Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Yes, it is completely nuts. By the way, my brother has type O blood and happens to be white (which was also his argument - whiteness means immunity?) and he contracted COVID at the very beginning of the pandemic.

5 Likes

I totally get your point, but I’d have to say that cumulatively yes those that are not masking/vaccinating are causing harm to others. Simply put, could you be harmed by wearing a mask? The answer is no for the vast majority of humans. Could you be harmed and in turn harm others by not wearing it? Yes and that is happening and we have proof of that. Same logic for vaccines. In my eyes I don’t see how there is any argument to not get vaccinated and/or wear a mask except for those very few exceptional people.

9 Likes

These are the same type of folks that think animal deworming medication ivermectin will cure Covid.

3 Likes

Oh oh oh I bet this is why my PCR was negative

14 Likes

So would that logic extend, for example, to driving while intoxicated?

That may sound extreme, but hear me out. I was active in SADD back in the 80’s, when people were still actively fighting blood alcohol content restrictions. This was their logic:

People can be good or bad drivers with any amount of alcohol in their blood. If I can have a high BAC and you are unable to actually document that I am driving recklessly, you have no basis to find me guilty of anything.

So using your logic, people who habitually drive under the influence should not have their licenses taken away until after they actually injure someone?

We also have an issue here in Texas with a tradition of people firing off guns into the air at midnight on New Years. They do not intend to hurt anyone. And yet they do.

Recklessness behavior does not require intent.

If people cannot curtail their own reckless behavior that significantly endangers others, than someone else needs to make that call for them.

12 Likes

You posted on the wrong thread…you meant to post that to this one?

:joy:

8 Likes

Is this your photo or did you steal it? This is perfect! :joy:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@LTinNC82
Me and most of my family members that can get vaccinated are #teammoderna too. My 2 nephews and niece that are 12-18 all got Pfizer and so did my SIL (the mother of the 2 nephews as she was getting her vaccine at the same time as her 17 yr old son).

Here if you did the giant drive-thru site at a stadium parking lot it was all Moderna, if you went into the 2 walk-in sites at expo centers, it was Pfizer.

3 Likes

This is where I am sitting right now at home. I ordered two of these off Etsy. Sent one to DS in the Army, he uses it at work :laughing: As he yells at his soligers, “Put your Fucking masks on!” Yes they speak that way in the Army.

6 Likes

No. That’s an active move to drink and drive, not a passive move of just going about your day without a mask. Same with firing guns.

ETA: Thanks for being part of SADD. I have a family member with 5 DUI’s and has served time over it and I’m glad he didn’t kill anyone. He easily could have. But I don’t look at covid the same way.

1 Like

I appreciate the back and forth here because I think it’s interesting and worthwhile to flesh out these disagreements.

I’m leaning toward @amvanhoose_701479 on this one. I don’t think masks should always be required. There is a risk level that is low enough where we should tolerate enough to go back to our daily lives, even if some people might die. Unfortunately that’s how real life works. But when the risk is high enough, like it is right now with Delta spreading uncontrollably, I think there is a legitimate public interest in requiring masks. (I’m sorta glad my area doesn’t require them, but I would support them if instituted.)

This is a little different than drunk driving. In a pandemic, it’s akin to alcohol vapor being spread in the air, so everyone will be driving drunk unless they protected themselves from inhaling the spiked oxygen. If that happened somehow, I think the government (i.e., the people) would be within their rights to require people to wear an anti-alcohol mask.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s part of the issue, right? The “drunk drivers” (infected) in many cases don’t have a clue they’re driving drunk!

4 Likes

That’s a better comparison. And yes, I agree sometimes drastic measures are needed. I just have a higher threshold than most to want to prevent people’s bad choices by mandate.

2 Likes

Publix grocery store and college my wife works at are Moderna. All except my six-year old are vaccinated and we also all had covid in March of 2020.

I am a bit bullish about the pandemic now. Seems there has been an appreciable uptick in vaccinations recently…just heed to build a wall between us and Florida😳

Okay, bad joke…couldn’t resist😁

8 Likes

I believe Louisiana is worse than FL right now, according to a report I heard yesterday. I’d just stay out of the south right now.

3 Likes

Interesting thread with visualization of what spread of Delta looks like compared to the original virus:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kmpanthagani/status/1420985595489394688?s=21

5 Likes

As YLE says, “The South is burning.” (not to make light of those areas of the country with the literal fires, though…these layered disasters are all just a little much…)

4 Likes

I appreciate the open floor to have the discussion. And really appreciate everyone, especially @amvanhoose_701479, challenging me to look at things in different ways and explain myself better. I’m just obnoxious and combative by nature to a point and don’t mind an argument, but you guys are all friends and I respect all these discussions we’re able to have here.

18 Likes

It’s been really helpful for me as well. Frankly, some of the arguments I see against masking and vaccinations on the interwebs are just incomprensible to me. Finding someone who can articulate a more rationale approach to some of the concerns helps me understand a lot better.

12 Likes