Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I’m sure. But DH’s company must abide by County rules. He is asked everyday if he traveled out of the Country 150 miles before he is allowed in.

Rules stopped making sense long ago.

1 Like

No one enforces the 30’ but some people get nervous and shout 30’! Only Traders Joes limits the number of people in their stores. I refuse to stand in line for 30 minutes to get in.

To me this is not very different from people refusing to wear a mask indoors when they’re supposed to, and giving those who do a hard time. There are whackos on both sides of the mask issue.

1 Like

I have been to WDW/UOR 3 times, Oahu once. Flew to Vermont twice. Many hours of flight time from WA and we have stayed in many hotels and resorts. I didn’t travel from mid March until the end of June, and I was feeling anxious and caged. Since the 4th of July, plenty of travel and so happy for that.
Everyone we know in real life is traveling, well except my Mom who is 78 and doesn’t get her 2nd vaccine until next week. Then she too will be traveling. She is ecstatic to get that back.
I am thinking about going to DCA as well. I miss just being there at Disneyland.

4 Likes

Why do you care what other people wear? If they just want to protect themselves (you don’t know their circumstances), what skin is it off your nose?

I’ll wear what I want, because I have my own circumstances to worry about. (FWIW I don’t wear a shield but I do sometimes wear gloves, depending on what I’m doing, where I am, etc.)

1 Like

As one small example, I have eczema and my hands crack easily to have open cuts. Handwashing and sanitizer exacerbate that. But this really affects no one else so long as I dispose of things properly (I always :100: do), so it shouldn’t matter what my thinking is.

1 Like

In @stlouie’s defense, I don’t see where she was criticizing what other people wear. She mentioned things that people do, but that she didn’t do. Which is, as I’m sure you would agree, her choice to make. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m so happy you all can enjoy yourselves! After what you have endured as a nurse during months of uncertainty, you need to decompress and live your life. I enjoyed all your WDW pictures and stories. You all had appropriate protocols! Tomorrow is not a guarantee.

3 Likes

I wasn’t criticizing what other people choose to do. I was merely stating my observations of the world around me, which includes my friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

5 Likes

We started PCR testing this week in work. My Thursday test came back “invalid” so I took another one yesterday. It just came back negative so I will get to see my mom tomorrow!

11 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Did you get your vaccine yet?

I appreciated reading these thoughts. I’ve been wondering about this a lot too. Even though DH and I will have to wait until gen pop, DS4 will not be eligible until next spring (as a 5 year old) and our baby will be even longer. We do occasionally see another family that also matches our level of cautiousness but we’ve been keeping them away from all the other kids they know and it’s really sad.
At least when the weather warms up we can do some outdoor/distanced playdates.

1 Like

No, most likely we will be eligible at the end of the month. My mom has not received the vaccine either. She has hospice and they say only Johnson & Johnson for her.

2 Likes

Speaking of J&J, it has officially been approved for emergency use:

12 Likes

yay! maybe now I can get a damn appointment for my dad!!!

5 Likes

@stlouie This was our experience hiking in Colorado last summer as well. We wore gaiters around our necks while hiking. If we encountered other hikers, we would pull them up over our nose and mouth when we passed, and also step off the trail to try keep 3-6’ as well. (Or turn our backs to them if it was a narrow area.)

2 Likes

Ok, this is a really weird one. We can’t get these shots in arms fast enough for me! Epidemiologists are going to be sifting through data for decades…

“What is added by this report?
Five residents of a skilled nursing facility received positive SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid test results in two separate COVID-19 outbreaks separated by 3 months. Residents received at least four negative test results between the two outbreaks, suggesting the possibility of reinfection. Severity of disease in the five residents during the second outbreak was worse than that during the first outbreak and included one death.”

“The Kentucky Department for Public Health (KDPH) and a local health department conducted an investigation at a skilled nursing facility (SNF) that experienced a second COVID-19 outbreak in October 2020, 3 months after a first outbreak in July. Five residents received positive SARS-CoV-2 reverse transcription–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test results during both outbreaks. During the first outbreak, three of the five patients were asymptomatic and two had mild symptoms that resolved before the second outbreak. Disease severity in the five residents during the second outbreak was worse than that during the first outbreak and included one death. Because test samples were not retained, phylogenetic strain comparison was not possible. However, interim period symptom resolution in the two symptomatic patients, at least four consecutive negative RT-PCR tests for all five patients before receiving a positive test result during the second outbreak, and the 3-month interval between the first and the second outbreaks, suggest the possibility that reinfection occurred. ”

3 Likes

My neighbor, a Boston hospital nurse, told us her daughter- a public school in-person teacher has tested positive twice in 8 weeks.

@amvanhoose_701479, another thread reminded me of a news story I heard today. A local studio tends to recycle old news but they were reporting that the cdc warned not to reduce any of the protocols right now. It was a time to be strict. Was there something new this week? It is coming at a time some of our cities are refusing to open faster, and schools are going to 3 ft (nose to nose).

2 Likes

There is a lot of good news right now and promising signs, but I’m channeling that optimism to being vigilant! I think that’s the right approach when we are so close to beating this thing and the last to die will be the most tragic, as they are the most preventable.

As an example of good news, hospitalizations are now under 50,000 nationwide, which is the lowest level since the fall (specifically November 2nd). Cases have blipped, but there is reason to believe this is due to Texas snowstorms and Presidents’ Day. (Here’s a great thread on that.) Let’s keep these numbers dropping before we let our foot off the gas!

6 Likes