Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

We use the same company and I have heard the same complaints. DS10 is the youngest of 4 boys, so we already had a fair supply of shirts and ties. Pants were the issue. DW purchased similar ones (we have done this in the past with no issues) and the principal did announce that it was fine as long as they were similar color. If it were me, I would just do it and see if they complain. And if they do, I would give them grief.

2 Likes

Iā€™d try two things. First - is there any kind of Facebook page or general parent forum? Ask if anyone has pants they no longer need in his size that you can buy or borrow. A lot of that is happening at my school right now.

Second - contact the school directly (we have campus coordinators for these kinds of questions) and explain the situation. You are not alone. They should either A) give you permission to wear similar pants or B) hook you up with network of parents who can help.

We are having the exact same issues at our campus and everyone is really coming together to cloth the kids (and some kids are just showing up in similar styles and colors until their uniforms come in, but mostly they have all been covered by used and borrowed uniforms.

4 Likes

My 14 year old wanted to be vaccinated and did so the first week she could. I donā€™t think I would have pushed her to jump I right away. Itā€™s hard to weigh the personal risk vs reward on kids, I think. The reward to the population as a whole is clear, tho.

8 Likes

My kids private school has a ā€œuniform closetā€ with used shirts, pants, etc. That where we usually send the stuff the kids out grow that wasnā€™t badly stained. There also tend to be parents who try to sell the stuff on Facebook.

2 Likes

Iā€™m just completely shocked they are taking 0 action against covid. They made the national morning news show today. No masks, no quarantine, and no contact tracing. They say no masks bc itā€™s the parentā€™s choice, but if I was a parent Iā€™d want the choice to quarantine if my kid was a close contact of a positive case, but now parentā€™s donā€™t even have that choice because they will never even know. Covid isnā€™t over unless your child is a student in union county schools I guess.

4 Likes

Parents can still claim a religious exemption due to our state law but thatā€™s true for all the vaccines.

2 Likes

Covid is very much not over here but parents were sick of their kids being sent home to quarantine every 5 minutes. Masks have never been worn in primary schools. For a while they were required in secondary schools, but not for ages. The reasoning is apparently that for all the thousands of kids isolating every day as a close contact in school, there were only one or two cases where one of those kids eventually tested positive. Many schools didnā€™t have a single case where a quarantined kid actually had covid.

1 Like

Yeah I think the UK quarantine rules have been much stricter than here. Itā€™s just scary to me in a county with barely 50% vaccinated, over 25% cases in school aged children, and % positive cases over 16% that they just stopped everything. There were other options to limit who quarantines and for how long, but instead they just said nope weā€™re done. Iā€™m disappointed.

4 Likes

My kids are under 12, but we will get them vaccinated when eligible.

My brother brought my 14 y/o nephew (who had Covid in December 2020) in to be vaccinated the day he was first eligible, and my 12 year old nephew was vaccinated the same day he returned from a camp retreat (he turned 12 during the retreat).

My brotherā€™s words: Iā€™m not fā€™in around with this virus.

7 Likes

DD13 got vaccinated as soon as she was eligible. We left it up to her, but we already knew what her decision would be, so virtue never tested and all that.

I think DS11 will get vaccinated as soon as he can too. He knows he slightly higher risk because of his allergy-related asthma.

7 Likes

My older is 10 but in a building with over 12s. I donā€™t know the stats but given the culture where we live I would assume most of the over 12s are vaxxed. I have several nieces and nephews in the 12-18 bracket and they all got them as soon as they could. (They are all around the country.) My under 12s feel the same.

Regarding the why, I think the trust (among this political demographic) in the safety is pretty high and all the lids just want as much normalcy as possible, like they see adults having. They are ā€œallowedā€ to do the same stuff pretty much but as a practical matter a lot of families are waiting until the vaccine to say yes to everything.

6 Likes

I will add as one example that my brother whose kids are in this age bracket said he would not want to fly with them if they werenā€™t vaxxed. I have flown with my unvaxxed kids but only for pretty necessary stuff. Weā€™ll do the funner stufff once theyā€™re vaxxed.

Obviously other people find the cost/benefit of an unvaxxed flight more worth it (we have a lot we can drive to). So obviously a personal decision but I think as a family we are all looking forward to being as equally protected as possible. We will feel we can reasonably do more and actually enjoy it.

4 Likes

I understand that. I feel a lot better about DS going back to college now heā€™s vaccinated (only one dose allowed for under 18s but it still helps!).

3 Likes

No

My kids are 12 & 14 and they have not been vaccinated. Both my husband & I have been fully vaccinated since mid June. We both experienced some rare side effects. I experienced a metal taste in my mouth, my joints (in the arm I had the shot) was soreā€¦ like I slept on it and my monthly cycle was all screwed up. My husband had the typical side effects but the one that was worrisome was that he temporarily lost hearing in one ear.

I have spoke with the pediatrician in depth about the side effects of the vaccine & also getting covid in regards to the kids. This is not an easy decision for my husband & I. I have been thinking of the kids just getting one shot and waiting a longer period of time before getting the second shotā€¦ but Iā€™m not there yet.

5 Likes

FYI the UK will only be offering 12-15s a single dose of Pfizer.

2 Likes

My granddaughter turned 12 in April. Spoke with her pediatrician soon after knowing that the vaccine would be available to her. He suggested we discuss it at her annual checkup in June.

In June he suggested after our discussion to wait it out some more. That if he felt that anything changed he would start to offer the vaccine at his office and would contact us then.

She has been in person full time in school since last September. She has not been a part of any quarantines (knock on wood) but we do have a mask mandate through the end of September which will probably get extended.

3 Likes

Absolutely. but my youngest is 17, so maybe that isnā€™t the same. He plays sports (no masks at football), hangs out with friends, and lives a mostly normal existence these days. The vaccine allows that to happen, I have no worries. I would vaccinate younger kids too, if I had them.

6 Likes

Mine are 12 and 15. They had their first shot within days to it being available. Their Ped recommend it the day before at the oldest well child checkup. We already had it scheduled.

6 Likes

DS16 got vaxxed as soon as he was eligible in April. When I took him to his annual physical when he turned 17 in July, I asked our pediatrician a bunch of questions regarding our DS11 twins.

Our pediatrician is part of the Texas Childrenā€™s Hospital organization, so he has had access to all of their internal reporting for all of their experiences with adverse reactions, in addition to all the professional literature. TCH is among the top hospitals in the US for pediatric cardiology.

How they ranked nationwide by specialty:

One of the questions I asked him is if I should have any hesitation about the risks/benefits of getting them vaxxed as soon as they turn 12.

He said that there is a statistical risk of myocarditis but those cases post-vaccination are treatable and resolve quickly.

On the other hand, while he hadnā€™t personally had any patients with it, the other main pediatrician in his office has several kids who got myocarditis in conjunction with Covid who are not having it resolve quickly. Months later, they still havenā€™t been cleared to return to athletics.

He said if his kids were that age (they are older), he absolutely would not hesitate to get them vaxxed. The benefits at the individual level statistically outweigh the risks, and the risks are almost all very temporary and mild. (And thatā€™s without even bringing the community health benefits into it.)

The CDC updated their related guidance Sept 8:

11 Likes

#2 in neurosurgery. That is why we went there for DS5ā€™s cancer surgery. Noone in the DFW area had ever done the surgery before. Even at TCH, the surgeon had only done it once. :grimacing: Fortunately for us that was just 6 months before our surgery, so yay for ā€œpracticeā€ (but nay for that unfortunate child, although I know they are healthy, so no guilt here).

10 Likes