Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

True, “normal” is somewhat individual. But, too, where I live everyone must mask indoors no matter what. So, there’s stuff like that.

2 Likes

Yes. You have to follow instructions.

Unsafe Kool-Aid. Very on-brand for the 2020’s. :roll_eyes:. Mark your bingo cards.

1 Like

So…as far as “reading the room”, I sense most of y’all are over this virus and moving on. Cheers! Carry on! Best of luck to you! Pixie dust and all the things!

For those that aren’t quite there yet…I just can’t not tell y’all…

FWIW, I’ve drank most of a 1.5L bottle of wine tonight. (My normal limit is ONE large-ish glass, at most.). Yeah, it’s that bad…

Exhibit 1: Eric Topol (editor at Scripps)…

October 4th:

Now:
What do you think? Is this author freaking out? (I think this author is freaking out.). Oh, look, it’s the same Eric Topol…,

Exhibit #2:
Maybe I misunderstood? Andy Slavitt’s latest podcast. I need to listen to it again to make sure I’m not misunderstanding. It sounds like him and his guest were floating that the current state of affairs is what to expect for the foreseeable future as a baseline. Like, 200-250k deaths from Covid annually? That’s AFTER accounting for the new anti-virals. Depending on the validity of “squeeze-out” theory”, I’m not sure if this in place of (or in addition to ) the usual 20-50k influenza deaths)…

Exhibit #3:
I literally have no the f*** idea who this is, but they are followed by outrageously cred-heavy people (ie, Hortez) I follow.

Look, you lurkers, I might get banned over this post. Whatever. I don’t even care. If you or your loved are unvaccinated, go. Now. Book it. And y’all, get boosted. F*** the FDA guidelines. There are now several states (8?) that are promoting boosters in advance of FDA guidance. If you are 2+ months from one-shot of J&J or 6+ months of Pfizer/Moderna, go get the booster. Make sure everyone you care about us as protected as possible.

What’s the actual hell!?! Why weren’t these people boosted???

Honestly, none of us individually has the ability to control what happens from a public health perspective. That’s a much higher pay grade than a bunch of Disney fanatics. But you *can infiluekve your loved ones.

10 Likes

I’m super impressed that you can still put together a coherent post after so much wine!!
I’m sorry if it’s the state of things that’s been the reason for having more than usual :yellow_heart:

Boosters are on their way here. It was announced yesterday that they’re now offering boosters to over 40s. I can’t see the UK going for vaccines for under 12s though. Winter might change that, but I’m doubtful. If that’s the case, then I don’t see an end to my personal withdrawal from society until DS ages up in a couple of years. The problem is that I’m starting to find that the mental health issues from withdrawal are getting almost as bad as the thought of getting/spreading covid. A couple of nights ago I woke up crying in real life after dreaming that an old work colleague had hugged me! I’m teetering on the edge of something, I just don’t know what :see_no_evil:

Anyway, I hope your head is well today. Drink ALL the water!! :laughing:

8 Likes

I’ll be eligible for my booster in about 3 weeks and will be straight there to get it, with DH in tow.

6 Likes

Aw I’m sorry. I don’t know anything helpful to suggest but I’m sending virtual hugs.

5 Likes

You know gin, right? :wink::rofl::rofl:

I’m fine. Mostly :+1:t2:

5 Likes

I definitely know gin but it’s a temporary solution!

2 Likes

I’m sorry! It is truly strange times which seems ridiculous this far into the pandemic. I was thinking of you and bingo the other day…did anyone have “tornados in Rhode Island? Sending hugs!

3 Likes

Getting my booster on Saturday, and DS7 gets his first shot tomorrow!

4 Likes

Hugs! At times it is so hard to escape it all, even while sleeping.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I’m not sure that I have all that much influence over my extended family. My sister’s family (unvaccinated) recently got covid and I’m afraid my sister is falling into long Covid with her lack of taste and smell. My vaccinated mother isn’t getting a booster and doesn’t agree with me on getting DS9 vaccinated, but is admitting she is not his mother. The lines seem to have been drawn by the information people are taking in by what they are watching on TV or reading online.

DH and I got our boosters on Saturday.

My family will be as fully vaccinated as we can get once DS9 gets his second vaccine.

I’m truly sorry you think we think this is all over. (And maybe there are people who think it is.) However, for our mental health’s sake, we are moving forward, doing the best we can.

