Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

It was the first. And wasn’t even about Disney planning!

7 Likes

My grandniece had a dr visit yesterday. I’ve known this doctor for decades, probably right after he started practicing. Smart, wise, a parent himself.

We got to talking about chicken pox. And vaccines. He said adults who had the disease as children are now becoming sick again because of their children having been vaccinated. Historically, each successful generation of kids having chicken pox reminded their parents’ immune systems to top off the chicken pox antigens. This is not happening, post vaccine. Which is not to say stop vaccines, merely that we don’t always realize consequences or understand well the process of immunity.

Also, my own thought in response to a comment by @adusca in the previous thread about “intuitive”. I suspect we’re conditioned in our thinking by the flu and how we think our immune systems respond. As has been mentioned many times here, we need scientific studies, actual reproducible methodologies for symptoms reporting, good statistical reasoning and a concise, credible system for promulgating information.

Despite being over a 100 years from “Spanish flu” we seem to be having similar discussions, tho now we know about viruses and aren’t arguing about miasmas.

1 Like

This. I’m in my early 60s, way overweight, and mostly sedentary; I’m always easily winded - but am I now more so?. I’ve had a chronic cough for over a year - am I coughing more now? Let’s talk about allergies… And so on for almost all of the published symptoms. The one thing I have never had is a fever, so I’m using that as my alarm signal.

7 Likes

Well, it started out about Disney planning! Kind of. Maybe, Well, it was travel-related. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Wow. I did not know that. My kids were among the earliest of the generation to be vaccinated. Which maybe explains the shingles I got, and the shingles vaccine I have to get…

The law of unintended consequences apparently has no expiration date.

2 Likes

This is why I like this guy so much. He’s curious, always learning and very likely to admit he’s got to look things up to check himself.

2 Likes

I had a great endocrinologist like that for years. I was sad when he decided to leave his post and take the job of Head of Endocrinology in a Toronto hospital. Good move for him. But I liked the fact that he would listen, and when I would present things I was doing or experiencing, he would think on them. Once, when I started adopting a modified form of multiple daily injections by splitting up my long-acting insulin across multiple shots, he was surprised by this…but then the next appointment, he started out telling me, excitedly, about how he had talked with a colleague at a conference who was running a study doing that very thing with good results so far!

My previous endocrinologists tended to have a god complex and treated you like it was their way or the highway (and I generally chose the highway and found a different endo). My new endo (replacement for my previous) is fine. She’s younger, but kind of treats me like she has something to prove rather than listen to my years of wisdom and experience with this disease. It has been a couple years, and she seems to finally be realizing that perhaps I know what I’m talking about after all! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Breaking in new doctors!

I am definitely the expert on myself.

When we both agree about that, we get along.

1 Like

This has happened to me multiple times over the last few months. But it never develops into anything, so I assume it’s just allergies or whatnot. So don’t feel too bad - it can happen even if you’re staying home.

2 Likes

Or it’s the I’m wearing a mask and not drinking enough dry throat syndrome.

Gets me every time in waiting rooms.

3 Likes

This pushed me to the value of vaccinating for chicken pox. It didn’t seem important until shingles emerged as an increasing problem.

This definitely happened and freaked me out the first time I spent a long time in a mask.

2 Likes

I am very relieved by how well school reopening is going here:

3 Likes

Curiouser and curiouser.

3 Likes

Part 2, maybe we’re breaking TP! Haha! Carry on yall!

2 Likes

This is why, despite the fact that my DD18 went to Vermont 2 weeks early to quarantine on campus, has had 3 Covid tests (all negative), and should be starting mostly in person classes on Monday…she (and I) are currently flying home to Washington State. The school just keeps changing the rules, and my DD couldn’t take the uncertainty. During quarantine, new info was released that made the on campus experience she was willing to accept 2 weeks ago no longer doable for her. Not all the way across the country, not without any friends or family (she’s a freshman), not without a room mate who decided not to go to campus, and certainly not with the ever changing day-to-day rules that makes the on campus experience right now similar to prison. They can have no one in their rooms, at all period. With no roommate, who would she talk to when it starts getting too cold outside (soon…it’s Vermont). Anyway, she decided late last week to switch to the At Home option for the semester, so I flew out on Sunday (we had brought a lot of suitcases, and bought a lot of stuff when we arrived 2 weeks ago, it was not really possible for her to manage without me without a car. She seems happy with her decision, and is thinking she will be even happier if (when?) the school shuts down in 2 weeks. The indecision and loss of any semblance of normal human behavior was just too much. She has changed to mostly remote (live stream) classes so will still have plenty of work to do, but can do it from home and still live as humans are supposed to, being social with family and friends. Good luck to your son!

9 Likes

I’m sad to hear this. This is going to be a bummer of a year. My daughter had her first class of the semester this morning. I asked her how it was. Her reply: boring. She does not do well with remote which could have something to do with her ADHD.

4 Likes

My son is a senior at college and I suggested he work remotely from home instead of going back (all his classes have been designated as virtual). He has an off-campus apartment. He went back today. We’ll see if he ends up coming home. It’s a really hard decision for kids, especially freshmen that are already going through so many emotions leaving home for the first time.

4 Likes

Thanks. It wasn’t what we were hoping for, but I would rather her have changed her mind before classes started (and before tuition and room/board were paid), then waiting it out and being miserable. Her school has said there will be zero refunds on room/board if they close. Even if it happens in 2 weeks. That’s kind of some B.S. right there, I think. I don’t see how they can keep it if there is no one allowed to stay on campus if they close.
I must have had an inkling that she wasn’t going to stay, since despite that fact that she moved onto campus on August 14th, we decided not to pay tuition and room/board until right before the deadline which is this Friday. Her bill has been updated, so I will pay it tomorrow.

6 Likes

I hope he has a good semester!

1 Like

Thanks! Me too. It’s been a turbulent 4 years!

1 Like