Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

We have that too, now, but we could always choose water levels :wink:

1 Like

True, but I donā€™t trust my kids to remember to do that, lol!!

2 Likes

fair point! I wish the boys would sort though!

I donā€™t really have that problem - I donā€™t know if itā€™s the super hard water we have up here, or the fact that most of us dress like weā€™re auditioning for a Joy Division video. :rofl:
Middle child is trad goth. The rest of us just prefer dark colors and no prints.

1 Like

This is cool. Hope there are more studies.

5 Likes

Sweet!

1 Like

Small small sample size, but maybe it will warrant a wider study.

1 Like

Today is a momentous day for us b/c it is the very last asynchronous day of the school year. I definitely hope that we donā€™t have to deal with this next year b/c I had to spend each asynchronous day doing work with my DD9 all day long (for a lot of reasons; not everyone would have the same experience). I firmly believe that all my 3 kids will be going back to school 5 days a week next fall. At least I hope soā€¦

4 Likes

I already saw our school schedule next year. 5 days in-person. I think they are offering full virtual for those who want it, but no more distance learning days. Our last one was last Wednesday and they had off school today. Next week they are in person T-F. I hope we donā€™t have to deal with this next year either.

7 Likes

Looking forward to more data on this!

TLDR:
-if you had COVID + got vaxxed, likely have long-term immunity
-if you did not have COVID + got vaxxed, likely need a booster shot a year later

6 Likes

Thatā€™s the study I posted earlier. Super small sample, but very exciting. Because group three is those who had Covid and unvaccinated.

I posted elsewhere that blood donations from people with antibodies are used as convalescent plasma; but per the Red Cross website, once youā€™ve had a vaccine, your blood is no longer usable for that treatment. Iā€™m told our hospital frequently utilizes convalescent plasma. The push for vaccination could actually render the helpful plasma obsolete.

1 Like

Okay. So hypothetically, if you took your 11.25 year old to a mass vaccination site that wasnā€™t checking IDs, what is the risk?

In this hypothetical situation, you live in Texas, where masks will not be required for school in the fall and letā€™s assume the majority of the population wonā€™t be vaccinated too.

Thanks for sharing. Thatā€™s hopeful news!

I will say that this sounded fine:

Ellebedy said. ā€œThese cells are not dividing. They are quiescent, just sitting in the bone marrow and secreting antibodies. They have been doing that ever since the infection resolvedā€¦"

But this sounded off:

"ā€¦and they will continue doing that indefinitely.ā€

I checked with DH and he didnā€™t think it sounded right either. Ellebedy may have been trying to say that they were unsure how long it would last, but the language he used makes it sound like it would go on for an unlimited time.

1 Like

Nothing disciplinary. Although I expect mass vax sites to be pretty minimal by the fall.

If any adverse effects happened to your child, you would be excluded from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation program.

You will also run into issues once your child is eligible to be vaccinated because of not being vaccinated in accordance with the guidelines.

They study in different age groups for a reason. I am 100% planning to have my kids vaccinated. But I 100% would not take my 11yo to get vaxxed without supporting data.

I expect an EUA for ages 2-11 in September.

4 Likes

I am very excited about the EUA for the younger kids in Sept. I really hope that happens, b/c Iā€™d like to feel that my DD9 is as protected as possible going back to in person school, and thatā€™s right around when hers would start. She hasnā€™t had one day of in person school since Mar 12, 2020ā€“around here they kept them all closed until mid April, and then we decided we didnā€™t feel comfortable enough with the school policies to send her back (plus, they only allowed like 7 kids in her grade to come back, and it was only 2x a week anyway). Iā€™m hoping for the regular 5x week school for all of my kids. Our bad #s are finally going down.

1 Like

This is me because tomorrow is packing day! :laughing:. (Iā€™ve bookmarked it for laterā€¦)

But doesnā€™t that ignore that the booster would cover variants, and they arenā€™t sure the earlier vaccines and/or naturally acquired immunity will? Or do they mention that?

2 Likes

Iā€™m really hoping community spread is low enough by the first day of school (Aug 18) that we can get ok with masks being optional.

Alternatively, Texas is very accommodating for homeschooling. I may just homeschool them until they are 2 weeks past shot #1. (And, wow, I just checked our homeschool calendar, and turns out the proposed school year is October 1-July 15! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

This is the issue I can see, getting it straightened out for things like international travel. Even if mass vax sites are closed, I expect there will still be places in Houston not requiring documentation because that is needed for people in a number of situations.

3 Likes

Letā€™s be clear I am NOT trying to start a debate. Iā€™m just sharing this because DH is on cloud nine.

He got to work today and learned his company is going mask-free starting today. People CAN wear them if they want to. I was astonished, bc the owner of this small medical manufacturing company went above and beyond the NY state protocols last summer. As in, if someone was found covid positive, he then watched video surveillance recordings to see how many minutes people spent talking to that person to determine if they needed to be out two weeks.

The email said he didnā€™t think it was ā€œacceptable for only vaccinated people, because all people should have a choice,ā€ and he feels ā€œthe OSHA guidelines prohibits employers form distinguishing between workers.ā€ Clearly other employers must interpret the OSHA wording in different ways, etc., and I donā€™t have the desire to dig up any OSHA anything, LOL. But my DH was SO SO happy. Like, he actually texted me vs. just casually mentioning at dinner. Heā€™s much more lo-key than I.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great. Many are happy and relieved about demasking at work after so many months. And I know some have outstanding concern, and thatā€™s ok too, no debate from me either.

My work likewise is dropping mask requirements, starting next week. There was no official asking of vax status, but itā€™s a small enough company that people talk and I get a sense that about 90% have either had covid or are vaccinated, so I think our VP of Ops (also my boss) felt comfortable enough with that ratio and how new cases are plummeting in the area. We will still require masks for external people coming in for anything, and for our employees who interact with them, for the time being. Happy to see things approach normal where it should be pretty safe to do so.

4 Likes