Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I’m glad it makes sense to you! I gather it has something to do with how they are using the spike protein in the vaccines? It’s a bit above my head understanding the if’s and why’s…

Let me know if I should go back to being upset they didn’t do serology tests to check for post-vaccination asymptomatic cases. :joy: Or perhaps those results are just being delayed while they sort what “may” actually means???

1 Like

Thank you.

I’m sorry to hear it’s a confusing situation there.

We have about 10,000 people give or take but there’s a great COVID website and dashboard for our stats. Our county health officer is a physician (this is not always the case) and he keeps it up-to-date & there’s a Surveymonkey questionnaire that lists the qualifications for the vaccine. The results go to the County Health Department. They will email people who have registered when their tier is up for vaccination.

On the survey one can also pick a site for vaccination, in the three “biggest” towns. (What my dad would call “a wide spot in the road,”.:smile:) This way they can make sure a proportionate amount of vaccine ends up there.

We have really great websites for the town in general, and the mountain, so I’m thinking we have some hidden IT talent around here. So we are lucky in that regard.

One the other hand, I have read that this is not really an advantage right now because many older folks don’t use the internet often or very proficiently. So having slick web design isn’t all it’s cracked up to be for this particular pandemic. What is needed is personal contact- community services or doctor’s offices actually calling and talking to people who don’t have younger folks watching out for them. That takes a lot of manpower. I’m not sure where that comes from.

2 Likes

Here is a study about lockdowns that has caused a stir online. It is one of many to come (I hope) looking at what types of NPIs (non-pharmaceutical interventions) like closures and shelter-in-place are most effective. In summary, the more-restrictive ones weren’t better than less-restrictive NPIs. It did matter that some type of NPI was done.

Now, the stats in here made my eyes glaze over and I’m not at all familiar with some of these terms in case someone else wants to take a crack at it, @amvanhoose_701479 @Jeff_AZ @Tall_Paul1 or anyone with some mad math skilz. It has been peer-reviewed, however.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13484

It’s just my completely anecdotal observation but since personal behavior spreads the illness, the goal is to get persons to behave. It could be that just having any type of restriction telegraphs the seriousness of the situation so that people can, on their own, modify their behavior.

1 Like

The Health Dept in the big town 40 miles north (considered one of the smallest state capitals in the country) has had a questionnaire for at least a couple of weeks. When I filled it out for DH I was fairly impressed then as well. Seemed to have all their ducks in pretty rows. No mention tho that there was no vaccine and no idea when they’d get some. But they’ll be ready.

Family members expect DH to get the vaccine and he’s ok with being vaccinated. I’m not concerned about waiting for vaccines to actually show up. Despite numerous opportunities to get sick, he has at least been asymptomatic.

Two thoughts come to mind - that you might have out there in the wilds of Montana. If you can’t be good be lucky. The second has to do with luck and a swinging boot. I’m not saying DH’s boot is wet inside. But he is lucky.

2 Likes

Yup. They say that they are ready to start vaccinating 1b on Monday. We’ll see.

hah, my DH takes that one step further. “It’s better to be lucky than good.” His father was a professional race car driver, and that was his motto. :wink:

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago I said we might not want to condemn North Dakota’s handling of the pandemic so quickly, that the epidemic was not over and that other states may catch up.

This is fairly consistent with what the scientists who originally formulated our lockdown plans back in 2006 had said. That is, restrictions (at least in the US) defer cases, they don’t prevent them.

At the time, three states (MA, NY and NJ) still had higher fatalities/100k population than ND.

Here is the data today:

Seven states now have worse fatality rates than ND.

It may be that the only thing that prevents COVID cases, is vaccines. If we can defer cases until then in other states, that would be great. Now more than ever, it seems to me that getting the vaccine out is extremely important.

I know that states which have done very well up until now, such as Maine, are beginning to see a surge in cases. Maine is also doing well in getting the vaccine out. They may be one of the few to actually beat the surge. We can hope.

4 Likes

Where I live in Maryland they are going to phase 1b, but a nearby county can’t do it like we can b/c they don’t have any shots left. I am still going to have to wait a long time b/c I’m general population.

For the states entering 1b, what populations are included?

For Ohio, 1B is 65 and older, adults with severe congenital, developmental, or early onset medical disorders, and K-12 teachers. There are phased dates within 1B. Next week only those who are 80 and older can get the vaccine. I was able to snag appointments for both my grandparents for Friday. My Disney planning strategy of refresh, refresh, refresh really paid off in helping to get the appointments!

8 Likes

Great skills! Congrats!

1 Like

In NYC reports were 30% of healthcare workers were declining. Eventually Cuomo gave in on his demand that they ALL be vaccinated first and opened it to group 1B as of the 11th. As far as I know, I’m the only teacher at the site of my school who got it. Many of them are like “Nope.” But they want to fuss about the risks in being open. You can’t have it both ways!

6 Likes

YES!!! I joked last Sunday when I was stalking for my ability to sign up as a teacher that all my planning and stalking FOP FP+s and hard-to-get ADRs (not to mention grabbing Palo brunch and dinner on the cruise line) paid off!

7 Likes

I’m not sure if you use Instagram, but if so @jessicamalatyrivera is an excellent follow. She is discussing the info from Norway in her IG stories tonight.

https://instagram.com/jessicamalatyrivera?igshid=1tgfp0nuw9lze

1 Like

hmmm… I’ve had jobs that required vaccinations… no shots, no job

2 Likes

I agree! I feel like it should be mandatory or you have to go remote.

2 Likes

Thanks, I just don’t know how to get to stories. Does she think it should be followed? It was first reported in Switzerland.

Once you get to her profile in Instagram, click on the her circular profile picture on the top left to see current stories.

1 Like

Thanks!

I understand the patients were frail and they are common side effects . Generally, otter vaccines could cause common side effects in a frail patient. Would those vaccines be given?