Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

That is how it works in Brazil! Students stay in class and teachers move. There is no curriculum flexibility, everyone takes the exact same classes (if you fail one subject you need to retake the entire year).

I remember being very confused watching US high school movies.

4 Likes

I can only speak for my coworkers. We arenā€™t concerned about getting sick.
And we always lean in closely - probably because itā€™s sensitive info? Granted, these days there are no visitors milling aroundā€¦ But old habits die hard and we usually give report with our heads side-by-side

My homeschooled kids are always confused about school movies. I swear I think they thought all school to be like Little House on the Prairie until they were in their teen years.

4 Likes

The plan from my SD is 3-6 feet for desks. I am comfortable with that. Our SD is offering cyber school for those who arenā€™t. Unfortunately, not everyone will be comfortable with every plan. Iā€™m glad families in our SD and in all SDs in our state will be given that option. Has you SD offered a survey to the parents to understand where most are comfortable? Our SD did and I think it helped them to understand how to proceed with their health and safety plan. I saw the results and over 80% wanted full in person classes when our county is in the green phase.

2 Likes

I know there was some talk on this thread the other day regarding tracking (or the difficulty in tracking) Floridaā€™s covid related hospitalizations.

A Tampa Bay news station had this story which includes a graph of the covid related hospitalization rates of Florida. Itā€™s not the best though, because they do not cite where they obtained the info.

According to this article from the Miami Herald, Florida is finally going to start reporting current hospitalization numbers for all counties this week. I do not yet see it reported on the dashboard or any of the daily reports yet.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243899367.html

The article also mentioned that AHCA reports a daily hospital bed capacity. I did some searching and found the link for that.
https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/HospitalBedsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

I have been alert but not anxious thought this whole ordeal. We take the necessary precautions; social distancing and wearing masks in public, social distancing from friends. Iā€™ve not been ā€œscaredā€ throughout all this, but seeing the number of available beds in my area definitely does give me pause.

2 Likes

2m in the UK, until Saturday when the pubs open funnily enough, when it will reduce to 1m because so many pubs said they couldnā€™t afford to open if it was 2m - most local pubs are small.

1 Like

We are starting from the in person perspective but we are asking if we have to transition to a hybrid model, what model they want. I just think ā€œin personā€ means different things to different people. Issues like masks and to a certain extent the definition of social distance, will come from the state. I just realized that to me, social distance is 6 ft and if that is not reality, I will need to support people for that change.

2 Likes

I agree, and I think we wonā€™t really have solid answers to these pertinent questions until we are well on the other side of this. Until then, all we can do is make the best decision possible using the information currently at hand.

4 Likes

Lol, the think that is going to be the general rule : 2m or 6ft until it is inconvenient- then it is not.

1 Like

I noticed the link that I was checking for state data was taken down the other day.

Definitely.

It is still there, but moved:

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

ETA: The ā€œmasterā€ page which links to that above stats page is here: https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

Huh thatā€™s interesting. There has been a lot of talk in the media today about DeSantisā€™ statement a while back basically saying how everyone said Florida was going to be a hot mess for opening up too early, but contrary to that everything was just peachy. So much for that :roll_eyes:. Iā€™ve heard a lot of people saying they think heā€™s trying to hide info because of the growth of positive cases now.

On a side note, I know DeSantis personally because I went to school with him. I had a strong opinion about him back then. I will not say it here, but it seems he has not changed much. Anyone want to see his yearbook picture :rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

From what I can tell, they arenā€™t hiding anything. Quite the opposite. But they seemed to rearrange the website recently, so if you were linking DIRECTLY to the PDF file, it appeared to have gone missing. But it is still available. Just the address has changed slightly. You can drill down from the master page to get to a bunch of other stats as well.

1 Like

Thank you! I love that data!

I didnā€™t know that PDF was embedded in that site. Why are they reporting antibody tests?

I canā€™t answer thatā€¦but I would think that if they were collecting data that would want to make the information available. It might even be legally required to, as part of a freedom of information act type law or something? It could also be so it can be looked at academically?

1 Like

Wow, my CEO just announced we will be working from home the rest of 2020. YAY! (And scary sadness)

2 Likes

Just curious since those tests do not seem to be very reliable.

1 Like

True. Although, perhaps on an individual case-by-case basis that is true, but that when you ā€œaverageā€ the numbers together, it still paints a good enough picture in broad strokes to be useful.

I did notice that they are listing the results based on the specific lab, which means they might be able to later eliminate the information from labs that are using tests they deem too unreliable.

1 Like