 Like

Do your theaters have reserved seating? I know here you can select your seat(s) when you purchase your ticket so you can select one that is away from others. I don’t think that House of Gucci is really the blockbuster pack-em-in kind of movie like Ghostbusters or the like, so it shouldn’t be hard to get seats apart from others. (And full disclosure here - if I discover that people have crowded me in with seats, I’ll check the app and either move on my own to a non-crowded area or see the guest services agent to switch my seat officially.) Between everyone having to show their vaccine cards, masks still recommended (and the vast majority of people adhere to those here) other than between bites, and being able to choose a non-crowded seat I feel very comfortable in the movie theaters.

1 Like

How many places have these recommendations in place? Physical distancing has been lifted in my state (stores, work, schools), masks have been lifted in most places, people have returned to overcrowded venues. Honestly, I have been in public bathrooms recently and people are not even washing their hands.

Dunno. It’s why we still aren’t doing much of anything.

For the DS12s birthday, we did a private watch party of Ghostbusters at Cinemark. Only invited people we knew would respond positively to our self-imposed mandatory mask requirement. Then had a cookie cake tailgate party out in the parking lot. It was fabulous, and since all the families were on board with the protocols ahead of time, it was very low stress. (I’ve kind of had it with people outlining Covid protocols on invites and then not sticking to them.)

We have a couple local live theaters requiring masks and negative tests or vaccinations. We’re gone twice.

Still getting classroom exposure notifications on our kids at least every other week so doing weekly at-home testing. That’s our big exposure point.

I get in and out of shops as quickly as I can.

4 Likes

Yes, pretty much all reserved seating around here. My last big outing pre pandemic I went to a movie, Emma, and I’ll never forget how I was pleased that I got a seat in the back with nobody around me, and then it was sold out when I arrived so I was right next to people. Ugh! And that was before we knew that covid had gotten here to the USA, but I still felt unsafe. I didn’t get sick though. I might go to the movies now, but I would wait a few weeks. Honestly I probably won’t have time with all the stuff I have to do for Xmas, even just to have a totally at home Xmas.

1 Like

Good article on vaccines in the wake of Omecron, and why they are still vitally important.

4 Likes