Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

It is funny, as numbers have gone back up I have read a few things that mask mandates should be in place. I would be surprised if they are put back in place. I think they will continue to be dropped as cases rise,

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:

Iā€™m trying to stay emotionally detached at this point.

Have you ever read a book series where along about Book 4, you feel like itā€™s just been the same story over and over again?

ā€œThis virus is really bad. It will take a collective sacrifice to defeat it.ā€

ā€œWe donā€™t want to!ā€

Okayā€¦on to Book 5ā€¦

14 Likes

Open book testā€¦ā€¦

5 Likes

Or like the show Friendsā€¦ Letā€™s be honest, they repeated the same basic stories every 3-4 years or so when they realized their audience had aged out but younger people were watching who probably didnā€™t see it the first time through.

2 Likes

My controversial hot take: Friends jumped the shark when they took the trip to London. I never believed Monica and Chandler as a couple. Then Joey and Rachel? Do me a favour. Hand twins? Seriously?

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe this thread has finally breached my ā€˜this is too controversialā€™ boundaries.

Dissing Friends???

Iā€™m outā€¦!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

The headlines in the UK:

And the Twitter response from one of our loudest right-wing commentators:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know why this needs tweeted. Over half the people I met in Asda earlier tonight already knew they didnā€™t need masks :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Was chatting with a physician friend of mine today about vaccines, boosters, and waning of efficacy. She mentioned how the Polio vaccine had started out as a single dose after having high efficacy in trials - but then efficacy started to wane. It took years of adjusting, but finally we ended up on the 4 series dose that we have today spread over many years of childhood.

So maybe we just havenā€™t figured out the right dosing schedule yet for these vaccines. Or maybe we need a gen2 vaccine, which Iā€™ve seen talked about.

8 Likes

Yeah, and whatā€™s the proper dosing schedule during the acute phase of a global pandemic wouldnā€™t be the same as the post-pandemic dosing schedule either. Assuming we can get to a post-pandemic stage. :roll_eyes:

Right now, weā€™re just trying to keep the house from burning down. Fire prevention will be an entirely different animal.

I get that every reputable health expert has their own ā€œtakeā€ on the best possible approach. But they are walking all over each other. They need to get a ā€œgood enoughā€ plan they can all majorly support and minorly armchair quarterback rather than vice versa. If we canā€™t get everyone pulling together, I donā€™t see how weā€™re going to get out of this cycle. (If itā€™s not Omni, it will just be a different variant. Itā€™s being giving too many opportunities to mutate.)

5 Likes

I want to see House of Gucci SO BAD. But, Iā€™m afraid of people. Boo. I might wait a few weeks and go to an unpopular timed showing, but I still would hate to see it through my mask fogged glasses. Boo.

Have you tried glasses defoggers? Iā€™ve found them to work decently.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been afraid to use anything on my glasses except the cleaner I got from the store b/c Iā€™ve had fancy lenses crack in the past from using dishwashing liquid to clean them. Thatā€™s what I used to do always, until I had a pair with lenses crack twice. I was told that with all the new things they put on them now (this was more than 5 yrs agoā€¦) that you have to use the special cleaner.

Have you tried the metal clips for the bridge of the nose that make it fit really snug? That made a huge difference for me. Depending on your mask type, they sell inserts or stick ons.

1 Like

Not much has changed, but this is a good summery:

TL;DR:
ā€œNone of this changes what you can to do right now: Ventilate spaces. Use masks. Test if you have symptoms. Isolate if positive. Get vaccinated. Get boosted.ā€

My understanding is it will take 1-2 weeks for lab tests to indicate theoretical neutralization capabilities of existing vaccines. This will basically be the Omi version of this (this was for Delta):

And this sums up any conclusions based on anecdotal stories about how severe this new variant may be compared to previous ones:

5 Likes

The 61/600 positives coming off planes in Belgium was a bit of a shocking number for me. Those are the kinds of numbers that will shut down schools and places of work just from the sheer impact of spread from a single person or two.

But also, it doesnā€™t change anything of what my family is doing already - tho Iā€™m still waiting short term on boosters/vaccines.

4 Likes

DH realized what a deep hole of conspiracy theories his bothers have fallen down yesterday. I think he is in shock of how different he is from them and doesnā€™t know how to manage it. I all a
Can say to him is we are doing what is right to keep us health and our parents healthy. If their actions cause his with his parents health, not sure how he would deal with it. Luckily I booked them for booster shots yesterday.

6 Likes

I can completely relate to your husband. DWā€™s family for the most part is taking this seriously and doing all the right things. Most of my side of the family has fallen into conspiracy theories, and itā€™s painful as weā€™ve had to avoid seeing them due to their choicesā€¦ Best we can all do is do what we believe is right, and do everything we can to keep those we love safe.

6 Likes

One thing to keep in mind about this: there have been numerous other varients that have sparked concern - Nu, Lambda, Gamma, for example. Those all fizzled out. Alpha and Delta did not.

Now, Omecron may be the next Delta, or it might fizzle out like Beta, Nu, and Lambda before it. Which itā€™s why it is worth being a little measured about the whole thing, until we know more.

7 Likes

Agreed about being a bit more measured. Someone on another forum has already jumped to ā€œWill they stop cruising again???ā€

A - If they didnā€™t stop during Delta, just altered some procedures, I doubt they will jump to ceasing operations again.

Mainly because B - I think if cruising shuts down again, that will be the end of that industry.

2 Likes