Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I agree with you. Although our cases here have dropped dramatically since late November, to me it seems the tail of the daily new case curve should be narrower. I expect the rapid vaccine roll-out will compensate for our possible lack of vigilance, but I really want these numbers squished. Ground into the dust and trampled on by a very big herd of whatever large mammal is milling about. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Yes, but they were reporting that due to the new strains the cdc warned there was a potential for widespread increase in cases? I havenā€™t read that anywhere.

I actually just found a few

3 Likes

I think this is and will always be true, unfortunately. But I also think thereā€™s a decent chance the vaccination efforts could outpace the rise in mutations, at least among the populations where it matters most.

4 Likes

The issue is certain states want to loosen up mask mandates and other restrictions already, which could lead to a new surge, and the new surge would likely be the new variants that are likely even more transmissible. We need more people vaccinated first, and a better handle on the parameters of the variants, before loosening up. The current rate of spread is a bad place to plateau-this level of spread will keep the new variants coming. Roll the dice enough times and something truly ugly could come up.

4 Likes

I agree with this. Iā€™m on the optimistic side, but we need to wait at least a month, preferably two before loosening restrictions too much (other than things that are already being done safely in most states - I think there are some states that have been too restrictive all along). The stakes of being wrong about the optimism are too high. We should know so much more very shortly.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice! Hiking without masks is ideal and a return to normality. Our trip isnā€™t until Labor Day weekend. It may be rather chilly. @Pod posted a picture of snow in front of her house in early September 2020 and I got concerned. We do get into the mid-30s but that tends to be at night, after we are toasty with central heating.

DHā€™s work county just needs to get off of its travel quarantine!!!

1 Like

So much to learn and much is being done on the fly with the best data/information available. Thanks for sharing all the information you do.

1 Like

We need to do a better job getting the vulnerable vaccinated. It feels like CA is doing a haphazard job of getting the vulnerable vaccinated and way before the vulnerable are even close to all getting their first shot, we have moved on to the next groups, who snatch up all the appointments.

Thank you for all the data graphs. I appreciate seeing them.

1 Like

This!

1 Like

Are you criticizing CA?!? :crazy_face: Go right ahead.

1 Like

Yes, we are opening dining at 100% and for the first time in a year entertainment venues will be open. We were looking at the Comedy Club shows last night.

3 Likes

Happy for you! :smiley:

Indoor dining opened at limited capacity in the fall but got shut done right around Thanksgiving. Indoor dining has yet to open back up. Entertainment? It will have been closed one year by March 17. :cry: The SF 49ers were trying to have 25% live audience at there huge new outdoor stadium. Santaā€™s Clara County said, ā€œNO!ā€ Too many people touching the same things, they said. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Our governor announced that sport teams could have very limited fans but Boston has said no so I donā€™t know where that stands now.

1 Like

A few fans is better than cardboard fans and piped in sound!

2 Likes

I just donā€™t know if the mayor can stop it?

People are planning weddings! 100 indoor/150
Outside!

1 Like

While there is no defined percent capacity constraint, the tables still have to be socially distanced, so the capacity will be defined by how close a restaurantā€™s tables typically are, for many, it will still be much less than 100%

1 Like

I agree but is it the same as in schools? 6ft from nose to nose (it is 3 for us)?

Mixed messaging in this country. The science and data donā€™t seem to be influencing policy.

Hopefully vaccinations will allow cities and counties to confidently move forward. Stricter rules donā€™t necessarily mean getting more people to comply. They just get already compliant people to do more! Canā€™t go to the game at the outdoor stadium? Come over to my living room! A neighbor up the hill and around the corner couldnā€™t use their wedding venue. They put up a huge tent in the street and had 200+ people between their house and outdoor venue eating, drinking, an dancing. They invited all the close by neighbors. Nobody complained.

3 Likes

Any teachers from CT? I just heard that districts will be doing their own vaccines? We would love permission and vaccines to do that!

3 Likes

It melted. :grinning:
Snow in September is kind of fun, itā€™s the snow in October that puts a damper on things.

It actually can snow anytime, except maybe July. After the solstice as the days get shorter, you can start to feel it in the mornings in late August. Always bring a hat & mittens

But the angle of the light in late Sept/October is just beautiful. Totally worth the risk of snow. By far my favorite time of year.

2 Likes