Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/Flu/Pages/2020-21-Flu.aspx

Oh, that is interesting. I wonder if that is just during the acute phase or if that includes long covid? And if the variants will change that?

1 Like

Please don’t do this. The provider giving the vaccine may face disciplinary action, depending on the employer. I personally know someone who was written up by their DM at Walgreens for unknowingly giving a vaccine to an 11yo whose parents lied about their age.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m hoping it’s a non-issue by fall. We’ll see.

1 Like

I don’t know.

1 Like

Ok. So I don’t know that this is a totally fair assessment. 188 kids died of flu out of how many reported cases of kids with flu? And the 300 is out of how many kids reported with Covid? I don’t know the answer, but I’m willing to bet the denominator for kids with covid is much larger this year than kids with flu last year.

Of course this speaks nothing of complications - long term or otherwise.

I know 3 people(or their spouse) who have had strokes in the last 3 months. No idea if any of them ever did or did not have covid, but how many people in the 30-50 age bracket did I know before this spring who’d had a stroke? 0

The fall out from this - medical and otherwise - is so far from over.

Oldest DD has been vaccinated. Not in a big hurry to vaccinate the younger ones until my pediatrician endorses it. She did vaccinate her oldest child by but hasn’t given any opinions yet on if the younger set needs vaccination.

2 Likes

Ok, I made a chart, all using numbers sourced from the CDC (most from 2 similar charts) so hopefully it is largely comparing apples to apples.

Ok, I was wrong there. Depending on which way you calculate it, the 0-17 fatality rate is almost identical flu vs Covid, and they are both very low. But the risk of hospitalization with Covid is 2-3 times higher. Which goes into the concerns about long term health consequences.

I grabbed this for you while I was on the CDC website

Now…back to these blasted HS TPs…I have two half day TPs, and with the recent changes in crowd levels, the wait times went up over 1.5 hours per day! :scream:

7 Likes

Are those hospitalizations for children with Covid or for Covid? They are testing every child for Covid when they enter a hospital, whether it be flu like systems or a broken bone. If they are positive, even if they are asymptomatic, they are reporting it as a Covid hospitalization. So the numbers may be skewed.

Again, more research needs to be done on children and Covid. But this seems to be pointing to the fact that Covid is different for children than adults. Not that I think there is no risk or that children shouldn’t get the vaccine when it is available.

1 Like

For Covid. They are explicitly tracking disease burden, not a positivity count among those hospitalized.

This is the CDC website:

And this is the methodology behind the numbers the CDC links to. They note that it is the same methodology they use to make the influenza estimates, so it should be an apples to apples comparison.

Thanks for the breakdown! It’s still interesting to note that, from your chart, kids 0-4 are less likely than kids 5-17 to contract covid and end up in the hospital. It’s the opposite of flu, where younger kids are more likely to end up hospitalized. (Still recognizing the higher rate of hospitalization for covid vs flu) It would definitely be interesting to see the numbers teased out a bit more to reflect smaller age windows. I wonder if the <10 crowd looks more like the <5 crowd than the 10-17 year olds. But I just don’t know that the data has been collected that way anywhere.

Can’t believe you have time to do that and also worry about your TPs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

The first article you attached separates symptomatic from asymptomatic, but you can still be symptomatic and not need medical care for Covid. A child can have a mild case of Covid and be hospitalized for appendicitis. But does that mean they should be included in the count of having to be hospitalized for Covid? It doesn’t look like they are separating the true reason for hospitalization, unless I am reading it incorrectly.

The second article looks like it examines a period of time when many Covid cases were missed for many reasons (lack of testing, people not going to the hospital, etc). It also includes adults and children. I think we need to look at children’s data separately to really get a good picture at how Covid is affecting children.

I’m trying to point out that a lot of the information we have on Covid is for adults. They are starting to do more research on kids, which I am thankful for. They don’t seem to be affected in the same way as adults and if my children should get the virus (or already had it), then it would be good to have that information. But at the same time, I’m not going to create a bubble for my children to protect them from a small risk. We will take precautions until they are no longer needed and they will able to interact with other children and participate in activities they enjoy.

I added in the populations for those age groups, which are quite different due to the difference in ranges.

Look like 0-4’s have been quite a bit less likely to contract Covid. Not sure if that has to do with how transmission works or if they have been less exposed (much of the 5-17 exposure is coming through extracurriculars).

But they are almost twice as likely to be hospitalized as 5-17s if infected, so the overall % of that population that has been hospitalized is almost the same. (But yes, that appears to be even more pronounced in the flu.)

Not sure, Feel free to go digging. :crazy_face:

Of course, this could all go out the window with the variants. I don’t even know what to make of the data coming out of Brazil. As much as we wonder about our data, it’s a lot more solid than what’s out there for much of the world.

I needed a break. I think I’m going to need to completely rethink my UOR approach after finding out the showtimes in TP are possibly completely off and getting more details about what rides will be open and when during the OI meetup. Sigh.

1 Like

Go play w/ your TPs!!! we do not need another debate about flu vs. C-19 anyway :wink:

3 Likes

Ugh. I need to do chores first. :sweat_smile: It’s “wash all the laundry so we can pack tomorrow” day!

4 Likes

Well, that is a BIG chore in your house of ___ how many kids??? :rofl: At 9 yrs. old I started teaching my 4 children how to do their own laundry; BEST thing I ever did!!! My DH even does his own laundry now but that’s b/c I refuse to use dryer sheets.

1 Like

Wow…I can’t fathom how many loads of laundry that would be per week…or is it less because they just don’t bother? :joy: 4 here as well. They are all super good about getting it in the hampers and putting it away. I wash and sort. (Well, except the socks that seem to breed under the sofa…)

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of me! I had actually seen this article and it did give me some confidence that we’re doing the right thing by loosening up a bit. I did see all the discussion about if the article is realistic. I just don’t know, but I do feel confident to take my unvaccinated DD9 for some outdoors activities of various sorts–which I did not feel confident about, say, 6 months ago. We avoided the tiny playground in our neighborhood, despite it being almost always empty, until they started saying that touching surfaces wasn’t as dangerous as thought. Now she’s going there most days, with sanitizer and a mask in her pocket. But I still will avoid anything indoors that’s not necessary with her until #s decrease more and / or she can get vaccinated.

2 Likes

My older two do their own laundry, have for years. We have one of those water efficient front loaders, so the impact is minimal in that respect. Except for the rare thing that needs bleach or isn’t color fast, everyone mixes lights and darks and washes in cold. I do the 6 year olds and mine and DHs.

2 Likes

Ugh, that is the worst part of all of traveling, to me. Even with kids getting much older I’m still the one who makes sure they have the right clothes…and actually pack them. Good luck!

2 Likes

ding ding ding especially the boys and they don’t sort either so all their whites look grey :joy::joy:

2 Likes