Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Fortunately our SD just sent a letter yesterday saying that masks will be required for everyone K-12. I think until the numbers sharply decline and/or vaccines are approved for 11 and under, this is the best solution.

7 Likes

Great minds think alike – We’re supposed to start with a couple of nights at Uni, but I’ve decided that’s definitely out because reports are that few folks are following precautions there. We’re booked for 2 rooms at Pop to start the Disney part, but I’m thinking about changing to the Cabins - maybe for the whole thing, but maybe with a couple of nights at AKL at the end. But I’m starting to think that if we reset our expectations and plan on lots more resort time and few or no indoor meals, maybe we can pull this off.

3 Likes

That’s my current thinking about my cruise.

2 Likes

It looks like it’s indoor only (probably reasonable, if they are following their physical distancing policy)

“all guests will be asked to wear masks in certain indoor areas of Carnival’s ships”

https://carnival-news.com/2021/08/04/carnival-cruise-line-to-implement-new-mask-guidelines-for-all-guests-and-pre-cruise-testing-requirements-for-vaccinated-guests/

*Outdoors – Remain at least 3 feet from others when not wearing a mask and not in your cruise companion group.

And apparently they’ve implemented it immediately on the Vista.

1 Like

I have never in my life considered running for school board. Until this week.

14 Likes

My family all got Moderna.

1 Like

The COVID surge continues in Florida with hospitals reporting new record-breaking admissions for the virus on Thursday.

As of mid-day, 12,888 people in the state had been admitted to a hospital for COVID, even more than the 12,408 admissions that had been an all-time high a day earlier. The new COVID admissions record comes as 255 of 261 hospitals in the state reported COVID admissions to US Health and Human Services, which provides the information on its website.

I think this is where the newspapers are getting their daily intel.

5 Likes

Same, for those over 18.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching a vlogger’s posts that is currently on the Mardi Gras. Masks came off the minute that everyone got on the ship. They put them back on when they disembark at ports of call. Other than that, it looks like pre-covid life onboard.

1 Like

Ok the source I had only went through July 31st. That’s bad. I do think it will turn soon - Delta is burning through the population and will run out of people to infect soon, for better and worse.

3 Likes

True. Between infections and an uptick in vaccinations due to the infections, this too shall pass.

3 Likes

There is a Darwin Award joke in there somewhere that would be entirely inappropriate to make and not funny at all. I am just :broken_heart: watching people sacrifice their health to misinformation.

And the vaccinated people they are taking down with them. Which DQs them from the Darwin Award, BTW.

And that there is a decent probability they will kick another round of variant in the process. Infinite loop until they wise up or enough are eliminated. :cry:

12 Likes

This is my biggest fear now.

7 Likes

This picture says it all.

Where will the next evasive variant fall?

ETA: And those lines appear to be “central lines” of a distribution of protection, based on the number of re-infections happening.

4 Likes

Doesn’t sound like “Delta Plus” is too big a deal yet, but yes, I’m sure there will be others. This will be part of our lives.

But we need them to pop up slowly and be containable. Not constantly popping up and burning through a significant portion of the population when they do.

Otherwise there are a number of vulnerable people, many with otherwise manageable health conditions, that are all going to get slowly picked off, even if vaccinated, unless they commit to living the rest of their lives as hermits. Which apparently many of the rest of us find unbearable.

4 Likes

Agree. If (a) Pfizer releases their data as planned at the end of September, (b) the results are good (very safe and effective), and © case counts are high like now, then I think there will be substantial pressure to get emergency approval for the 5-11 kids.

4 Likes

This is the physically fit man I mentioned yesterday:

This is that man shortly before he died of COVID. He had declined to be vaccinated, a decision he later said he regretted.

Get the damn vaccine. They work.

12 Likes

I bet that’s the same head bubble my parent’s neighbor is wearing right now. Looks way more inconvenient than a mask.

6 Likes

His having Type O is the loophole? If so, that’s completely nuts.

AFAIK the only studies relating to blood type said that type A may have a higher likelihood of contracting COVID, not that Type O is immune.

6 Likes