Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Maybe this comment should be under Jokes/Memes: I’m watching an ad for airlines and they are showing their intense cleaning for passengers (disinfecting for covid?) and I thought maybe they should show Flight Attendants taking kick boxing lessons instead :thinking: (due to the increase passenger violence on flights). :laughing:

I was flying home from my first business trip in almost 2 years today from NOLA to Atlanta then Minneapolis. Sitting waiting for my delta flight and a guy sits down, dressed like a pilot, but not a delta one, no mask on site. I fo to board my flight and he’s sitting directly in front of me. No mask. Flight attendants are joking around with him, giving him extra snacks, etc. they never said a word to him. WTF. I asked the flight attendant on my next flight and she was pissed. That shouldn’t have happened, they were breaking the law, etc.

2 Likes

Totally breaking the law.! Ppl are being fined upto 20K for refusing (with physical attacking).

WHO guidelines are focused on getting the world vaccinated, especially struggling third world ones. I think a lot of their policy is generated around preserving vaccine supply globally. Note that they only think 12-15 year olds should get vaccinated if they are high risk.

3 Likes

Agree re the focus of the WHO, but there are some countries holding off on vaccinating children until more tests are done and not solely because of supply issues. They need to be sure the benefits outweigh the risks.

Is there a single vaccine that is on the market that is safe for adults but not kids? (Not ones that we don’t give to kids bc they aren’t a risk group, specifically unsafe for kids.)
I’m not being snarky, I’m seriously asking.
I feel like these countries are either lying about their reasons to withhold the vaccine or they are buying into the hysteria that somehow this vaccine is unsafe.

2 Likes

For the US, I believe there are some that want more research for under 12 due to some 12-17 year olds having heart inflammation after Pfizer. I don’t think it is a refusal, but more of a want for a longer trial (1 year instead of 6 months). I posted an article earlier on that. I think WHO wants to reserve the vaccine for health care workers and the elderly in all countries, rather than some countries using it for kids that are not as a high of a risk at the expense of the healthcare workers/elderly across the globe.

Other than that, I haven’t seen anything about what you are asking.

1 Like

I agree with you on the US reasons. I stated exactly what you said as the reason for the WHO recommendations.

2 Likes

I have no medical expertise. I rely on local physicians and others with medical training to guide my decisions. As I understand it, their concern is that we haven’t tested the vaccines for several years like we normally would and there are apparently vaccines used in the last 20 years that have caused issues for children that were not discovered until years later. Some of the issues, like reproductive issues, are not as important for adults (especially those who are past childbearing age). The risks from vaccines are extremely low, but they want to be cautious with children given the risks associated with covid for the healthy under 12 group is also extremely low.

I did not take it as snarky. I think there is a lot of misinformation out there. It seems to me that most on here are simply trying to find reliable information.

1 Like

That said, I am actually hoping for approval for the under 12’s this fall.

1 Like

Just curious, but what vaccine causes reproductive issues long term?

The only reason I have seen from the US experts for doing a longer trial is the heart inflammation issue.

1 Like

What vaccine has caused reproductive issues?

You need to change this statement then, bc it presents rumor as fact. There is zero factual evidence that Gardasil causes infertility.

5 Likes

This is a correlation, not a causation situation.

Here is a chart of how long it took for this vaccine to get tested and approved.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/documents/hpv_vaccine_is_safe.pdf

I digress.

4 Likes

We have a covid tracker app in the UK, which we are supposed to use every day to record how we feel, any covid tests or vaccines (it was entirely voluntary to download). I used it religiously until I was fully recovered from Covid but haven’t really since although I have recorded any covid tests I’ve had and both vaccine doses.

Anyway, they emailed me last week asking for me to take an antibody test. It specifies that it only picks up antibodies from actual infection, not vaccines. I did it yesterday and just got a positive result. It’s almost exactly 5 months since I caught covid. I’m assuming they will ask me again in a few more months.

5 Likes

Say it louder for the people in the back:

Correlation is NOT causation.

9 Likes

Interesting that Merck’s own product documents on side effects found during trials and postmarketing are not the same as those in the chart. Thanks for sharing. Always looking for more information on these issues.

Agreed. But correlation also means further study is sometimes warranted, especially with a strong correlation to see if we can determine what other factors may be play.

I’m not going to engage with you any further if you can’t be civil about it.

1 Like

Looks the same to me, except for diarrhea and abdominal pain.

I’m sorry, but you are claiming people’s children will become infertile because of a vaccine of which there have been NO proven facts on. You are using a common anti-vaccine statement to scare people and then say your just asking a question. Comments like yours are why this thread should have been locked a long time ago. @len and @PrincipalTinker please lock this down.

1 Like