Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Yeah, they’re really amazing. I was so thankful we were with this pediatrician and he was affiliated with them when DS11.1 came down with Kawasaki when he was 3. He wasn’t presenting the most obvious symptoms, and they still sorted it within 72 hours.

There is no test for it - if the patient responds immediately to the immunoglobulin treatment, they treat that as confirmation of the suspected diagnosis. If not treated within 10 days, risk of significant heart damage increases dramatically, so if we’d been with someone that didn’t figure it out so quickly, his 100% recovery could have been different.

(He came down with mild symptoms on Sat so we didn’t take him in until Monday, so we’d unknowingly already burned 2 days.)

7 Likes

Took me a while, but I finally found it.

8 Likes

We have CHOP in Philadelphia. Ds needed surgery at 3yo and the head of Urology was his surgeon. They always say get a second opinion but when I looked around for somewhere else to take him, the surgeon we already had was the one everyone went to for their second opinion! He also hosted other surgeons to teach them which also made us feel really good about having him do the surgery!

During ds’ surgery, the nurse in the waiting area called us over to an office w/ a phone to speak to the doctor in the operating room …we were all surprised when he walked into the room to sit down, discuss with us what he found as well as both options he could move forward with and had us make the decision. He then went back to the operating room, scrubbed back in, and continued w/ the procedure.

Having first rate care for your kids is really a priceless gift and I am eternally grateful for the resources we have available to us. :heart:

10 Likes

DS9 sees GI at CHOP (but in Lancaster so we don’t have to drive as far). We have had great experiences when dealing with his reflux/constipation issues. They seem to really listen instead of making assumptions.

5 Likes

@Minnie27mouse They’re coming after that #2 spot! :wink:

6 Likes

Well my Dad got his booster shot today so happiness and relief over here! No plan for following to see if he gets a decent result from it but meets with his oncologist this week to make one. Thanks to all for talking it through with me. They did repeat Pfizer.
And on a lighter note he had a non Covid near death experience yesterday! he and my mom decided to brave the waves at the beach (he’s 6”2 200lbs with little mobility/stability, my mom is 5” maybe 100lbs) and somehow I got to the beach and in the water to join them just as a wave knocked him over! Right on his bum! They were in deep enough that sitting it was over his head. Thankfully able to get him up but no lifeguards and all older folks at the beach (having the time of their lives😎)he easily could have drowned in the surf which is absolutely how he would prefer to go out of this life. Do you think he got out?! Nope we spent probably another half hour getting pummeled by the surf…happiest day of his life in a long time! It’s been at least 3 years since he’s been in the ocean but it was one of those picture perfect end of summer days! He’s still laughing about it!

10 Likes

Sorry 13 years since he’s been in the ocean

CHOP is just awesome. The main campus in Philadelphia is about a 90 minute drive from my house. When DD12 was only 4, we had two local hospitals struggle to diagnose her belly pain. One hospital told us it was her appendix and that they could remove it there, they did it “plenty of time for people who can’t afford to go across the bridge” meaning into Philadelphia. Well, luckily enough for us, we could afford to go, so we did. One ambulance ride later and she was taken through testing and into surgery within 7 hours, at 4:30 AM. Turns out her ovary had flipped over her fallopian tube and fused onto the appendix, and the tissue was dying. Must have been so painful. So grateful that we went to CHOP, as they were so careful with her and it was the head of surgery that performed her surgery.

6 Likes

My DD12 is vaxxed, couldn’t wait to get it done, and was happy as a lark when she got it. Then again, when Covid hit our house in February, she was the hardest hit. She still keeps a distance from others when possible. DS10 is afraid of needles but has recently started asking when he can get the vaccine, which is really amazing to me.

It’s been a struggle at our schools. I work in the district where my kids attend. We were really together last year. This year, we…aren’t. I’ve been frustrated by a few things, but yesterday really threw me. I was in line to pick up DS10, and I got a text from a friend further up in line that she had received a call that our kids’ entire classroom was quarantined for two weeks. My mind started racing, trying to figure out who was going to be with DS10 at home while his dad and I tried to work. DH’s mom and my parents are not young, and I hate exposing any of them. Well, I didn’t get my phone call about the quarantine until I was already home…and they told me I needed to come pick up DS10 as he couldn’t ride the bus. DS10 was home with me already, and doesn’t ride the bus. ::woman_facepalming: I love where I work but this was not a good look.

So then today I get a phone call from the school nurse that his quarantine is cancelled! Turns out they didn’t have all of the information about seating charts so DS10 wasn’t close enough to the positive case. Of course, DS10 had already told me this. Unfortunately, one of DS10’s friends sat next to the boy before he left school, so she’s out for two weeks still.

I have a permanent headache and it’s only the 6th day of school.

9 Likes

One of the very few places with a real bowel management program (they call it a “bootcamp”), which are mostly focused on spina bifida. Our DS5 shares certain aspects of that condition and literature we got from CHOP via a spina bifida Facebook group really saved our lives. I’m not exaggerating. The best GI doctors in the DFW area weren’t helpful at all compared to that Facebook group. Social media can be a good thing. This thread and its predecessors are another example in my opinion. In fact, I love all you Liners this entire forum is a good thing, :kissing_heart:!

14 Likes

I’m not sure this article really says anything new, but it does a good job of articulating where things are at and validating the concerns.

3 Likes

I was thinking about your dad this morning. Is he having any side effects that might show his immune system is responding?

2 Likes

For those watching, hospitalizations in Florida have continued to fall, now about 35-40% off the peak. I included the other top 4 most populous states for reference. All of them seem to be bending back down or nearing their peak (NY).

If vaccinations are approved for children ~5-12 soon, I’m optimistic that the very worst of this pandemic is behind us.

8 Likes

I don’t get it. Here’s ours for the last 6 months. Still climbing.

2 Likes

I don’t want to ruffle any feathers with this comment, but could it be partly bc of the AZ vaccine? I wonder what percentage received it vs the mRNA vaccines administered here. It’s just my guess that could bc a part of it because the UK is much farther ahead in vaccination rate vs the US.

1 Like

One possible explanation is that almost everyone in Florida has either gotten Covid or been vaccinated or both. So there’s no one left to infect. A state / country with higher vaccination rate or more interventions would have a slower burn so it may not peak as quickly.

2 Likes

I would hope that it will peak within the next couple of weeks. Scotland seem to have peaked (:partying_face::partying_face:) and I think you’re just a couple of weeks behind us :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

Sorry I seem to have cut off the bottom axis. I know we’re comparing hospitalisations to cases, but I can’t ignore the light at the end of the tunnel!!

3 Likes

I honestly don’t know. I do know that there have been something like 30k deaths since Delta was first identified and only ~500 of those were in fully vaccinated people. Those figures were released a few days ago so slightly out of date now. So I’d assume more unvaccinated people are in hospital than vaccinated too.

3 Likes

Yes that’s possible. We know Delta can reinfect people and infect people who are double vaccinated though so does it really make sense? Maybe the hotter weather is playing a part too?

2 Likes

I hope so!

2 Likes