Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Your list is different than the information released by Merck Canada. See here: https://www.merck.ca/static/pdf/GARDASIL_9-PM_E.pdf

Iā€™m a former anti vaxxer, so Iā€™m familiar with this line of reasoning.
Gardasil was studied for YEARS before release, so even IF there was eventually proven to be a causation, the time it would take to prove such a thing would make vaccine development crawl to a standstill while disease ravaged the earth.

Donā€™t want the vaccine, fine, donā€™t get it. But letā€™s not wrap grains of truth in conjecture and pass it off as scientific data.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not an anti-vaxxer. I am fully vaccinated. As are my children. A question was asked about why some are suggesting a pause on vaccinating children under 12. I explained that they want to ensure the benefits of the vaccines outweigh the risks. Some have speculated that the reason they are suggesting delays for the under 12 group is related to vaccine supply. That may be true for some, but not all. Some are concerned about the risks outweighing the benefits and want to see further studies conducted.

The other symptoms that werenā€™t listed on the main website seem to be extremely rare amongst the trial participants and nowhere did I see anything mentioned about long term reproductive issues, unless I missed something.

And looking at my CDC information sheet that I received when my DS12 got it, the same side effects I posted are listed and of course the disclaimer that there is a remote chance of serious injury or death from a vaccine.

So yeah, I agree. Long term reproductive issues are not fact based, at least at this point in time.

2 Likes

I was with you until you brought fertility into it. There are people who want more studies due to some cases of myocarditis. If those people want to wait, then they should wait. I donā€™t think we should necessarily halt vaccine distribution to younger people until itā€™s disproven since itā€™s very rare and benefit is high.

Once you started saying potential fertility issues, thatā€™s when I start calling it into question.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Those comments were not related to covid vaccines. As there is a concern that those comments could confuse or mislead, I have deleted my posts related to fertility. It was not my intention to suggest that the covid vaccines caused fertility issues. My point is that people want further studies.

I wasnā€™t looking for a whole vaccine debate here. I do not believe that is the intent of this thread. I do think itā€™s reasonable to consider the real risk of serious vaccine side effects with the real risks of covid by age group.

I find it fascinating that these vaccines have side effects that are more prevalent in certain populations - in much the same way that the disease itself affects people of different populations (namely age and gender, not to mention co-morbidities) in varying severity.

3 Likes

I also think that maybe this is a good time to bring Covid outbreak threads to a close. Covid isnā€™t gone, but the worst is past and at this point I think maybe they do more harm than good.

1 Like

I was thinking this the other day that maybe itā€™s time to lock it before it devolves into something else.

1 Like

@michelle625 saying things like ā€œstrong correlationā€ and alluding to a retracted study about HPV and infertility, is going to give some people here (including me) an anti-vaxx vibe.

@nicneb, I donā€™t think I need to lock this thread right now.

8 Likes

Might be a good time to mention that I really appreciate that this thread has never been locked, despite some intense exchanges from time to time (guilty as charged). Most comments only loosely relate to Disney, so I appreciate the latitude given by Len and the mods to have this big open discussion here on how this pandemic has affected all our lives. I think this group is more intelligent than the population at large, and we are mature enough to decide for ourselves what articles to read or experts to follow to corroborate or disprove anything discussed here.

Having this thread has added much depth to the forum for me. In many cases, I feel Iā€™ve gotten to know people better and then when certain people have a trip report or have Disney comments, itā€™s more meaningful than just a random person on the internet, because I know and understand their mindset and at least part of their personality.

I was thinking to let this thread finish its course and hit 10K comments and just not start another one, but not my call. Thanks for the opportunities to share thoughts freely here.

17 Likes

Ha! I think we know we donā€™t always agree- but I completely agree!

5 Likes

Iā€™ll second this thought! Iā€™ve been really impressed w/ the dissection of data shared here.

4 Likes

I agree with you, and the idea of letting this one max it and then not open a new one was kinda what I had in mind. Not a direct lock today.

6 Likes

Thank you to everyone here for being civil and mature. We should all be able to listen, understand, respect, and learn from other views. When we start putting up a wall or silencing others is when we compromise our very important free speech. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I wasnā€™t referring to that retracted article. I was referring to one in 2020, but I wonā€™t say more given the concerns about my comments confusing or misleading people about the vaccines.

1 Like

I like the idea of letting this thread run its course and then not starting a new one. And I nominate @Pod to post the very last post (the last one was automatically capped at 10,041 (or 2) - not sure if that will hold true).

Here is the very first post @Pod made back on January 29, 2020, when Covid was just a glimmer in our collective eye:

By the way, the Vox article that she shared is fascinating with 2020 (heh) hindsight. This part in particular turned out to be unintentional foreshadowing:

Julia Belluz

Iā€™ve read that the virus can spread even when people arenā€™t showing symptoms, like the recent case in Germany. What do you make of that?

Isaac Bogoch

I want to see more data to support the notion that truly asymptomatic people may have transmitted the infection. Even if there have been cases of asymptomatic transmission of this infection ā€” those will be typically rare cases and with just about every other respiratory tract infection known to humankind, those are not the people who are driving an epidemic.

5 Likes

I remember reading a lot about the German case because I was concerned as soon as I heard the phrase ā€œasymptomatic transmissionā€. The crazy thing about the German case is that at first it was reported that the person was asymptomatic, but then later it came out that she had taken fever reducing medicine before the business meeting where the other people were exposed.

So even after that situation, no one really knew if asymptomatic transmission was possible.

Also, it raises the question of what asymptomatic means ā€¦ many people with very mild symptoms would say they had no symptoms if asked, but upon detailed questioning, it may turn out that a medical professional would define the person as symptomatic. How does a person with allergies, everyday discomfort, fatigue from working all day and then coming home to take care of 2 kids, etc know if they have very mild Covid symptoms?

5 Likes

Made You Look! :wink:

12 Likes

A professional summary from MLE on the latest in the possible link between myocarditis and vaccination.

Highlights:

Is the rate of myocarditis after vaccination (i.e. observed) higher than the rate of myocarditis in the background (i.e. expected)?
Yes. The observed rate is higher than the expected rate. So, myocarditis is probably due to the vaccine.

What are the case details?
There are now 484 cases of myocarditis following vaccination among people <30 years old in the United States. Among the 484 patients, 67% (or 323 cases) had been fully investigated by the CDC. Among the 323 investigated casesā€¦
-96% (309 patients) were hospitalized
ā€”295 of these patients have been discharged from the hospital. 79% had full recovery of symptoms
ā€”9 were still hospitalized at the time (2 were in the ICU)
-The majority of symptoms popped up, on average, 4 days after vaccination
-Myocarditis is higher among males and higher after the second dose

There is good news though. We expect 4-6% of people to die from myocarditis. We havenā€™t seen that death rate of vaccine-induced myocarditis, which is encouraging.

Does benefit outweigh risk?
Yes, the benefits still clearly outweigh the risks for COVID-19 vaccination in adolescents and young adults.

COVID19 is still very much a risk. And there have been 133 million vaccine 2nd doses administered and 636 reported myocarditis cases as of June 11, 2021.

The CDC also ran some future projections. For every 1 million vaccinations among males aged 12-17, 5,700 COVID19 cases will be prevented, 215 hospitalizations prevented, and 2 deaths prevented. On the other side, for every 1 million vaccinations, there would be 56-69 myocarditis cases.

4 Likes