Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I guess they could call it “post-covid” if they mean any time after a person has been infected with the virus.

But that isn’t the generally accepted medical understanding. I understand post-covid (or post-anything, such as post-MI) to mean the acute incident is gone, and the patient is recuperating. For pneumonias this generally means the pneumonia is over, and they’re discharged. For an MI, they may still be in the hospital.

This definition I think is understood by most people reading this thread.

I can only hope it was the TV station who screwed this up, and not anyone at the hospital!

2 Likes

I had a wonderful liner tell me this was published today

Well, procedures and recommendations are evolving as more information comes in. It’s certainly good to be aware of all the possibilities and risks.

My 82 year old mother, who is battling (managing) cancer was told by her doctor to take the vaccine when it’s her turn. But she is still very independent, although slowing down and suffering from arthritis, as well.

It’s so difficult to make an assessment from a short news clip.

Some questions I have:
-What percentage of those who received vaccines were over 80? Since most countries are prioritizing older folks therefore skewing the sample to be older, it makes sense that a larger percentage of adverse effects would occur in older folks.
-What do they mean by frail? What types of medical conditions do these patients have?
-What is the typical rate of death for the age group they are referring to & how does it compare to this sample.
-What is absolute risk of death from vaccination compared to the absolute risk of death from COVID? Because the same population is also going to be at a much increased risk of COVID as well.
-Has this risk been observed in any other countries?

The recommendation has always been not to vaccinate anyone acutely ill.

So basically my assessment of this info is “I need a lot more information before I draw any conclusions.”

5 Likes

Here’s a bit less alarming source on post-COVID pulmonary issues:

Unfortunately, they don’t mention how well people recover from other serious viral infections like the flu for comparison, and I’m afraid I can’t shed any light on that, but it does seem that COVID is harder to recover from.

1 Like

Update or maybe not:
Central Missouri got the news yesterday that Group 1B (I think it is :thinking:) is open. This is emergency services, folks over 65 and teachers. Or so the local news said.

Yesterday the Health Department said call your primary care manager.

One big medical group said today no, call the Health Department.

Everybody - pharmacies, care providers and medical groups - is saying we don’t have any vaccines.

So, apparently, don’t call anyone.

At least that is the first tier.

I will admit that I am giving up hope.

I’m so sorry for you but I’m happy you were able to go visit and make your peace.

2 Likes

yes one of my 20 something coworkers still can’t taste anything, I’ve also heard anecdotally that there can be a strong aversion to chicken?

I don’t understand why the rollout in MA has been so slow. I can’t say I’ve been paying to much attention to the Governors daily updates, but we are just now getting sites setup for first responders… a month after vaccine has been available. Our hospital had it the next day. This should really have been set up by the state and ready to go beforehand.
Also, did they say they are sending amounts by population, correct? Is that why states have up to a million vaccinated already?
Just me venting, about how slow this process seems to be in MA… I thing even an MGH doctor came out and criticized the slow rollout today as well.
Anways,
I had my pre-physical bloodwork done today while I’m working in the lab, and I grabbed my sample and ran a Covid IGG on it just for shits and giggles (I received the first vaccine about 10 days ago). No antibodies yet. I suppose its what I expected, but I’m still a little bummed for my immune system.
On a lighter note, my cholesterol looks great!

5 Likes

I got word today that phase 2 isn’t expected to begin until the end of February. I was surprised - that seems really far behind some of the other comments here from other states.

I know, I can’t really understand why. I guess it goes along with the original chart they sent out, but it just feels like other states are moving way faster.
On a good note through our health system over 22K have been vaccinated.

I’m in MA also. My PCP is with BI and I got an email about being contacted for a vaccine when I am eligible. I am a Phase III candidate so it’s a wait and see where I can get it first.

Good job with the cholesterol!

So we will be starting populations that the CDC said should be 1b at the end of February. Over 75 will be started at the end of February. I have to keep repeating it because I just can’t understand.

Sending hugs!!

1 Like

I haven’t analyzed it, but in some places, apparently significant numbers of health care workers or other early-phase eligible (sometimes half) are declining or deferring. This would allow them to move through the phases faster than places where a high percentages are choosing to be vaccinated. I suspect from comments I’ve heard (but again, haven’t analyzed), that red states have more declining/deferring than blue states. I don’t know how much this is a factor.

1 Like

No, end of February is an adjustment made today.

I’ve done a bit more reading, and apparently vaccines may not cause you to test positive on the antibody tests.

After getting a COVID-19 vaccine, will I test positive for COVID-19 on a viral test?

No. Neither the recently authorized and recommended vaccines nor the other COVID-19 vaccines currently in clinical trials in the United States can cause you to test positive on viral tests, which are used to see if you have a current infection .​

If your body develops an immune response—the goal of vaccination—there is a possibility you may test positive on some antibody tests. Antibody tests indicate you had a previous infection and that you may have some level of protection against the virus. Experts are currently looking at how COVID-19 vaccination may affect antibody testing results.

I am in that group as a teacher. I signed up to be notified through our county health department, but so far they have z-e-r-o vaccinations to even give out.

1 Like

Interesting, I never thought of that perspective. I will have to actually look at the assay we use, but it makes sense.
Thanks for the info!