Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Ah… Yeah, if your area sold out Emma it might sell out House of Gucci…

1 Like

Thanks for the info, we will try to stick with jab #2 on December 4!

2 Likes

Sounds like Europe will require incoming travelers to have boosters starting in January. Anyone with travel planned make sure you’re keeping up.

3 Likes

Prob not the right place to ask, but my 10 yo got her 2nd shot on Friday and the needle didn’t go all the way in. It bled a lot too and now I am worried she didn’t get her full dose and it was the medicine coming out with blood. Is that possible?

2 Likes

Totally reasonable question! The needle does not need to go all the way in. And sometimes kiddos bleed quite a bit but the medicine gets in just fine! So happy you were able to get her vaccinated.

8 Likes

Missouri isn’t well known for vaccination or mask compliance.

Columbia Missouri public schools require masks indoors. University of Missouri Columbia is maskless. The community high school robotics club that meets in a MU building does require masks and urges vaccination.

Yeah, at this point we just control what we can personally control and influence who we can personally influence.

Best case scenario, this all blows over and maybe a few more people will be vaccinated/boosted for the winter Delta wave that is already rolling in places.

Worst case scenario…well, we’ll see what all the various governments do.

Much :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: needed.

3 Likes

Despite the UK government constantly promoting booster shots, my town (population: 75,000) has nowhere to get them. I even wrote to my MP (congressman) to complain. He raised the issue in parliament. Nothing changed.

Anyhoo, my hairdresser has kindly agreed to drive me to the nearest vaccination centre on Thursday. (I sold my car to pay for my Great North American Adventure.)

How long does the booster take to kick in? Couple of weeks?

4 Likes

I was told two weeks for it to be fully effective.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! So relieved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

UK just changed the gap between booster shots from 6 to 3 months.
What’s the gap USA are aiming for?

4 Likes

That’s dismal.

2 Likes

2 months for J&J, 6 months for Pfizer/Moderna.

Did we ever figure out what portion of the UK’s primary series were given AZ? And was there mixing and matching of doses? I wonder if that is the reason for the shorter window? And UK decided to pick one consistent point rather than be confusing?

ETA: Really glad to hear they are finally allowing 12-15s to get their second jab!

But how frustrating booking is being so difficult in the UK. In our area, booking is a couple days out at most, maybe a bit longer for 5-11s with the separate supply. And they are supposed to have made them as local as possible. Is that pretty consistent for those in the US? Or are rural areas having difficulty booking?

2 Likes

I live in an area chock full of anti-mask, anti-vax crazies. School has been a nightmare; far more than last year was.

Bleeping Omicron. I’m never going to get to go back to Disney. Or Universal - or anywhere. It never gets any less depressing or exhausting.

:frowning_face:

5 Likes

I don’t know the answer to that.

I believe the majority were given the same manufacturer for both first and second doses. Certainly the vax center that I went to had lines on the floor to follow depending on which one.

Seems like a reaction to omicron (?). Get everyone boosted sooner?

:rofl::rofl: Doubt it! That would require joined up thinking.
I’ve already had a friend ask if we need to wait for an announcement from Nicola about this. Some people won’t trust announcements from Westminster.

My area (Lothian) seems to have plenty availability.
I had tried to get a booster appt for my 6 month mark and it hasn’t been available yet, but after the announcement today I scheduled an appointment for next week.

3 Likes

FYI for any other UK liners…

I hadn’t realised that for the boosters that we wouldn’t get a blue envelope this time and that we have to seek out the booster appointments ourselves.

Just saying in case anyone else thought the same.

3 Likes

We weren’t very sure but the big vaccination centre in our town can’t be booked via the NHS website, it’s only for appointments sent out by our GPs. DH and I weren’t sure what to do so I booked for next Thursday at a chemist a few miles away via the website. He has waited because there’s nowhere else close that is accessible and I have to use my own holidays to take him, so he wants to do it local so I can do it in my lunchtime. I’ll get him to contact the team we spoke to last time and see if they can sort it out. Though I don’t know what a blue envelope is - we just get texts. I’m assuming it’s your appointment.

2 Likes

They really don’t make it clear or easy do they?? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Sorry, I thought the blue envelopes were UK wide, maybe they were just NHS Scotland.

OK, so disregard my earlier PSA because why would they make the process simple and the same for everyone?? :see_no_evil::roll_eyes::see_no_evil::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well he hasn’t heard from the GP and we can get it from Friday so you have persuaded me into taking action!

3 Likes

After reading all that, I think I’m landing back here. :laughing:

In the US, they are supposed to be making it as easy as possible, and around here it’s been pretty easy to get in within a few days of anything being authorized since April, but I’m not sure how much of that is my being in a major metro area.

3 Likes