Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Thank you!

Thank you for responding

Itā€™s a tough situation. My 99 year old grandmother, who had ovarian cancer since autumn of 2000, was moved to hospice in late November 2001, because medical opinion was that she had about 2 weeks left. She had to be moved from hospice in early December because she was holding steady. Her goal was to live to be 100. She was born 26 December 1901. She made it to her birthday. It was a tough up and down time for her family but what a determined lady.

4 Likes

I think you made the right choice going to see him in that circumstance despite the risk. Prayers for you and the rest of your family to find comfort and peace as you go through this difficult period with him. :pray:

3 Likes

This is so very hard. Taking risks for people we love are just things we have to do sometimes. I am thankful you had a chance to say a goodbye. I wish end of life estimates made sense, but they donā€™t always (clearly if they said 3 months last summer heā€™s already outlived them).

Hugs!

2 Likes

A friend of mine with a health clinic here also posted this.

When others toss caution to the wind, the unknown long term effects of this disease have generally pushed me back towards caution.

On another note, I saw today that Texas has vaccinated 1 million people in a month. As great as that is we need to pick up the pace! Fortunately I have three family members in the 65+ category getting vaccinate in the next week, and Iā€™m happy about that. Two of them already have their second dose scheduled (didnā€™t ask the third).

Ready for my turn. I legitimately understand the concern surrounding getting a brand new vaccine, but I cannot see another path back to anything resembling normal.

3 Likes

this is SO concerningā€¦ and I think again of how the action of some effect others.

Last night they reported that one of the congressmen that had already received their two does had tested positive for C-19. Heā€™s asymptomatic but after seeing this detail Iā€™m wondering what weā€™re going to see going forward. I think Iā€™ll keep my mask on for awhile longer :wink:

True. I admit I gave zero thought to long term effects and banked my whole risk assessment on my family and I being young and healthy. But I have no regrets, because I did follow the rules and only caught it because I went to work as required (while still following all the protocols there). Whatever happens to us long term is out of our hands now, and I will accept that.

2 Likes

It is hard, he has been ready to go for a while since he couldnā€™t carry on with his Ham radio which was a huge part of his life. Heā€™s waiting, weā€™re waiting, and thereā€™s just no way to know. Your grandmother must have had some fighting spirit!

3 Likes

Thank you.

My DH is high risk otherwise I wouldnā€™t be too concerned. Thanks!

1 Like

This goes back to the point (that has NOT been well explained to the public IMHO) that the vaccine prevents you from getting sick - not from catching it. Are those people then capable of spreading it? Seems likely, if at reduced rates. I wonder what your lungs look like if you had an asymptomatic case AFTER vaccination.

No. Iā€™ve done what I can do, within the scope of my ability and my sanity. Occasionally there have been larger risks that thankfully have thankfully left us healthy. If we get COVID, we get COVID. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

yes, Iā€™m sure that doctor and others will be looking at this data too.

1 Like

Totally agree. Itā€™s important for people to understand the difference between sterilizing immunity (which some protein-based vaccine candidates currently in phase 2 development might be able to offer) and effective immunity, which the available mRNA based ones give.

1 Like

Dang it now I need to do more research to understand your words :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That has an easy explanation. I donā€™t care about Disneyland.:wink:

1 Like

:scream:

2 Likes

Itā€™s true. There is no magic for me there. Kind of like The Phantom Menace, my life is better if I just ignore it. It has burned me one too many times.

1 Like

I agree with @BoilerMomPharmD but I would say two things about this video.

First, the doctor is not a pulmonologist and does not take care of COVID patients long-term. She sees them short term, in the ICU. She is a trauma surgeon and as such has excellent training to take care of extremely ill COVID patients in the ICU. A trauma surgeon would not be doing long-term follow up for e medical (nonsurgical) problem, however.

Second, the picture that you see there does not seem to be post-COVID at all. How do I know? Check out the pads and leads on the radiograph. Thatā€™s a hospitalized patient, not one weeks to months out & over the acute infection. The patientā€™s head angle is all wrong- theyā€™re slumped over, not standing upright.

So they are talking about post-COVID, and showing us a patient who is still acutely ill with it.

I am in no way saying that there wonā€™t be long-term ramifications. What I am saying is that this source may not be the best one to get oneā€™s information from. If it bleeds, it leads, and this certainly bleeds.

5 Likes

Thank you for your careful experienced eye

2 Likes