8 Likes

So I had this happen to me irl yesterday. Honestly, after all this time, it was terrifying. I have seen and on occasion hugged friends that I know their daily habits etc, but I hadn’t seen this person in years and was legitimately freaked tf out when they went in for the hug. I don’t think the mental effects of this are going away anytime soon.

6 Likes

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry.
I can understand you being freaked out. Completely understandable.
I hope nothing was passed :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

The rates in this area are actually pretty low and considering all the precautions in place (we’re both vaccinated and we’re masked) I’m sure it was fine. It’s really the mental of it all that I think is going to take forever to return to some form or normalcy

6 Likes

Yea, there’s a part of our family that we have no influence over, either. The part we do get vaccinated/boosted ASAP. The other (aunt, uncle, cousin) are mad because we won’t see them indoors (traditionally the family holidays are always at my house) . . . they think we are “punishing them for their beliefs.” I think that they are willing to risk my son’s life for politics. Stalemate. It’s awful and sad but I don’t know an answer.

7 Likes

Looks like you may need to watch how this juggler expertly redirects hugs :wink: (I hope this link works - I’ve never tried a youtube link on here before.)

5 Likes

I am no lawyer, so huge grain of salt here. If a child with greater risk factors has a school where safety measures are not in place, it doesn’t seem like they have equal access as a child who has low risk factors. The risks to the at-risk child’s health may be too high for them to attend a school without safety measures in place, infringing on their right to a free and appropriate public education.

But in the US the law says that accommodations are necessary and not too expensive. You have every right to your own opinions and feelings, of course, but to say that “certainly accommodations are too expensive,” as if it’s an indisputable fact, seems off given that the law says the opposite thing.

I think you mean neurodiverse kids? Again, per the law (in this case IDEA), public schools are required to provide all special needs students with an education in the least restrictive environment. That’s because it’s thought to be in the best interest of the child. I wouldn’t make such a controversial statement without some really strong data to back that up. The data I’ve seen strongly supports putting children in integrated classrooms when possible.

1 Like

Here’s my anthropological take:

My feelings on Covid, and the feelings of almost everyone, are complicated. Even people who are in complete denial are inwardly “taking Covid seriously,” whether they are conscious of it or not. Their denial is a coping mechanism. We are all humans, programmed with genetics, memetics, social cues, tribal instincts, and political affiliations that influence (the cynic in me would say “dictate”) our response to conditions around us.

Whether we individually or collectively want to admit it or not, millions of people have died and will die from Covid.

Some people will react to that with terror and isolate themselves from society. Others will be in complete denial, which might make them more susceptible to conspiracy theories about vaccines and the origins of the virus (or even believe it’s a hoax). Others do what is in their power, but otherwise mentally move forward and try to block out what they can’t control. And there are infinite gradations in between. I don’t think anyone of these groups is heartless or uncaring. I firmly believe most people are doing the best they can. Some have just been corrupted by a bug in the system that is our society, our species, and our human nature.

None of this excuses us from trying our best to influence the powers that be to implement sound policy, and to support our leaders when they do the right thing, even when it’s hard or unpopular. But the reality is that it will be difficult and not everyone will be up for fighting the good fight forever. Low morale and despondency are just another side effect of the pandemic that we and our leaders have to figure out how to address.

Personally, I’m mostly in the “do what’s in my power, but move forward” group. I and my family are vaccinated. My wife and I have had our boosters. We wear masks where required and even elect to wear them in high risk areas where not required. Every few weeks, I will post something on Facebook encouraging my ~1000 friends to get vaccinated (often to a hostile response by 2 or 3 trolls, ignored by most, supported by others). I share articles about the benefits of vaccination with my family and on other social media platforms. I support vaccine mandates because I think it’s worth doing to save lives.

But I also try not to let the thousands of deaths, the lack of unity, and the possibility of future threats detract me from living the life I can now. Those things are largely out of my control. If I don’t move forward now, it’s not clear when I would ever be able to reclaim my optimism.

I’m lucky that my family is pro-vaccination. There are some relatives who are anti-vax or vaccine hesitant, but all my closest family members have gotten the vaccine. That layer of protection has helped me feel more comfortable about gathering as a family. I’m also lucky that most of my colleagues are vaccinated, and that those who don’t feel comfortable coming to work or are immunocompromised can choose to work remotely.

I hope that a flippant comment I or someone else makes on this forum doesn’t define the full context of our feelings on this global catastrophe that we are all coping with in our own way.

21 Likes