Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Two things on this - 1) people who are reinfected or vaccinated but infected are less likely to need hospitalization; and 2) in Florida, a LOT of the infections have been since Delta, so a significant portion of the immunity in the population is Delta.

I do think there is a weather / seasonality element that hasn’t quite been figured out. The best guesses I’ve seen from epidemiologists is that when people in a region spend more time outdoors vs. indoors (i.e., summer in the Northeast, winter in Arizona) there is less spread.

2 Likes

Yes this is true.

1 Like

Yeah that is true. I bet it’s more of the slow burn as @Jeff_AZ said. Plus you guys were under considerably more strict quarantine rules than we were. You’ve all only been “free” since June or July right? This is all so complicated and confusing.

2 Likes

Yes mid July.

1 Like

From that graph you shared it seems they were on the rise even before July so I bet it’s all a combo of free reign along with the more contagious variant and it just created kinda the worst case scenario. Stinks.

3 Likes

It really does.

3 Likes

Scary! But so glad your dad got to be at the beach and do something he loved and hadn’t done in so long! Those moments are priceless.

3 Likes

Our kids under 18 are also getting vaccinated with 2 doses of either Pfizer or Moderna, rather than just 1. That may also contribute to the difference.

1 Like

Not significantly I don’t think. Under 18s are pretty much staying out of hospital. Of course, there could be a knock on effect if they are infecting more vulnerable groups.

Do you have seroprevalence studies to know what percent of your population has already been infected? Last I heard, in the US the estimate is only 20-25% of the cases to date have been identified.

Not exactly. They believe 94% of adults (over 16s) have covid antibodies but that includes from vaccines.

1 Like

Thanks for thinking of him! No side effects…no surprise he didn’t have any with the first 2 either. Should have a plan in a few days…fingers crossed! Luckily he is mostly careful. My question is if he ends up covid+ will they give him the monoclonal antibodies? If we get any answers I’ll post them.

4 Likes

It really was one of those days that I will treasure forever. He was like a little kid.

3 Likes

Here are the criteria one of our local hospitals posted, but I think it’s pretty standard. (I’m sure it’s on CDC or FDA somewhere…) If he tests positive, inquire ASAP because it has to happen before it progresses too far.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s what I was thinking but he needs to hear it from someone other than me…he thinks I worry too much😂

1 Like

IF you have to show proof of vaccination, do you need to show your card? I am wondering about entering entertainment venues and/or restaurants. Can you open your medical app that shows your card, or a picture? Do you need your physical card with you?

1 Like

We had to show our CDC vaccination card in Hawaii to enter certain places.

1 Like

We didn’t get CDC vaccination cards from the medical provider who did our vaccines - since there were so many security issues as people were posting them of facebook.
Anyway, now I’m supposed to prove I’ve been vaccinated, for work, and the tool they’re using doesn’t recognize the immunization record from my provider. So… yay. I suspect there are going to be a lot of issues around proof of vaccine, for a while.
@vcka - were places in Hawaii also accepting digital verification? I know NY has some kind of passport thing…

1 Like

I wonder if you can go back to them and ask for cards now?

I’ve heard that others have successfully gotten empty CDC cards and filled them out on their own. That feels… icky… to me.

2 Likes