Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Wow that’s great to hear!

2 Likes

My twin DGK (7) got their first yesterday, too - they both were nervous but said it was easier than they expected. (DGD said “That’s it?” after her shot.) A little moody today but otherwise no side effects yet.

I’m getting my booster next week. MN is pretty bad right now (though outstate far more than the area I live in) so I will be relieved when everyone in my crew is as protected as possible!

6 Likes

Sadly, this is a perfect way of describing fall 2019.

5 Likes

Odd question for you Covid experts here:

Has anyone had a delayed (7-10 day out) Hive reaction from moderna?

I broke out in hives last night. Also my wrist is very swollen but it could be related to my workout yesterday. I’m trying to pinpoint the hive situation as I don’t really eat new foods and it doesn’t seem that anything else has changed in my daily routine.
I received my moderna booster almost 2 weeks ago and had the general flu like symptoms as I did with my second shot. I can’t seem to find much online except for an immediate allergic reaction. I’m just wondering if there have been any reports of it.

I’m willing to bet it’s more of an environmental factor that caused the hives, but I haven’t had them since I was a kid and it seems weird.
I legit can’t stop itching and I’m counting the minutes till DD7 goes to bed so I can take Benadryl and pass out!!

DS9 only had a sore arm. No other side effects.

3 Likes

I’ve heard of a rash showing up at the injection site a couple of weeks later, but not hives.

First I want to thank @JJT for sharing the article, which I found to be thoughtful, personal information about one person’s way forward. We’re all going to read it from our personal - and usually here, thoughtful points of view. That we notice this or that about the article might not actually be the intent of that person’s way forward.

I live with an at risk person. At no time ever, and certainly not since March of 2020, to put a date on it, have I felt our family member’s safety was any one else’s responsibility. I would not ask anyone else to assume that role.

ADA compliant facilities meant to ensure greater ease of access are not the same as adopting certain protocols to prevent harm to others.

Tho my feeling that public places have to be essentially for the bulk of the bell curve may not be shared by everyone, certainly the economics of accommodating more folk outside the bulk makes that accommodation too expensive.

One specific example not disease related is neural diverse kids. While public schools will try to support their needs, in my experience, their personnel wind up being spread too thin. Better outcomes for this more narrow population can be found in specialization. Your mileage may vary.

I think I’m in agreement, essentially, with @Alewis678. Based on my mileage, I’m more content with the bulk of our local population following their comfort levels regarding their personal safety. We can and have protected our own.

4 Likes

This caught me by surprise a couple of weeks ago (hmm maybe a month ago!) when a favorite TN karate tournament was canceled due to covid.

Apparently while we were going down in numbers, y’all were going up. A month or so ago University of Missouri Columbia rescinded their mask requirement. Numbers of sick students didn’t skyrocket. :crossed_fingers:

A little later another tournament in a neighboring state cancelled as well.

Hoping for continued increase in vaccinations.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m surprised any recent event in TN was canceled.
Our case rate has been decreasing where I am. But I’m afraid that is just because we are between peaks at the moment.

1 Like

Great article on how vaccines do, in fact, reduce transmission.

5 Likes

In 2019, when this tournament was last held, it was in Franklin, at a high school. This summer it was announced to be in October as it had always been scheduled. I didn’t notice if the venue was still the school. Most tournaments in MO and AR have been in event centers, rather than high schools, since starting back up.

Here in rural Missouri, we’re experiencing vastly differing situations than say St Louis. Schools are traveling to band, sports and academic competitions with overnight stays.

They are too so it’s weird the tournament was canceled. Although Franklin is in Williamson County which got some bad national press a few months back when some healthcare workers were harassed at a school board meeting regarding masks. So maybe they don’t want to make the news again by sponsoring a big event.

1 Like

Hopefully @BoilerMomPharmD pops in and can comment.

Probably worth a call to your doctor’s on call just to make sure they don’t want you to get it checked out sooner rather than later.

Make sure to sign up for vsafe if you haven’t and note it’s there too, just so if there is a pattern to help them flag it.
https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/

1 Like

Is it in the arm where you got the injection? Apparently “Covid arm” is a thing and can be delayed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-03/some-experience-delayed-rashes-after-moderna-shots-report-says

No my arm is probably the only thing not covered in hives at the moment.
Hands, feet, trunk. My feet are so swollen and achy I can’t even walk. Antihistamines are helping but all I have is kids dosage at the moment. Hoping for a better day tomorrow .

I’ll sign up for v safe but I really don’t this this could be from the booster. Unless it was possibly reformulated?

1 Like

I got Pfizer, but FWIW after my first dose I had slight hives on my torso and swollen lymph nodes after about 4 or 5 days.

Mine were nothing too terrible and went away day or two later. Hope yours go quickly!

3 Likes

No, not that I’ve seen. Not for Moderna.

The Pfizer formula was tweaked at the same time 5-11 was approved to make it easier for pediatric offices to store.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-emergency-use-children-5-through-11-years-age

I keep thinking of your post. People are so different. I still wouldn’t feel safe doing many of those things, such as indoor church or indoor dining, mostly b/c DD9 could only just now be vaccinated. However, I think the pandemic has also shown me that I’m more of a loner than I thought I was, b/c I love having an excuse to stay inside (but I don’t love having to do it 24/7…). We haven’t taken our masks off at all, although with it being the law here in Maryland we don’t have much of a choice, indoors. I’m hoping that now that my DD9 has been vaccinated we’ll feel more free. I really want to enroll her in the ballet again. And I’ve only been to the mall one time since Feb 2020.

3 Likes

I really hope you feel better soon. That sound pretty miserable. It reminds me of reactions I’ve seen, in people I know, (I’m not a medical person) to medicines.

This may be one of the larger pieces - I love and need people. And out of the 8 in my family, only one leans toward being introverted. We’d started gathering unmasked, etc. with other family members 4/14/20 (Easter) and started hanging out with friends mid-May 2020. We are just super connected and the loss of connection was agonizing.

I hope you can start ballet again, soon! :ballet_shoes:

ETA: I’ve been thinking about this since I responded a few hours ago. I really wonder to what degree the return to “normal” is based on the individual more than anything else. :smiley:

3 Likes