Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

A lot of students at University of Redlands (my daughter’s school) decided to still go to Redlands and rent an apartment or house. Yesterday we got an email from the dean with a revised set of standards that includes new standards due to COVID-19. The email also stated that they know via social media that students in the area are having house parties off campus and that any student who hosts or attends such a party without abiding by the standards set form (distancing, masks, etc.) could face sanctions from the University. I confess I didn’t look into this closely since my daughter is staying home. The school is in San Bernardino County which is remaining stubbornly red on the Harvard Coronavirus map.

1 Like

UVM has very strict punishments for not abiding by the rules on campus (masks always, 6 foot distancing always, nobody in your dorm room even if they live next door to start). First offense is $250. Next is suspension.
Off campus students have to abide by the Mayor’s new rules: No more than 10 people in a residence, must be socially distant and wearing masks. No more than 25 people in an outside group (with masks and social distancing). No warnings. First offense equals suspension. Zero tolerance. It will be interesting to see how this goes!

1 Like

Classes started today for DD19. We’re trying to keep framing this school year to our kids as an incredible adventure that they’ll tell their grandkids about. But it’s not easy.

You’re in NOLA area @drvillarejos? (I know Louisiana…) Looks like she’s splitting the difference between us. She’s a scary one. We’re safely in Austin and looks like our house will only get tropical storm force winds. Worried for friends in Beaumont.

9 Likes

Oh wow, just a little bit of stress there with the first day of classes plus an evacuation and hurricane. I hope your home is okay. I have been following close today, I have quite a bit of family in Port Lavaca.

2 Likes

Perspective on the size of Laura. Red pin is our house. Blue pin is us, 150 miles away in Austin.

5 Likes

Another “entirely within the realm of 2020 possibilities”…

8 Likes

Sharkicane. I’m going to have to share that one with my husband and kids.

2 Likes

I’m sure glad I’m not in Lake Charles any more. I was there for Rita in 2006. It was not a good time.

3 Likes

And it gets even more so…was this in there when you saw it? @DisneyDad28

“This story has been updated with comments from Dr. Anthony Fauci.”

White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Anthony Fauci said he was in surgery and not part of the discussion during the August 20 task force meeting when updated guidelines were discussed.

“I was under general anesthesia in the operating room and was not part of any discussion or deliberation regarding the new testing recommendations,” Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

“I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is,” he said.

6 Likes

I was wondering where you all went! 10,000, wow!

2 Likes

I’m impressed you all went as far as you did, especially with her being a freshman! And it can’t be easy to get back and. forth- I’m guessing at least 2 connections. @dianelynn advised me to check on DS22’s scholarship, and he petitioned (and were granted) a deferral on that just this morning, so that sealed the deal. He’s got a job interview here so hopefully we’re all set for the semester- fingers crossed.

But no matter how careful these schools are, there are going to be outbreaks. I’m convinced of it, after reading the new info from Dr. Bedford at UW (it’s in the old thread). By starting school, they are lifting a very major part of the shutdowns. Cases will follow. I think it’s inevitable.

So if a school’s plan is to keep out the virus, they’re probably going to fail unless they’re quite small. If they have a plan to deal with it and forge ahead, there might be a chance. But. there’s no way DS’s school of 30k kids is not going to have an outbreak, and I just don’t think they have the determination or plan to keep those in-person classes going. They seem to think they can prevent outbreaks, but. I just don’t think they can.

5 Likes

Sorry if someone already mentioned it but who had “possible tornadoes in NE August 2020” for bingo? I swear to God I might just throw in the towel! Our DOH is doing such a great job but my head almost exploded yesterday after they released more things we need to do to reopen school.

1 Like

And why has NO ONE yelled out “BINGO” yet to put this whole game out of its misery?

7 Likes

I just told one of my supervisors that I want off this 2020 train. I’m over it.

3 Likes

My cubicle neighbor is to blame for 2020. Before all this started, I mentioned the idea of “May you live in interesting times” being a curse. He said he didn’t see it and thought that sounded like a good thing. Our next department zoom meeting, I’ll ask him how that is working out for him.

6 Likes

Good news! My test came back negative with these instructions: "Although your test results did not detect the virus, you should continue to monitor for symptoms for up to 14 days after your last possible exposure. " Next Wednesday will be 14 days …

17 Likes

@Pod

Looked for the link to Dr Bedford info you’ve mentioned in the prev thread - no joy.

Found this article on line. Herd Immunity May Be Slowing Spread in U.S., As Study Finds 40 Percent Community Infection Provides Protection

Interesting.

1 Like

40% is probably a lot higher than needed, IF we keep current restrictions more or less in place. That’s the key. I guess all of these studies on what levels are required for herd immunity were done for diseases with vaccines, and they also presume we don’t change our behavior.

But we are in a real, life epidemic and we’ve changed our behavior quite a bit, including wearing masks. So the required herd immunity may be much less.

Here’s the thread by Dr. Bedford. It was a real eye-opener to me.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1291860659118804992

2 Likes

Just want to say that I appreciate @Wahoohokie ‘s input in another thread about testing supplies becoming scarce again. I had not heard that and it puts a new perspective on things. Shouldn’t be surprising with colleges ramping up testing to start the year (although DS18’s is NOT testing much to our dismay!). I do wish that CDC and other leaders would be straightforward about why they give the recommendations they do, although that may be naive to request of a government agency. At the outset of this when masks were not recommended, if they had just stipulated that it was due to conserving them for healthcare workers and not because they were unnecessary or ineffective, maybe we wouldn’t have as much division on the subject now. If they are reducing testing recommendations now due to a shortage, please say that rather than say it’s not necessary.

4 Likes

Thanks, I had read that thread - realized it when I read about no good exit strategy for areas that successfully suppressed. My phrasing.

1 Like